- It is a technological sophont-made orbital device made to support life and the expansion of orbital existence from the near atmosphere or orbital pathway of a planet.
- They are known by a wide variety of names and terms and come in as wide a set of shapes, forms, and technological formats.
- The Supraclass designation is also known as Ship Mission, Ship Mission Code, Mission, or Ship Hull Designation.
- It is a starship supraclass.
- 1 Library Data Referral Tree
- 2 Description (Specifications)
- 3 History & Background (Dossier)
- 4 References & Contributors (Sources)
Library Data Referral Tree
- Starship User Types
- Advanced Ship Classifications
- Basic Ship Classifications
- Ships by Function
- Speed of Travel
Orbital complexes range in size from single stations up to large, sprawling cities. Complexes can be joined in a daisy-chain arrangement, or simply a group of closely proximate individual complexes in the same orbit. Three general size categories exist: orbital stations, orbital settlements, and orbital cities.
Space stations go by an incredible variety of names and serve an equally diverse set of missions from highports to orbital factories to shipyards and more. When technology advances adequately, they can be a viable residential option especially around small worlds.
- An Anchorage class Orbital Station with a Wulf class Free Trader (silhouetted) alongside.
- A Gunsan class Orbital Dockyard with an Olympian class Cruise Liner (silhouetted) alongside.
- A Harbor class Orbital Station with an Olympian class Cruise Liner (silhouetted) alongside.
Strategy & Tactics (Doctrine)
Space Stations are an important part of TL:10-15 technological life, linking to beanstalks, decreasing mass fuel needs of system craft, allowing better mainworld access to FTL merchant vessels, and, in general, making intra-planetary and inter-stellar life possible.
- While space stations can be weaponized as battle stations, most are cost-efficient civilian structures and are vulnerable to raider vessels unless protected by COACC forces or other defensive craft.
System Craft typically serve the following roles:
- Artificial Satellite (WA) (Namesake)
- Automated Interdiction Satellite (WAI)
- Battle Satellite (WAD)
- Beacon (WAB)
- Defensive Satellite (WAD)
- Missile Platform (WAM)
- Sensor Buoy (WAS)
- Battle Station
- Bernal Sphere
- Far System Fuel Refinery
- Gas Giant Station
- Hospital Station
- Mining Platform
- Myriad Bola
- O'Neill Cylinder
- Orbital Boatyard
- Orbital City
- Orbital Complex
- Orbital Dockyard
- Orbital Installation
- Orbital Settlement
- Orbital Spaceyard
- Orbital Station
- Orbital Trade Center
- Orbital Trade Station
- Prison Hulk
- Residential Ship
- Space Station (WO) (Namesake)
- Stanford Torus
- Trade Station
- X-Boat Station
Supraclass Archetypal Roles
These vessels typically serve the following archetypal roles:
|W-class Space Station Supraclass Archetypes|
|Space Station||WO (Namesake)||Eshpadir class Orbital Installation||None
|Orbital City||WOC||TBD class Space Station||The largest of the orbital complexes, an Orbital City is a closed-cycle orbital station with a permanent population in the thousands. Possible at TL–9.
|Orbital Settlement||WOE||TBD class Space Station||An Orbital Settlement is an open-cycle orbital station with a permanent population in the hundreds. Possible at TL–8.
|Orbital Station||WOS||Eshpadir class Orbital Installation||An Orbital Station is a single large satellite used as an orbital installation, with a permanent population in the tens. Often built as a modular unit, able to be expanded upon as necessary. Some standard station types include refueling station, communications station, research station, fighter base, peace monitor, civilian transfer station (for personnel and/or cargo), or drydock control centre. Possible at TL–7.|
|NOTES: There is semantic overlap between many of the classes and codes. Some codes organize by mission or capability, others by size and tonnage, and yet others by other characteristics.
No information yet available.
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Type WO class Space Station
Ship Summary List
Some of the most commonly used vessels in this role or these roles include:
|6 Representative Space Station (WO) Classes|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|