ECM is an acronym standing for Electronic Countermeasure.
- It is a type of Ship Equipment.
An electronic countermeasure (ECM) is a device designed to trick, deceive or overwhelm a sensor system in order to deny information to an enemy. Electronic countermeasures are frequently coupled with stealth technology and other passive defensive systems.
- A variety of ECM devices, capable of countering a range of sensors and detectors and grouped together into a single unit, are referred to as an ECM package.
- ECM may itself be defeated, overwhelmed or overcome by electronic counter-countermeasures (ECCM).
ECM may be used in both a Passive and an Active role.
- Passive ECM can give false sensor readings or help to mask signatures.
- Active ECM often takes the form of "jamming", or overwhelming an enemies sensors with signals and noise.
History & Background (Dossier)
ECM is generally available from TL-6 onwards, becoming more powerful, more efficient and more compact as the technology improves.
References & Contributors (Sources)
- MegaTraveller, Referee's Manual (Game Designers Workshop 1987)
- Traveller The New Era, Fire, Fusion, & Steel (Game Designers Workshop 1994)
- T5 Core Rules, Far Future Enterprises 2013
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science