- Yachts are the best known and most visible of these vessels.
- The Supraclass designation is also known as Ship Mission, Ship Mission Code, Mission, or Ship Hull Designation.
- It is a starship supraclass.
- 1 Library Data Referral Tree
- 2 Description (Specifications)
- 3 History & Background (Dossier)
- 4 References & Contributors (Sources)
Library Data Referral Tree
- Starship User Types
- Advanced Ship Classifications
- Basic Ship Classifications
- Ships by Function
- Speed of Travel
NAFAL system spaceships are horrendously expensive, many times the annual wages of the typical worker, even on a rich world. Starcraft with jump drives are even more expensive than that. Thus, citizens who can afford to buy a personal starship, even a small one are tremendously wealthy and why would the wealthy build anything less than a Y-class Yacht or Private Vessel? As such, Y-class ships tend to be luxurious, high performance, and extensively stocked with servants, bodyguards, cooks, and other service staff.
- A prototypical Type Y class Yacht.
- An exclusive and desirable Starblade class Executive Yacht.
- A side view of a Wanderer class Luxury Yacht.
Strategy & Tactics (Doctrine)
Most Private Vessels are minimally armed and/or armored, but there are plenty of exceptions. After all, they can afford it. Heck, they can afford to specialize a ship in any fashion they like... Most often, yachts and private vessels employ escorts for defense, and if alone, they simply run when facing a hostile threat. On other hand, Q-Ships that look like yachts are not an uncommon sight.
Private Vessels typically serve the following roles:
- Charter Yacht (YK)
- Expeditionary Yacht (YK)
- Executive Yacht (YL)
- Luxury Yacht (YL)
- Private Starship (Y)
- Private Vessel (Y) (Namesake)
- Racing Yacht (YR)
- Regatta Yacht (YR)
- Yacht Courier (YR)
Civilian Craft - Private Smallcraft (Non-luxury):
- Luxury Shuttle (UYL)
- Luxury Smallcraft (UYL)
- Playboy's Launch (UYL)
- Private Smallcraft (UY)
- Star Limousine (UYL)
Size-Class Roles for Private Vessels
- Luxury Smallcraft (UY) (1 to 99 tons)
- Very Light Private Ship (YVL) (100 to 2,499 tons)
- Light Private Ship (YI) (2,500 to 99,999 tons)
- Medium Private Ship (YM) (100,000 to 249,999 tons)
- Heavy Private Ship (YH) (250,000 to 499,999 tons)
- Superheavy Private Ship (YS) (500,000 to 999,999 tons)
- Ultraheavy Private Ship (YU) (1,000,000 or more tons)
Supraclass Archetypal Roles
These vessels typically serve the following archetypal roles:
|Y-class Private Vessel Supraclass Archetypes|
|Private Vessel||Y||Lady of Shalott class Yacht|| None
|Expeditionary Yacht||YK||Prancing Poni class Charter Yacht|| None
|Luxury Yacht||YL||Starblade class Executive Yacht|| None
|Racing Yacht||YR||Condor class Racing Yacht|| None
|Private Smallcraft||UY||TBD class TBD|| None
|NOTES: There is semantic overlap between many of the classes and codes. Some codes organize by mission or capability, others by size and tonnage, and yet others by other characteristics.|
No information yet available.
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Type Y class Yacht
- Type YL class Luxury Yacht
- Type YK class Expeditionary Yacht
Ship Summary List
Some of the most commonly used vessels in this role include:
|22 Representative Private Vessel (Y) Classes|
|5 Representative Expeditionary Yacht (YK) Classes|
|6 Representative Luxury Yacht (YL) Classes|
|1 Representative Racing Yacht (YR) Classes|
|0 Representative Luxury Smallcraft (UY) Classes|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- This article is an amalgamation of many different materials published since 1977.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science