- While most bigcraft are considered to be NAFAL boats, most largecraft are considered FTL craft with jump drives.
- The two definitions possess some semantic overlap.
- Largecraft are the vast majority of star wandering vessels that are not smallcraft nor bigcraft.
- Some very early technology vessels were intended for interstellar voyages despite having only NAFAL engines and these antiquated vessels are considered bigcraft. They include sleeper ships and generation ships.
Library Data Referral Tree
- Advanced Ship Classifications
- Basic Ship Classifications
Largecraft is the general catchall category for significant, star faring FTL vessels. The category excludes smallcraft and bigcraft… and little else. Almost any large starcraft is a largecraft. The term is so ubiquitous that few feel a need to mention it.
These vary in tonnage and in their intended function or role.
|Ship Classification by Size in TL:13-15 |
|1.||Smallcraft (Subcraft)||0 to 99 tons||Vehicle||Ubiquitous||Smallcraft are NAFAL or STL.|
|2.||Bigcraft (Subcraft)||100 tons or larger||Vehicle or Ship||Uncommon||Bigcraft are designed for NAFAL capabilities, but some mistakenly call them FTL.|
|3.||Largecraft (Non-subcraft)||100 tons or larger||Vehicle or Ship||Uncommon||Largecraft are designed FTL.|
|4.||Adventure Class Ships (ACS)||100 to 2,499 tons||Ship or Vessel||Common||Adventure Class ships may be FTL or NAFAL.|
|5.||Battle Class Ships (BCS)||2,500 to 249,999 tons||Ship or Vessel||Uncommon||Battle Class ships may be FTL or NAFAL.|
|6.||Fleet Class Ships (FCS)||250,000 to 999,999 tons||Ship or Vessel||Rare||Fleet Class ships may be FTL or NAFAL.|
|7.||World Class Ships (WCS)||1,000,000 tons or larger||Ship or Vessel||Ultra-rare||World Class ships may be FTL or NAFAL.|
The rise of size-based ship terminology came from the unique properties of the conventional jump drive in Charted Space. Jump Drives from TL-10 to TL-15 require a minimum mass of 100.0 tons or larger. Proper jump bubbles and fields cannot be created with less mass displacement. Some day, someone will miniaturize the technology and be able to create a jump transition bubble at any mass displacement, but the peculiarities of the contemporary technology preclude smaller craft. This greatly affects naval architecture.
Bigcraft vs. Largecraft
- Bigcraft are NAFAL boats over a 100 tons without a jump drive.
- Largecraft are FTL vessels over a 100 tons with a jump drive.