|Imperial Navy Ranks|
|O10 » Grand Admiral|
|O9 » Sector Admiral|
|O8c » Fleet Admiral (Admiral)|
|O8b » Fleet Admiral (Vice Admiral)|
|O8a » Fleet Admiral (Rear Admiral)|
|O7 » Commodore|
|O6 » Captain|
|O5 » Commander|
|O4 » Lieutenant Commander|
|O3 » Lieutenant|
|O2 » Sub-Lieutenant|
|O1 » Ensign|
|O0 » Cadet / Midshipman|
|E9 » Master Chief Petty Officer (MCPO)|
|E8 » Senior Chief Petty Officer (SCPO)|
|E7 » Chief Petty Officer (CPO)|
|E6 » Petty Officer First Class (PO1)|
|E5 » Petty Officer Second Class (PO2)|
|E4 » Petty Officer Third Class (PO3)|
|E3 » Able Spacehand (ASH)|
|E2 » Spacehand (SH)|
|E1 » Spacehand Apprentice (A)|
|E0 » Spacehand Recruit (R)|
- It is the "Regular Navy" of the Third Imperium.
- It is supplemented by the Colonial Navy, or more accurately many colonial navies, which is comprised of the many starbourne fighting forces of the many smaller states that owe fealty to the Emperor.
- Naval personnel are colloquially known as "spacers".
The Third Imperium shall support Free Trade among its members. No member shall engage in piracy or smuggling, nor allow its territory to be used for piracy or smuggling, nor shall it issue letters of marque or reprisal or other permission for ships operating within its territory to engage in piracy or smuggling.
The Third Imperium shall defend its territory forcefully enforcing Imperial Rule within the borders of Imperial Space. It expresses the will of the Emperor.
These are the mandates of the Imperial Navy.
Combatant Largecraft & Bigcraft
Non-combatant & Paramilitary Largecraft & Bigcraft
Combatant & Noncombatant Smallcraft
"An interstellar community operates under many unique restrictions, most notably the fact that it consist of many island-planets set in an ocean of vacuum. Such a society must take control of that ocean. Its instrument is the Navy.
The Imperium is a remote, centralized government possessed of great industrial and technological might; but due to the sheer distances and travel times involved within its star-spanning realm, the Imperium is unable to be everywhere at once. As a result, the Imperium allows a large degree of autonomy to its subject worlds, calling only for some respect for its overall policies, and for a united front against outside pressures.
To monitor the space lanes, the Imperium maintains a Navy. Because these forces can never be everywhere at once, local provinces (subsectors) also maintain navies, as do individual worlds. This three tiered structure of Imperial, subsector, and planetary navies produces a flexible system for patrolling space, while putting the limited resources of the Imperium to best use."
- Grand Admiral Marc William Miller from the Master Naval Manual, in the introduction to Book 5 High Guard (pg. 1), written in 1110 (paraphrased).
Strategy & Doctrine (Operations)
New Strategy: Once again the Imperial Navy was at peace, with little more to occupy it other than anti-piracy patrols. Until, in 1082, the Zhodani invaded the Jewell Subsector, kicking off the Fourth Frontier War. This was brought to a close by the Battle of Two Suns in 1084.
Following what is often called the False War, the Admiralty began a fundamental reexamination of their strategy. Prior to that, naval policy had favored a "crust" strategy, with major fleet elements well forward in potential trouble spots such as the Spinward Marches. For decades this strategy had been effective due to the tremendous technological and material lead enjoyed by the Imperium over its neighbors. The Fourth Frontier War demonstrated, however, that the Imperium's lead had narrowed to the point that a clear superiority could no longer be achieved at all points along the frontier.
The new strategy came to be known as the "elastic defense" posture. Priority in the new strategy has been placed on a minimum of fleet assets initially in the actual border areas, but with much larger reserves available for commitment to any one region in the event of war. Within the frontier itself, colonial forces have been strengthened and centered around selected "islands of resistance," high population, high technology worlds capable of withstanding protracted sieges. These forward elements are intended to delay any hostile advances and disrupt sieges of key worlds, until major reserves can intervene and reestablish the status quo.
This new strategy proved effective when the Zhodani Consulate and Outworld Coalition forces started the Fifth Frontier War in 1107. The Metal Worlds in the Sword Worlds Subsector were captured and an armistice was signed, ending the war in 1110.
The Imperial Navy began its life as the Sylean Federation Naval Service during the expansion of the federation, and in its life as the SFNS fought many wars and battles against other empires around and within the final borders of the Sylean Federation. Theirs was not a peaceful life in the later years of the Federation, but the experience and loyalty engendered in the service was to stand it in good stead in the future.
Please see the following article for more information:
Tables of Organization (Organizational Structure)
The Grand Strategic direction of the Navy is undertaken by the Emperor and administered by the Admiralty Board.
Please see the following article for more information:
Representative Equipment & Classes
The following sub-units and types form this fleet:
Selected Ship Classes & Types
Some ship types and classes that are widely used within Imperial Space include:
- Adlerstein class Fleet Courier
- Antiama class Fleet Carrier
- Arakoine class Strike Cruiser
- Atlantic class Heavy Cruiser
- Azhanti High Lightning class Frontier Cruiser AKA Lightning class Frontier Cruiser
- Broadsword class Mercenary Cruiser
- Brown class Jump Ship
- Chrysanthemum class Destroyer Escort
- Donosev class Survey Scout
- Empress Troyhune class Planetoid Monitor
- Fer-de-lance class Destroyer Escort
- Fiery class Close Escort
- Flash class System Defense Boat
- Gazelle class Close Escort
- Ghalalk class Armored Cruiser
- Gionetti class Light Cruiser
- Hadrian class Battle Rider
- Kinunir class Battle Cruiser
- Kokirrak class Dreadnought
- Lylvir class Light Assault Troop Carrier
- Midu Agashaam class Destroyer
- Penaru-8 class Light Cruiser
- P. F. Sloan class Fleet Escort
- Plankwell class Dreadnought
- Skirmish class Light Carrier
- Sulieman class Scout/Courier
- Tigress class Dreadnought
- Wind class Strike Carrier
- Xavier class Express Boat
Some smallcraft types and classes that are widely used within Imperial Space include:
- Assault Lander class Marine Gig
- Automated Attack Craft
- Bombardier class Ground attack Fighter
- Bubble class Fuel Cutter
- Carrier Support Fighter
- Constable class System Defence Fighter
- Damgarrii class Passenger Launch
- Darlene class Gig
- Dryad class Fighter
- Gillow class Launch
- Gnat class Light Fighter
- Grigrot class Strike Fighter
- Grizzly class Heavy Fighter
- Gyro class Turret Wing Fighter
- Iramda class Fighter
- Kestrel class Fighter
- Khuilrakh class Light Fighter
- Likuurka class Bomber
- Magnum class Heavy Fighter
- Manta class Escort Fighter
- Model 292 class Life Boat
- Nolrrgarrai class Strike Fighter
- Paulos class Troop Transport
- Rampart class Fighter
- SK-3 class Lifeboat
- Stardart class Fighter
- Sylea class Heavy Fighter
- Sylean class Heavy Fighter
- Type F class Fighter
- Type FH class Heavy Fighter
- Type FL class Light Fighter
- Type FM class Medium Fighter
- Wildbat class Fighter
- Wildcat class Fighter
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
This military is primarily located in the following areas:
Military Facilites: Depots
No information yet available.
World Listing: 1105
This military is known to regularly operate on the following systems and worlds:
- Imperial Navy (IN)
- Imperial Army (IA)
- Imperial Interstellar Scout Service (IISS)