Native Intelligent Life
- It is a descriptive term for a single world to indicate the native life forms have evolved to be sophonts.
- The term includes TL-0 Proto-Sophonts.
Library Data Referral Tree
- Human Race
- Major Race
- Minor Race
- Non-human Race
- Variant Race
This is a species of highly intelligent native life capable of sentient (feeling), sapient (wise cognizance), and technologically sophisticated behavior. In other words, NILs are at least as sophisticated as proto-sophonts and have begun using tools to construct other tools.
While the Imperial Interstellar Scout Service has standardized terminology within Imperial service, non-Imperials use a vast variety of terms for native intelligent species without an interstellar presence including the following:
- Traveller 5th Core Rules v5.09, (pages 407, 412, 544)
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science