- This component is considered to be Ship Equipment.
- It is also often known as a Cargo Bay or Cargo Loading Area.
- Specialized cargo holds for mining ships are called Ore Bays and hold raw mineral resources, often from belters.
The cargo hold can usually be sealed. The hold is generally accessed by large doors or hatches. It may have a loading ramp or a cargo elevator.
- The interior surfaces of the cargo hold have multiple tethering and anchoring points.
- The hold generally has independent life support and environmental systems.
- Sections of larger holds may be isolated and can be provided with specialized environmental conditions, typically refrigeration or a different composition of atmospheric gases.
- The hold may utilize small vehicles, cranes and hoists, "walking floors", or gravitic devices to facilitate moving and handling cargo.
The cargo hold may be used to transport vehicles.
No image yet available.
Some cargo holds are specifically designed to be environmental tanks.
These commonly include:
- Fluid tanks
- Gas tanks
- Hydrocarbon tanks
- Pumping equipment