Library Data Referral Tree
- 1a. Emperor / Empress / Karun
- 1b. Prince / Princess / Karand
- 2a. Archduke / Archduchess / Apkallu Kibrat Arban
- 2b. Grand Duke / Grand Duchess
- 3a. Subsector Duke / Subsector Duchess / Saarpuhii
- 3b. Duke / Duchess / Saarpuhii
- 4. Count / Countess (Contessa) / Sarriiu or Shakkanakhu
- 5. Viscount / Viscountess / Sarriiu or Shakkanakhu
- 6. Marquis / Marchioness (Marquesa) / Sarriiu or Shakkanakhu
- 7. Baron / Baroness / Iishakku
- 8. Baronet / Baronetess / Iishakku
- 9. Knight / Dame / Kiduunuuzii
- 10. Gentleman / Gentlewoman / Gentlesophont
Subsector Dukes are more powerful than conventional world-state dukes and control, influence, or outright lead several mainworlds, generally over the territory of a subsector. They influence other planetary leaders through the system of feudal confederation. They also maintain subsector navies, uphold the Warrant of Restoration, and cooperate with the Imperial Navy.
The sixth and seventh levels of noble rank are called dukes, and are either associated with a subsector capital world or an important world within a subsector. Those associated with a subsector capital world are the governing Subsector Duke of the subsector. Dukes are referred to either by the Ducal title followed by "of" and the subsector name, or by the Ducal title followed by "of" and the world-name, as appropriate. The power of a duke depends on circumstances and the situation within the sector, but generally one duke within a sector rises to power and becomes the Sector Duke, the overseer of that sector as a whole. No special title is awarded to a Sector Duke.
- An individual accorded a lesser duchy may receive a fief of land, generally not more than 100,000 km2, and/or 64 terrain hexes on worlds within his fief-world's sector, with an associated non-mainworld terrain hex for each mainworld hex in the same respective system(s) if he has an appointment as an Imperial Landed Noble. Landed Lesser Dukes fiefs are generally granted on worlds deemed Important by the Imperium.
- Lesser Dukes titles can be granted in a variety of indivdually specific forms based upon the manner or reason for which the title was granted. Examples of such titles might include: Duke, Count-Duke, Local Duke, Lesser Duke, Short Duke, Long Duke, Border Duke, March Duke, Vice-Duke, Co-Duke, Regent-Duke, etc.
- An individual accorded a Subsector Duchy will receive a fief of land, generally not more than 100,000 km2, and/or 128 terrain hexes on worlds within the fief-world's sector, with an associated non-mainworld terrain hex for each mainworld hex in the same respective system(s). Subsector Dukes are always associated with subsector capital worlds.
Subsector Dukes are a key part of the system of feudal confederation and higher placed nobles must inspire the loyalty and service of at least sixteen subsector dukes to control a sector. Subsector dukes often become embroiled in smaller conflicts trying to adjust county lines, trade routes, and local matters of noble dispute. Some subsector dukes have become involved with complicated conspiracies and plots, including forbidden actions involving corsair vessels or foreign powers.