- For the Close Orbit and Airspace Control Command Rank, see Pilot
- A pilot is a member of a ship's crew
- That individual must often be qualified (and appropriately skilled) to perform the role.
- They may be called Flyers. when they helm an aircraft.
The Role of Pilot is that of manoeuvring the vessel under their control through space or atmosphere. Thus the term may apply to those physically steering the vessel (when they may be known as the 'Helmsman) or those instructing the Sophont physically steering the vessel. On smaller vessels, the Pilot may also be the Captain.
Most legal jurisdictions require each starship and non-starship to have a pilot, who must have pilot skill. Similarly, Small craft require a pilot who must have ship's boat skill. Such legal requirements will usually note the types of certification required to prove the competence of the individual.
Related Specialist Roles
An individual's skill as a Pilot is rated by their Certificate:
- Level 1 (Qualified)
- Level 2 (Competent)
- Level 3 (Experienced / Expert)
- Level 4 or more (Master)