Homo sapiens Imperial
|Homeworld location||Terra (Solomani Rim 1827)|
|Primary Star||G2 V|
Humaniti is a major race dominating the Imperium and several other interstellar communities.
Humans, on average, stand approximately 1.8 meters in height and weigh about 100 kilograms. The genetic homeworld of Humaniti is believed to be Terra (Solomani Rim 1827). Humans have a conventional carbon-water based biochemistry. Humans employ a conventional respiration cycle consisting of Oxygen-Nitrogen inhalant and Carbon dioxide-Nitrogen exhalant.
- Humanoid (Hominid)
- Bilateral symmetry (2-ial)
- Tetrapod (4-ped)
- Two limbs used for manipulation "arms"
- Former brachiator (still capable climber)
- Two limbs used for locomotion (biped) "legs"
- Two limbs used for manipulation "arms"
- Body consists of three segments
- 1. Head with sensors and multiple-use orifice (...consumption, communication, and respiration)
- 2. Torso with manipulatory limbs
- 3. Abdomen with locomotor limbs
Climate and environment preferences
- Hyper-acclimitization: Known to quickly adapt to many different climates and environments.
- Requires shelter and clothing.
- Prefer to shelter in defensible dens protected from the elements.
This species holds the following environmental preferences:
- Terrestrial planet
- Temperate climate
- Forest or grassland ecotope
- Standard gravity
- Standard atmosphere
Humans are primarily a diurnal species and are active by daylight and rest during the night.
Preferred Habitability Conditions
The homeworlds of the three major races possess the following characteristics:
|Baseline humans prefer larger, terrestrial worlds with adequate land masses (habitable areas) at around 1.0 G.|
|Baseline humans prefer standard nitrogen-oxygen atmospheres, but can tolerate thin or dense atmospheres. Humans are particularly susceptible to atmospheric taints.|
|Baseline humans prefer environments with adequate water for food production and hygienic purposes. Humans find very high or low hydrographic worlds to be uncomfortable.|
|C: Climate||Temperate World||Tropical World||Temperate World||Temperate World||Baseline humans prefer a temperate environment.|
|O: Orbit||6.5||6.5||6.5||6.5||Baseline humans prefer the Habitable Zone.|
|G: Gravity||1.0 G||1.1 G||0.9 G||0.7 G||Baseline humans prefer around a one G environment and can tolerate slightly higher or lower gravities comfortably. Humans find gravity outside of the range 0.5G to 1.2G uncomfortable.|
|Pr: Pressure||1.0 atm||1.1 atm||0.6 atm||1.25 atm||Baseline humans prefer a one standard atmosphere (atm) rating which is equivalent to (760 Torr or 14.696 psi). Humans find atmospheric pressures lower than 0.5 atm or greater than 1.5 atm uncomfortable.|
Diet and trophics
- Apex predator
- Sometimes called a "hunter-gatherer" due to many human's penchant for pursuing animal sustenance.
- Known for advanced agriculture and livestock husbandry practices.
- Regarded as an apex predator, through the use of technology, on their homeworlds.
Life Cycle and reproduction
- Two sexes (male & female)
- Mild sexual dimorphism
- (sexual reproduction)
- Conjugal intercourse
- Varied mating systems (primarily serial monogamy) (1m:1f average)
- Viviparous birth
- (Iteroparous): Uses K-selection and have few offspring that require considerable amounts of time to raise to maturity.
The average human lifespan is now well over one hundred years in span and many live longer than that. In addition the technology of anagathics (life extension) is rapidly growing in usage although it is still prohibitively expensive to the masses. Humans are an iteroparous species and typically bear one child per pregnancy, which requires well over a decade to be educated and come to reproductive maturity. Larger litters of offspring are possible, but much less common.
Members of Humaniti use the following Imperial Interstellar Scout Service code:
- Social Standing
The Solomani are widely believed to be genetic baseline for the species.
The Vilani have an increased digestive fortitude, increased strength, radiation adaptation (darker complexions), shorter height and a much greater lifespan.
The Zhodani have a Psionic aptitude, a dental mutation (fewer teeth), greater height, and radiation adaptation (darker complexions).
Imperial Man (primarily political, not genetic term) is a blending of Solomani and Vilani human subspecies, with a mixture of other Minor Human Races. This gives an increased genetic variation.
Humans are a prolific species and have extensively colonized Charted Space. They are a sort of "jack of all trades" of species; many species have more capable physiological abilities (natural armor, weapons, etc.), but few have the breadth of flexibility that the human form has.
This species has had a long history and is widely known for its vast multicultural range and extensive colonization across Charted Space. One of most unusual aspects of Humaniti is the fact that humans are present on many different worlds and stand at various levels of development on those worlds. Many other sophont species have far more uniform cultures and share throughout their societies the achievements of the their science and technology. Humans, in contrast, often deny resources to other members of their species.
Humaniti: Three Major Human Races
The three most widespread human races are:
Other Human Races
Most of the other human races are members of one of one or more of the following groups:
The Solomani Hypothesis states that Humans evolved on Terra (Solomani Rim 1827) and were scattered to many different worlds by the Ancients for reasons currently unknown. The result is that many different, parallel human races exist, and coexist throughout Charted Space.
This species originated on Terra (Solomani Rim 1827) and developed intelligence in response to interspecies competition and climactic changes.
Humaniti is a very balkanized, disparate, and chimeric species, although not so much as the Vargr, and are greatly prone to quarreling and internal dissent, often until a moment of crisis arrives that may or may not unite them. Human psychology is incredibly chaotic and the fact that this one species has already branched into three Major Races and numerous Minor Races, and not re-united says a great deal about how humans think and comport themselves..
Due to their high tolerance of nonconformity and variance, humans have been known to form incredibly different cultures and societies from one another. About the only thing a sophont can count on, in encounters with humans, is that there will be very few commonalities between one human culture and the next.
Humans strongly lean towards tribalism, having no less than three major races, and come into dispute so often that a central, unifying sense of galacto-centrism or pan-sophontism is unlikely to develop in the specie's greater culture.
|Solomani||Homo sapiens sapiens||Terra||B (11)||E (15)||6||G (17)||Low uniformity|
|Vilani||Homo sapiens vlandensis||Vland||C (12)||D (13)||7||H (18)||Uniform culture|
|Zhodani||Homo sapiens zhdotlas||Zhdant||G (17)||B (11)||9||H (18)||Very uniform culture|
|Imperial Man||Homo sapiens imperialis||Capital||A (10)||E (15)||5||F (16)||Very low uniformity|
Belief system and philosophy
Humans are known to be an incredibly diverse species and are tolerant of a great deal of nonconformity and variance within their cultures, societies, and philosophies.
Humans embrace a vast variety of philosophies and theories of life. As a generality, humans are distrustful and wary of outsiders.They argue constantly and it takes great effort for them to come to consensus.
Humans have no one central belief system and embrace a great variety of cosmologies, religions, and sense of spirituality including:
- And just about everything else along a vast belief spectrum.
Morality and ethics
This species holds the following values regarding a sense of right and wrong, as an idealized generality:
- Murder is wrong. Life is sacred.
- Stealing is wrong. One should be fair in their actions.
- Truth telling is expected.
- Promises, contracts, and agreements should be kept.
- Most human languages reflect this with complex ideas of justice and well developed systems of law and legal code.
Humans have experimented with possibly every combination of social arrangement and organization known to sophont-kind. Humans have organized themselves in a vast variety of hierarchies including ones based upon the following characteristics:
- Dietary preferences
- Genders and/or sexuality
- Linguistic differences
- Lifestyle preferences
- Physiological differences (skin color, hair color, eye shape, etc.)
- Perceived power or wealth levels
- Places of origin
- Religious, spiritual, or philosophical beliefs
Some races are baffled by what seem to be very subjective and minor differences, but these same differences remain very important to many humans.
Some of the most common motivations for members of Humaniti include:
- Population pressure
- Reproductive continuity
- Social competition
- Happiness, accomplishment, and prosperity
Most humans seem to have strong expectations of an anthropocentric universe, with mainline human expectations of human cultural norms.
Humaniti. as a generality, shares few common traditions although they do exist:
- Shared meals, often with expectations of certain foods at certain times
Most humans have a reverence for nature and the appearance of healthy members of their species.Humans hold the human form, and by extension, the humanoid form to be very aesthetically pleasing. By corollary, many humans find non-humanoid sophonts to have displeasing forms.
Human architecture tends to be euclidian in nature with many distinct right angles. The fine arts are very disparate in nature and what one human finds pleasing may vary greatly when compared to the tastes of another.
This species uses the following types of language to communicate:
- Body language
- Exotic language: telepathy
- Spoken language
- Visual language (sign language)
- Written language
Humans speak an incredible variety of languages and have even learned how to communicate using non-verbal methods as well. Among the most common of human languages is Anglic. Anglic possesses a very large number of dialects, creoles, and other variations.
Due to the vast number of human languages and cultures, humans have created a large number of semi-standardized iconic symbol used by the Starport Authority and other common interstellar societal institutions.Some of these symbols include the stop sign, other traffic signals, bathroom iconography, restaurants (eating establishments), and many others.
Most humans organize by small reproductive kinship pairings called nuclear families. Many other variations are possible, but the nuclear family remains one of the most common. At a larger scale, humans organize in vast variety of other methods.
The civilization and society of this species is known as Humaniti. Three branches of this species are considered Major Races and each have their own culture, society, and supra-polity.
Government and politics
Humans have experimented with possibly every combination of governments and politics theoretically possible. Humans are known to be strong communicators and are apt to establish diplomatic relations with every other sophont group they encounter. Most Human governments are organized with the following three branches:
- Legislative: Determines legal codes.
- Judicial: Enforces legal codes.
- Executive: Enacts laws and other governmental decisions, primary decision-making ability.
In government, these three branches may be combined under one authority (a single person or collection of people), or split between multiple authorities.
Military and intelligence
One feature that almost every human society possesses is a propensity for violence. As such, human societies tend to be well-armed ones with well-established and organized militaries.
Business and trade
Humans are very capable and many elect to become merchants and scientists. Most humans base their calendars and timekeeping methods upon the solar cycles of their home worlds. The diverse nature of humans, added to by their gregarious and curious natures, makes them talented merchant-traders, apt to go exploring and experiment with trade diplomacy.
Research and technology
Humans have long been aided, in their pursuit of knowledge and technology, by their intense curiosity.
Humans can be found throughout most of Charted Space. The human penchant for curiosity often leads explorers to find human civilizations far beyond the borders of Charted Space.
They are especially found within the following Major Human Race polities:
The homeworld of this race is:
- Terra (Solomani Rim 1827)
World Listing: 1105
Significant communities of this race are known to dwell within the following systems and worlds:
|startbacknext(200 listed / 8528 left)|
- Native Intelligent Life
- Human Race
- Major Race
- Minor Race
- Non-human Race
- Variant Race
- Extinct Species
- Loren Wiseman. "Contact! Zhodani." Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society 09 (1981): 8-11.
- John Harshman, Marc Miller, Loren Wiseman. Library Data (A-M) (Game Designers Workshop, 1981), 36-39.
- J. Andrew Keith, Marc Miller, John Harshman. Zhodani (Game Designers Workshop, 1985), 3-14.
- John Harshman, Marc Miller. Solomani (Game Designers Workshop, 1986), 2-13.
- James Holden, Joe D. Fugate Sr., Terrance McInnes. Vilani & Vargr (Digest Group Publications, 1990), 2-39.
- Peter G. Celella, James Holden. Solomani & Aslan (Digest Group Publications, 1991), 2-27.
- Marc Miller. Marc Miller's Traveller (Imperium Games, 1996), 186.
- David L. Pulver. Alien Races 1 (Steve Jackson Games, 1998), 5-63.
- Jon F. Zeigler. Rim of Fire (Steve Jackson Games, 2000), 5-22.
- Loren Wiseman, Jon F. Zeigler. Humaniti (Steve Jackson Games, 2003), 5-19.
- Paul Drye, Loren Wiseman, Jon F. Zeigler. Interstellar Wars (Steve Jackson Games, 2006), 17-93.
- Martin Dougherty, Hunter Gordon. The Traveller's Handbook (QuikLink Interactive, 2002), 14-15.
- Marc Miller. T5 Core Rules (Far Future Enterprises, 2013), 24.
- Marc Miller, Robert Eaglestone, Don McKinney. Characters and Combat (Far Future Enterprises, 2019), 21.
- Christopher Griffen. The Third Imperium (Mongoose Publishing, 2021), 60.