SOPHONT: A generalized term for an intelligent lifeform and technology-using being [Native Intelligent Life (NIL)] or Sapient, including humans as well as intelligent aliens, that have a significant interstellar presence within Charted Space.
- The number of sophonts which have been contacted is quite high; the Imperium boasts more than a hundred; Charted Space boasts more than four hundred.
- Tools are used to adapt, change, or control an environment. Tool-using cultures are groups of beings (not necessarily sophonts) with the ability to find or make tools.
- But, using tools is not enough: Technology is the ability to use tools to make other tools. Only when societies make the leap to using tools to make tools do they become technological.
- Technology builds on the successes of earlier tool-making experiences, and enables a progression to ever-higher levels.
Library Data Referral Tree
- Human Race
- Major Race
- Minor Race
- Non-human Race
- Variant Race
Derived from the Terran Greek word Sophia, meaning wisdom.
A Sophont is a member of a species (race) generally recognized as sapient that has achieved a presence on an interstellar scale.
- Sophonts are consistently described with a long name in the format “the [race name] of [homeworld]”. For example, the Llellewyoly of Junidy.
- Higher Ensouled Being
- Highly Intelligent Being
- HILF (higher intelligent life form)
- True Artificial Intelligence
Cycle of Life & Sophontic Civilization
- A-life → Proto-Life → Creatures → Proto-Sophonts → Sophonts → Transcendents → Ascendants → Singularity
- Proto-Life (transitory stage)
- Proto-Sophonts (transitory stage)
- Transcendents (transitory stage)
History & Background (Dossier)
Remarks: Any intelligent species. Sophont is preferred to Sapient, although the two terms are roughly synonymous. The IISS assumes a vague hierarchy in which sapient is inferior to sophont (roughly, sapients as a species have not left their homeworld, and sophonts are present in interstellar society).
- Sentient technically means “feeling” and should not be used to describe an intelligent species.
- Sophont encompasses all intelligent species.
- The study of sophonts or intelligent life forms is sophontology; some older IISS materials used xenology, or even xenoanthropology, but sophontology is preferred.
Sophont Species Listing
Academic Sophont Sources
Some of the best guides to studying sophonts in Charted Space include:
- Frank Chadwick, John Harshman, J. Andrew Keith, Marc Miller, Loren Wiseman. The Traveller Adventure (Game Designers Workshop, 1983), 144.
- Periodical: MegaTraveller Travellers' Digest No. 6 in article: 'Persons and Unpersons: What constitutes Intelligence'
- Periodical: Stellar Reaches 22
- Novel: Traveller 5th Edition Agent of the Imperium
- EXTERNAL LINK: Citations for Sophont
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science