- The majority of Escorts are considered ACS craft between 100.0 to 2,499 tons in displacement.
- A few larger Escorts are included in the BCS category from 2,500 to 249,999 tons in displacement.
- They are capable of independent action, but are usually assigned to support Battleships, Cruisers, convoys, battle squadrons, and the like.
- Many call them escorts or secondary combatants.
- The Supraclass designation is also known as Ship Mission, Ship Mission Code, Mission, or Ship Hull Designation.
- It is a starship supraclass.
Library Data Referral Tree
- Advanced Ship Classifications
- Basic Ship Classifications
Small starships of up to 20,000 tons intended to be light support craft for larger ships, primarily cruisers. Escorts are also widely used for convoy protection and commerce raiding roles.
- No image yet available.
- A Valor class Missile Corvette preparing to go to battle readiness.
- A Malory Francis class Missile Corvette with its distinctive sensor booms.
- No image yet available.
- No image yet available.
- The Oegveng class Gunned Corvette is a Vargr very light combatant known for having a dangerous punch.
- No image yet available.
- A Cleaver class Close Escort in side view.
- A Halaheike class Pocket Warship streaming through hostile space with all weapons blazing.
Escort Combatants (Secondary) - The Lightcraft Hierarchy
- Smallcraft (F or U) (0 to 99 tons)
- Bigcraft (W or Other) (100 or larger tons)
- Escort (E) (100 to 2,499 tons)
- Destroyer (D) (2,500 or larger tons)
Escort vs. Frigate vs. Cruiser?
CONFUSING TERMINOLOGY: Escorts are small vessels; they aren't meant to duke it out in line combat situations like cruisers and battleships. They are meant to flexible vessels with strategic mobility, a sort of skirmisher combatant, not meant for the main line.
The term frigate can be used with different meanings. Most use it as a subset of the escort class of secondary combatants meant to be smaller than a cruiser or destroyer. Others have used it as a near-cruiser class that can weigh tens of thousands of tons. In most applications, it means an ACS or smaller BCS-sized vessel.
Then there are Cruisers who lack size and hitting power, but typically possess speed and endurance. They cruise or move speedily compared to larger capital ships. These are often small, speedy vessels that hit over weight for their size class, but would stand next to no chance against a naval fleet sized slugger of a combatant. Vessels such as the Lightning class Frontier Cruiser or Broadsword class Mercenary Cruiser are this smaller, latter type, not the larger vessels of the line. In the same vein, man-powered surface vehicles called bicycles are also called cruisers. They are cruisers in name only.
Strategy & Doctrine (Operations)
The mainstay of the escort fleet is the ED series. These escort destroyers are typical of Imperial needs. The ED-13, derived from the ED-12, was relatively unsuccessful, and the naval architects returned to the ED-12 for inspiration for the later ED-14. The EF-12 served as the design basis for two divergent ship types: the escort fleet (...and later escort strike designs) and the escort missile EM-13/-15.
They often serve on orbital patrols, police operations, garrison duties, and even limited strike missions.
Escorts typically serve the following roles:
|E-class Escort Supraclass Archetypes|
|Attack Torpedo Boat||(EEM)|
|Corvette||(EC) or (EG)|
|Fast Attack Craft||(EFAC)|
|Light Fleet Corvette||(EG)|
Size-Class Roles for Lighter Vessels
- Utility Craft (U) (1 to 99 tons)
- Light Escort (EL) (100 to 999 tons)
- Medium Escort (EM) (1,000 to 1,499 tons)
- Heavy Escort (EH) (1,500 to 2,499 tons)
- Superheavy Escort (EU) (2,500 or larger tons)
- Destroyer (D) (2,500 to 9,999 tons)
- Capital Ship (Various) (100,000 or larger tons)
- Battle Rider (BR)
- Combat Barge (WBG)
- Combat Transport Smallcraft (UI)
- Fighters (F)
- Militarized Utility Craft (UQ)
Supraclass Archetypal Roles
These vessels typically serve the following archetypal roles:
|E-class Escort Supraclass Archetypes|
|Escort||E (Namesake)||Gazelle class Close Escort||An Escort is an often used term for any ships whose primary focus is on providing escort duty to either military or civilian vessels. These ship range in the 200 to 5,000-ton category. The classification of "Escort" is usually reserved for larger vessels of this class and is often commingled with that of "Fleet Escort", but they lack the ability to support longer term deployments of the later type.
|Brigantine||EB||Analex class Brig||None
|Corvette||EC||Ueghzgi class Corvette||Standard Corvettes are the smallest class of escort usually massing about 200 tons. Although they do possess jump capability they are more often used as an in system defense asset. Their jump capability gives them a little more flexibility then SDBs and some systems use them as armed couriers. 200 tons on average.
|Escort Corvette||EC||Fiery class Gunned Escort||Escort Corvettes are at the other end of the spectrum from "Fleet Escorts" and only range about 200 - 500 tons. They do not have much in the way of weapons, armor, or crew, but they are usually enough of a deterrent to most pirates, especially smaller ones, that they do fill a valued role in convoy duty. 200 to 5,000 tons.
|Close Escort||ECE||Gazelle class Close Escort||Close escorts tend to be one of the smallest class of escort vessel and are primarily found in the 200 - 500 ton range. They are considered to have low endurance and are tend to be cramped, uncomfortable vessels with small crews. Although they are jump capable, they can conserve their resources by clamping to unoccupied hardpoints on other vessels when not in jump space. This feature is source of their designation. 200 to 5,000 tons
|Line Escort||EE||Type A7 class Cruiser||None
|Missile Escort||EEM||Ramrod class Missile Boat||Escorts of any size whose primary weapon load is missiles. These are not common vessels and they are usually pair up with other types of escort vessels. When that is the situation, they can add an unsuspecting punch to an unwary opponent.
|Destroyer Escort||DE||Chrysanthemum class Destroyer Escort||None
|Frigate||EF||Rr'xighik'ker class Frigate||None
|Fleet Escort||EFE||P. F. Sloan class Fleet Escort||Fleet escorts are small, maneuverable, lightly armed warship, usually in the 1,000 - 5,000 tonnage range. The main difference between fleet escorts and others of the type of vessel is that they tend to be larger and be equipped with fuel scoops and purification plants. They have the jump and maneuver performance to keep pace with the capital ships with which they are assigned. The goal for these vessels is to be able to support fleet deployments and pose the least burdens on fleet supply capabilities. Typical missions include protecting fleet refueling, assault or carrier operations from enemy strike elements. They are noted as necessary but not necessarily glamorous fleet assignments for officers. 200 to 5,000 tons.
Fleet Escorts (EFE) are the largest of the escorts. They are primarily designed to accompany Imperial fleets. However, some classes have often been sent on independent missions - gunboat diplomacy, showing the flag, orbital support of ground operations, transport of diplomats or refugees, fleet courier operations, and even flagship duty for some smaller squadrons. An example is the P. F. Sloan class Fleet Escort.
These are relatively low displacement vessels (1-10,000tons) designed to support larger squadrons of ships. They are typically deployed for support and play a defensive role for the formation. The usually have the jump and maneuver performance to keep pace with the capital ships with which they are assigned. They might be tasked with protecting fleet refueling, assault, or carrier operations from enemy strike elements. They are noted as necessary but not necessarily glamorous fleet assignments for officers. 
|Military Corvette||EG||Fiery class Gunned Escort||None
|Heavy Escort||EH||Blade class Frigate||A Heavy Escort is a size-displacement category which includes vessels that weigh between 1,500 to 2,499 tons.
|Light Escort||EL||Ekawsiykua class Escort||A Light Escort is a size-displacement category which includes vessels that weigh between 100 to 999 tons.
|Medium Escort||EM||Chrysanthemum class Destroyer Escort||A Medium Escort is a size-displacement category which includes vessels that weigh between 1,000 to 1,499 tons.
|Sloop||ES||River class Sloop||TBD
|Superheavy Escort||EU||No exemplar yet available.||TBD
|Patrol Cruiser||HT||Shivva class Patrol Frigate||Patrol Ships (sometimes AKA Patrol Boats) are usually smaller vessels, lightly armed or unarmed, but generally with plenty of sensors, designed to maintain order in an area of space among people and ships who are inclined to be orderly in the first place. They tend to be used for space-traffic, safety and compliance patrols in areas without a lot of armed threats; a Patrol Boat may have enough firepower to deter minor threats, but isn't usually employed in places where even minor threats are likely.
|NOTES: There is semantic overlap between many of the classes and codes. Some codes organize by mission or capability, others by size and tonnage, and yet others by other characteristics.|
Escorts are the smallest, capable warships that are still capable of viable interstellar force projection.
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Type EB class Brig
- Type EC class Close Escort
- Athune class Close Escort
- Breaker class Corvette
- Bunker class Close Escort
- Convoyer class Close Escort
- Cozzi class Corvette
- Durt class Escort Corvette
- Egek'aa class Corvette
- Emerald class Escort Corvette
- Eradicator class Escort Corvette
- Esqua class Escort Corvette
- Gazelle class Close Escort
- Gem class Close Escort
- Grisha class Corvette
- Hatchet class Light Corvette
- Hopkins class Escort Corvette
- Javelin class Escort Corvette
- Jimenez class Escort Corvette
- KE8 Blockade class Lancer
- KE9 Unleashed class Escort Corvette
- Kotaka class Escort Corvette
- Lancer class Corvette
- Malcolm class Corvette
- Mongoose class Close Escort
- Patrol class Close Escort
- Qatan class Escort Corvette
- Risa class Close Escort
- Shalis class Patrol Corvette
- Sieno class Close Escort
- Sii'kha class Escort Corvette
- Stalwart class Corvette
- Sultanhisar class Escort Corvette
- TC9 Forgald class Escort Corvette
- Toad SR7T class Yacht / Warsloop
- Type CE class Close Escort
- Type EC class Corvette
- Vaward class Close Escort
- Wasinki class Corvette
- Wyvern class Escort Corvette
- Xebec class Explorer
- Type EE class Line Escort
- Type EEM class Missile Escort
- Admiral Gorshkov class Missile Corvette
- Ballista class Solar Sailor
- Barnard's Star class Missile Boat
- Berghoff class Missile Boat
- Black Rock class Missile Frigate
- C-9 class Missile Corvette
- Jaradin class Missile Corvette
- Kalaron class Missile Sloop
- Kyle Strum class Missile Corvette
- Malory Francis class Missile Corvette
- Richtofen class Missile Corvette
- Silversun class Missile Corvette
- Type 056 Jiangdao class Missile Corvette
- Type ECM class Missile Corvette
- Valor class Missile Corvette
- Type DE class Destroyer Escort
- Agrippa class Destroyer Escort
- Aurdesko class Destroyer Escort
- Chrysanthemum class Destroyer Escort
- Fer-de-Lance class Destroyer Escort
- Gable class Destroyer Escort
- Ipltsiedle class Destroyer Escort
- Isokaze class Destroyer Escort
- Lucifer class Destroyer Escort
- Moshulu class Destroyer Escort
- Mossip class Destroyer Escort
- Nederland class Destroyer Escort
- Shamshir class Destroyer Escort
- Snow class Destroyer Escort
- Type D47 class Destroyer Escort
- Type HDE class Destroyer Escort
- Tyrian Lordship class Destroyer Escort
- Velroi class Escort Destroyer
- Zdieench class Destroyer Escort
- Zhdits class Destroyer Escort
- Zhosibadle class Destroyer Escort
- Type EF class Frigate
- Accel class Light Frigate
- Chaiik class Frigate
- Dead Sun class Frigate
- Draper class Frigate
- Ghost class Frigate
- Hazard class Frigate
- Idris class Frigate
- KE11 Ancestor class Frigate
- Kinunir class Vanguard Cruiser
- Krivak class Frigate
- Last Armada class Fast Escort
- Leedos class Frigate
- Mangle class Frigate
- Maurus class Frigate
- Montgomery class Frigate
- Musuna class Frigate
- Naga class Frigate
- Nevato class Frigate
- Nonsuch class Patrol Frigate
- Nowa Sol class Frigate
- Oorlog Jacht class Frigate
- Pilum class Frigate
- Plasma Storm class Frigate
- Revenge War Sloop class Corvette
- Rr'xighik'ker class Frigate
- S-17r class Frigate
- Sardis class Frigate
- Se Koez class Frigate
- Surprise class Light Frigate
- Taranil class Patrol Frigate
- TC10 Kalsop class Frigate
- Type 053H Xiamen class Frigate
- Type G class Frigate
- Type VF class Frigate
- Uxkoong class Frigate
- Yubari class Frigate
- Type EFE class Fleet Escort
- Callus Heart class Fleet Escort
- Delta Max class Fleet Escort
- Dredlezhdr class Fleet Escort
- Ejdle class Fleet Escort
- Gvurrnakhth class Fleet Escort
- Ietlzhdrzhdrkre class Fleet Escort
- Iron Boot class Fleet Escort
- KE10 Rapacious class Fleet Escort
- Type FE class Fleet Escort
- Zuugalish class Fleet Escort
- Type EG class Military Corvette
- Antarian class Corvette
- Banya class Light Fleet Corvette
- Berka class Heavy Fleet Corvette
- Fiery class Gunned Escort
- Flare class Gunboat
- Foxtrot class Corvette
- Gunbuster class Corvette
- Kalaron class Corvette
- KE7 Virulent class Corvette
- Kodan class Corvette
- Lakr class Corvette
- Lawful Means class Corvette
- Menace class Corvette
- Ming class Corvette
- Oegveng class Gunned Corvette
- Polaris class Corvette
- Rule of Man class Gunboat
- TC8 Nedric class Corvette
- Type RG class Assault Gunship
- Ueghzgi class Corvette
- Type EH class Heavy Escort
- Type EL class Light Escort
- Biter class Close Escort
- C-4 class Interceptor
- Chasseur class Close Escort
- Cleaver class Close Escort
- Edinburgh class Light Frigate
- Eitehr class Frigate
- Ekawsiykua class Escort
- Freya class Patrol Cutter
- K'Thud class Warship
- Kalarak class Lancer
- Kalaron class Escort
- Kearsarge class Close Escort
- Lancer class Light Escort
- Oppenheimer class Light Escort
- Osa class Missile Sloop
- Plokl class Escort
- Primarch class Ketch
- Reckless Errand class Close Escort
- Rift class War Galley
- Samardin class Patrol Sloop
- Sargon class Close Escort
- Turku class Light Escort
- Type 043 Yuan class Mine Countermeasure Ship
- Type-21 class Missile Sloop
- Wolf class Strike Escort
- Yarra class War Sloop
- Type EM class Medium Escort
- Type ES class Sloop
- Type EU class Superheavy Escort
Ship Summary List
Some of the most commonly used vessels in this role or these roles include:
|204 Representative Escort (E) Classes|
|11 Representative Brigantine (EB) Classes|
|40 Representative Close Escort / Escort Corvette (EC) Classes|
- ED Escort Destroyer: Please see Destroyer Escort
|26 Representative Line / Multipurpose Escort (EE) Classes|
|15 Representative Missile Escort (EEM) Classes|
|44 Representative Frigate (EF) Classes|
|10 Representative Fleet Escort (EFE) Classes|
|21 Representative Military Corvette (EG) Classes|
|8 Representative Heavy Escort (EH) Classes|
|26 Representative Light Escort (EL) Classes|
|3 Representative Medium Escort (EM) Classes|
|12 Representative Sloop (ES) Classes|
|5 Representative Superheavy Escort (EU) Classes|
|20 Representative Destroyer Escort (DE) Classes|
|24 Representative Patrol Cruiser (HT) Classes|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|