Ship Mission Code
- This code is a very generalized approximation of the primary mission of a vessel such as Free Trader.
- They generally consist of a word or phrase such as Corvette, Missile Cruiser, or Bulk Cargo Carrier.
- This hierarchical designation is also known as Ship Mission, Ship Mission Code, Mission, Ship Hull Designation, or Supraclass.
- 1 Library Data Referral Tree
- 2 Description (Specifications)
- 3 History & Background (Dossier)
- 4 References & Contributors (Sources)
Library Data Referral Tree
- Starship User Types
- Advanced Ship Classifications
- Basic Ship Classifications
- Ships by Function
- Speed of Travel
The List of Hull Designations comprises an alphabetical list of the starship and spacecraft hull classification types (Superclass letter designations) to identify the type of a ship. The base description for the hull designations comes from Ship Type Codes.
- The combination of a letter designation and hull number are used by the Third Imperium to identify Imperial vessels uniquely. A heavily modified or repurposed ship may receive a new designation, and either retain the hull number or receive a new one. Also, the system of letter designations has changed a number of times, so ships' alphanumerical designations sometimes change without anything being done to the physical ship. Some of the ship hull designations listed here may not be presently in use.
- The Imperial Quick Ship Profile (QSP) is an abbreviated form of this measure.
- Additionally, due to changes over the millennia, some ship hull designations may be duplicated with alternate meanings. In other words, some letter codes have multiple meanings.
Imperial Ship Classification Synopsis
The basic system of ship classification and organization for ships within Charted Space and particularly within Imperial Space works on a simple hierarchy of mission (generalized use), type (specific use), class (very specific use), model (technological level), and lot or bloc (production run):
|Imperial Ship Classification|
|1.||Ship Mission Codes||SUPRACLASS||MISSION||Free Trader AKA Merchant|
|2.||Ship Type Codes||SUPERCLASS||TYPE||Type A class Free Trader|
|3.||Ship Class Codes||CLASS||CLASS||Beowulf class Free Trader|
|4.||Ship Model Codes||MODEL||TL & Model||TL-14 Beowulf Build
|5.||Ship Bloc Codes||LOT or BLOC||Named Ship||“The Lonesome Wolf” of ‘Bloc 312-1115d’
Overview of Imperial Ship Classification
|Imperial Ship Classification|
|1.||Supraclass (Function)||Dreadnought||It’s the largest organizational grouping by a generalized function or mission. For instance, battleships and cruisers have different generalized missions although they can perform many of the same jobs.|
|2.||Type (Superclass)||Type BB class Battleship||It’s a larger type grouping by a specific function or mission. Different kinds of battleships or types may perform different yet broadly similar missions.|
|3.||Class (Ship)||Tigress class Dreadnought||The ship itself is synonymous with a class. The first produced version becomes the class namesake under most practices. It has an even more specific mission that the craft type code (type) or superclass.|
|4.||Model (Version)||TL-15 Tigress Model 1105-Q3-9PR||This classification may include incremental improvements often as a result of TL advances. Some classes of ships can be built at several different TL’s. For instance, the ubiquitous Beowulf Free Trader has builds from TL-10 to TL-15.|
|5.||Lot (Block)||Block 365-1105 Reg-A-4702-4826-9931||This classification is also known as a Production Bloc. Blocs may have differences from lot to lot. Sometimes aftermarket or post-production modification (customization) may yield very different ships from the originally manufactured ship class.|
If one thing can be said about Charted Space, it might be that non-conformity reigns supreme. Even within the runaway superpower of the Third Imperium, the prototypical Feudal Confederation, naval fleet organization has often been haphazard. At least three major naming and organizational schema have been used since the Holiday Year.
All major race navies use similar yet significantly different systems.
Master Imperial Type Codes
|Master Imperial Type Codes (circa 1105)|
|Ltr||Master Ship Mission Code||Remarks|
|A||A-class Merchant Vessels
(Tramps - Cargo & Low-volume Passengers)
|Military Auxiliaries now go to Q-class
|B||B-class Battleships||Monitors included
|C||C-class Cruisers||No need to change. Weight tonnage cruisers remain
|D||D-class Destroyers||Anything not a destroyer goes to E-class
|E||E-class Escorts||Includes all manner of tiny vessels that are not smallcraft
|F||F-class Fighters||Only fighters now
|G||G-class Industrial Vessels
|Frigates go to E-class
|H||H-class Security Vessels||Defenders (SDBs)
|I||I-class Combat Transports||Includes troop transports, assault landers, etc,|
|J||J-class Prospector Vessels||Prospectors and seekers remain
|K||K-class Expedition Ships||Colony Ships|
|L||L-class Science Vessels||Lab Ships|
|M||M-class Merchant Vessels
(Freighters - Bulk Freight)
|No changes although most named liners go to R-class|
|N||N-class Medical Ships||Ferries go to Q-class or U-class|
|O||O-class Ortillery Vessels||Bombardment Ship
|P||P-class Corsair Vessels||Fighters all go to F-class
|Q||Q-class Combat Support Ship
|R||R-class Merchant Vessels
(Liners - Medium Cargo & Medium-volume Passengers)
|R now a dedicated merchant code
|S||S-class Scout Vessels||NOTES:|
|T||T-class Tankers & Transports
(Bulk Trade Freight)
|T-class are now dedicated transports and tankers
|U||U-class Utility Vessels & Utility Craft||Packets ships go to X-class|
|V||V-class Subcraft Carriers||Carriers
|W||W-class Space Stations & Satellites & Barges
(System Craft - Non-Interstellar)
|Includes little to no drive and no mission beyond the star system
|X||X-class Communication Vessels|
|Y||Y-class Yachts (Private Craft)||All manner of privately owned craft
|Z||Z class Special Mission Ships||Unclassified Ships
Early Imperial Type Codes
|Ship Hull Designation Codes #1|
|Code||Primary||Secondary (M)||Secondary (C)||Remarks|
|P||Fighter||Pursuit Fighter||Law Enforcement Vessel||None|
|Q||Military Specialty Ship||Decoy||-||None|
|S||Military Smallcraft||Strike||Survey Vessel / Scout Vessel||None|
|V||Carrier||Replenishment Vessel||Agricultural Vessel||None|
Alternative Ship Type Encoding
There are a number alternative ship type encoding.
- Starship type codes are between one and four or more characters long. In order there is an optional race or empire qualifier, a required primary mission identifier, and an optional mission qualifier.
- MegaTraveller has a subtly different set of ship type codes available. Nothing taken away, but a few additions are made.
- See Military Starship Types and Civilian Starship Types for more information.
- The full list is under the MT Primary and MT Qualifier below.
Mid-Imperium Ship Type Codes
Late Imperial Type Codes
|Late Imperial Ship Classification|
5. Bloc (Lot)
|S||Courier Ship||Small Goods||Information||Non-combat||Paramilitary||None|
|S||Messenger Ship||Data Files||Information||Non-combat||Paramilitary||None|
|X||Express Ship||Goods & Files||Information||Non-combat||Paramilitary||None|
|S||Scout Ship||First Look||Exploration||Non-combat||Paramilitary||None|
|N||Medical Vessel / Hospital Ship||Medical Data||Exploration||Non-combat||Paramilitary||None|
|L||Lab Ship||Data Analysis||Exploration||Non-combat||Paramilitary||None|
|J||Seeker (Prospector)||Resource Search||Exploration||Non-combat||Paramilitary||None|