An Inertial Compensator is gravitic technology device capable of counteracting the affects of inertia.
- It is also known as the Inertial Damper, Deceleration Compensator, Inertial Equalizer, Acceleration Compensator, or Drive Compensator.
- It is a kind of Ship Equipment.
It allows pilots to overcome physiological limits when controlling very high performance craft.
The system operates by providing an acceleration to things inside the hull of a craft via an artificial gravity field that exactly offsets that generated by the drive of the vessel. This has two side-effects:
- Where the information regarding the ships drive output is unavailable, the compensator cannot perfectly compensate
- Unexpected accelerations (e.g. crashes or other impacts) cannot be perfectly compensated for
Failure of the compensator is a serious event in any ship even under small accelerations.
It is a step towards developing the Inertialess drive.
- Inclined seats.
- Crash couches/Acceleration Couches.
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|