Cleaver class Close Escort
|Cleaver class Close Escort|
Distant Fringe vessel.
|Type: EL Close Escort|
|Canon||No. Unpublished, non-canon fan design.|
|Cost|| MCr1008.709 (base)|
|EOS||Still in active service.|
|IOC||No information yet available.|
|Passengers||0 High/Med 6 Low|
|QSP||No information yet available.|
|Starships are designed with the Classic Traveller format, using Book 5 High Guard|
The Cleaver class Close Escort is a Close Escort.
- It is a Paramilitary Ship and a Warship.
- Please also see AAB article: Ships of the Distant Fringe.
- Please also see AAB article: Warships of the Distant Fringe.
A generic class of small warship, the Light Corvette is an escort vessel frequently encountered along Star Lanes within the Distant Fringe region. It is classified as a Close Escort and is constructed as a conventional design. Similar designs have been in use from the time the Distant Fringe was first settled.
- The vessel is a TL-11 design.
Basic Ship Characteristics
Following the Imperial Navy and IISS Universal Ship Profile and data, additional information is presented in the format shown here. The small craft factor indicates the number of squadrons (...of ten subcraft) carried on the ship. Tonnage on the universal ship profile is shown in kilotons (...thousands of tons) where necessary. 
|Basic Ship Characteristics |
|1.||Tonnage||The Light Corvette is constructed using a 1,000 dTon hull built in a generally wedge-shaped configuration. The hull is fully streamlined, giving good atmospheric performance that is further enhanced by its onboard gravitic systems.|
|2.||Crew|| 21 personnel.
There are 6 Low Berths, primarily used for emergency medical purposes.
|3.||Performance|| The vessel mounts a DeVoss-type Jump-2 drive, a Maneuver-4 drive, and a Power Plant-4, giving performance of Jump-2, 4-G acceleration, and producing 40 Energy Points. The ship has an agility rating of 2 and an emergency agility of 4. The internal fuel tankage is sufficient for two Jump-2s and gives the power plant 6 weeks duration.
|4.||Electronics|| Adjacent to the bridge is a Model/4 Computer: the vessel has a backup Model/4 Computer.
|5.||Hardpoints|| x10 hardpoints.
|6.||Armament||The normal weapons fit-out for a Light Corvette is:|
|7.||Defenses||The hull is plated and structurally reinforced, with an armor rating of 8.|
|9.||Fuel Treatment||The vessel has internal fuel tankage of 240 dTons.|
|10.||Cost||The basic cost of the vessel is MCr1008.709.|
|11.||Construction Time|| 120 weeks (30 months) as standard.
|12.||Comments||Standard cargo capacity amounts to 10 dTons.|
Distant Fringe Vessels
The Distant Fringe is said to be a far spinward-rimward area inhabited by colonists and refugees originating on Terra. The region is extremely isolated, separated from the rest of Charted Space by vast, almost uncrossable rifts that were once broached by a system of calibration Points and the use of tankers. Those few academics within Charted Space who have found references to the Distant Fringe regard it as little more than a tall tale. Likewise, many of the inhabitants of the Distant Fringe believe the existence of Charted Space to be mythical.
Vessels originating within the Distant Fringe are very rarely encountered outside of the region. However, misjumps do occur and anomalies with bizarre spacetime and Jumpspace effects exist: as such, craft of this type are not entirely unknown within Charted Space.
Class Naming Practice/s & Peculiarities
Each vessel within the class is named by the government of the state that produces it. They generally draw on traditional naming protocols and it is not uncommon for a historical class name to be reused.
- Individual vessels within the class are issued specific serial numbers and transponder codes.
- Naming a ship is considered a serious affair and is generally accompanied by a traditional ceremony, usually pouring a local beverage over the bows of the craft. Starfarers tend to be superstitious folk and a ship with a frivolous name is considered "unlucky".
The class are nicknamed "axeheads" due to their upright wedge-shaped configuration.
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Type EL class Light Escort
- Biter class Close Escort
- C-4 class Interceptor
- Chasseur class Close Escort
- Cleaver class Close Escort
- Edinburgh class Light Frigate
- Eitehr class Frigate
- Ekawsiykua class Escort
- Freya class Patrol Cutter
- K'Thud class Warship
- Kalarak class Lancer
- Kalaron class Escort
- Kearsarge class Close Escort
- Lancer class Light Escort
- Oppenheimer class Light Escort
- Osa class Missile Sloop
- Plokl class Escort
- Primarch class Ketch
- Reckless Errand class Close Escort
- Rift class War Galley
- Samardin class Patrol Sloop
- Sargon class Close Escort
- Turku class Light Escort
- Type 043 Yuan class Mine Countermeasure Ship
- Type-21 class Missile Sloop
- Wolf class Strike Escort
- Yarra class War Sloop
|This article has Metadata|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Marc Miller, Frank Chadwick, John Harshman. High Guard (Game Designers Workshop, 1980), 20-37. (Design Sequence Used)
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science