Express Boat (a.k.a. X-boat) are rapid communication ships which are designed to make optimum use of jump technology in communicating information within the Imperium. Because the Imperium is so large, ordinary communication must depend on ships traveling along established Trade Routes, making Regina (Spinward Marches 1710) nearly four years out from the Imperial Core.
- X-boats transport X-mail. Many ships are equipped with a Mail Vault for this purpose.
- Other kinds of Communication Vessels and can be found at the article of the same name.
- The main difference between an Express Boat and a Courier Vessel is that express boats either can not, or are not usually intended to, approach a planet or highport but instead waits at the 100 diameter line for a tender to deliver fuel and transfer physical cargo, while couriers either dock at highports or land on planets like most ships.
- The Supraclass designation is also known as Ship Mission, Ship Mission Code, Mission, or Ship Hull Designation.
- It is a starship supraclass.
Library Data Referral Tree
- Starship User Types
- Advanced Ship Classifications
- Basic Ship Classifications
- Ships by Function
- Speed of Travel
As an X-boat arrives in a system, it beams its recorded data to the express station, which then retransmits it to an X-boat standing by for a jump outsystem.
- Time between jumps is almost always less than four hours and has been recorded at under seven minutes, making the speed of communication nearly the speed of jump (...since X-boats carry Jump-4 drives, speeds near four parsecs per week).
- In practice, this speed is somewhat reduced by the fact that trade routes do not follow straight lines and that not all jumps are made at Jump-4. Nonetheless, the system achieves approximately Jump-2.6 per week.
- A typical Type XT class Express Boat Tender as represented through a crew sketch.
- An image of a Xavier class Express Boat.
Strategy & Tactics (Doctrine)
Xboats are Jump-4 ships with no maneuver drive, crewed by single pilots. As an xboat arrives in a new system, it beams its recorded data to the express boat station, which then re-transmits it to an xboat standing by to jump outsystem. The first ship is then refuelled, possibly the pilot is replaced, and it awaits the arrival of the next incoming boat.
Time between jumps is almost always under 4 hours, and the record is under 7 minutes, making the speed of the communication nearly the speed of jump; 4 parsecs per week. In practice, this speed is somewhat reduced because xboat routes do not follow straight lines, and that not all jumps are made at Jump-4. Nonetheless, the system achieves approximately Jump-2.6 per week.
Express Boats typically serve the following roles:
- Communication Vessel
- Express Boat
- Express Solar Sailor
- Interplanetary Express Boat
- VIP Transport
|X-class Supraclass Archtypes|
|Archtype||Type Code||TL Range||Remarks|
|Express Boat Tender||XT||TL:10-15||None|
The sheer size of the Imperium means that ordinary communications must depend on ships travelling along the main trade routes, making Regina (Regina / Spinward Marches 1910) nearly four years out from the Imperial Core Sector.
The express boat (abbreviated X-boat) system, established originally in 624 and expanded to cover the entire Imperium by 718, cuts this communication time by nearly 75 percent. Selected locations along major trade routes are established as sites for express stations, which are orbital facilities which service and refuel the X-boats on their communications runs. Often an express boat tender serves as the station.
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Type X class Express Boat
- Type XT class Express Boat Tender
Ship Summary List
Some of the most commonly used vessels in this role or these roles include:
|64 Representative Communications Vessel (X) Classes|
|5 Representative X-boat (XB) Classes|
|3 Representative X-boat Tender (XT) Classes|
|25 Representative Packet Boat (XU) Classes|
|This article has a secret.|