Berka class Heavy Fleet Corvette
|Berka class Heavy Fleet Corvette|
|Type: EG Corvette|
|Hull Configuration||Cone Hull|
|Fuel tank||0 Tons|
|End of Service||Still in active service.|
|Cost||MCr576.54 (Imperial eqv)|
|Architect fee||Bleddyn Wilson (Meteoric Assault)|
|Quick Ship Profile||EG-8S43|
|Also see||Escort - Corvette|
|Canon||Published, fan design|
|Reference||Fan: Bleddyn Wilson|
|Starships are designed with the Classic Traveller format, using High Guard.|
The Corvette-Fleet Berka is the first unit in its class ( est 486 actually built). It is an 800-ton military design with a construction tech level of 14 and a cost of MCr576.54, including design fees. Construction time is 112 weeks. Subsequent ships of the class will cost MCr456.66 and take 90 weeks to complete.
- The 800-ton hull is of the Cone configuration; it is streamlined and capable of atmospheric work (hull cost, including 10% surcharge for Cone configuration: MCr88.0). The ship carries Armor factor-1. Fuel scoops are present (MCr).
- A bridge (20.0 tons; MCr4.0) and a computer Model/4 (4.0 tons; MCr30.0; 20 energy points).
- The ship is Jump-4 (85 tons; MCr160), Maneuver-4 (31 tons; MCr64), and power plant-6 (67 tons; MCr176). The power plant provides 48 energy points. Fuel tankage provides 380 tons of fuel. 320 tons enables a 4-parsec jump! range and a further 60 tons giving endurance 4 weeks (24 weeks powered down). There is a fuel purification plant (4.0 tons; MCr0.03).
- The ship is armed with one particle accelerator barbette, 3 triple beam laser turrets, three triple missile turrets, and a bridge controlled fixed sand caster countermeasures (eqv triple sand caster turret) The crew numbers 33(Command: 2+1, Engineers: 1+5, Gunners:1+7, Marines: 0+10, Specialists: 3+4, Medic: 0+1) including 10 marines. No passengers. All sophonts are accomodated in 6 staterooms and 28 halfstaterooms! (cabins).
- Payloads carried includes; one Engineering Workshop, one G-carrier, berth, two Cargos, one Medbay. The cargo hold of 20.0 tons is provided.
- Ship's vehicles include; A 30-ton Ships Boat, Two 10 ton Light Fighters, occupying 50-ton hangers.
- The ship has an agility of 4 and emergency agility of 4.
General Description & Deck Plans
USP: LF-00229 Berka LF-8144642-240000-40103-1 MCr 570.83 800.00 tons Crew=23 TL=14 Passengers=0 Low=0 Cargo=20.0 Fuel=380.0 EP=48.0 Agility=4 Security=0 Marines=10 Emergency_agility=4 Def_mod=5 Architects_fees=MCr5.71 Discounted_cost=MCr456.66 Small Craft: 1x30dt Ship’s Boat; 2x10dt Chanjitl Light Fighters; 1 8dt G-Carrier
Basic Ship Characteristics
Following the Imperial Navy and IISS Universal Ship Profile and data, additional information is presented in the format shown here. The small craft factor indicates the number of squadrons (...of ten subcraft) carried on the ship. Tonnage on the universal ship profile is shown in kilotons (...thousands of tons) where necessary. 
|Basic Ship Characteristics |
|1.||Tonnage / Hull||800 tons.|
|2.||Crew||33 crew x 6 officers. x 17 ratings. x 10 SNLFs.|
|6.||Armament||The normal weapons fit-out for it is:|
|7.||Defenses||No information yet available.|
|8.||Craft||x1 30dton Ship's boat
|9.||Fuel Treatment||x1 On-board fuel scoops and 4 dton fuel purification plant|
|10.||Cost||MCr570.83 or in quanity MCr456.66|
|11.||Construction Time||112 weekss to build, 90 weeks in quantity .|
Command Section- The command section consists of a Ship’s Captain (Lieutenant Commander), an Executive Officer (Lieutenant), and a Communications/Electronic Warfare Officer (Lieutenant Junior Grade).
- Engineering Division-The engineering division is lead by a Chief Engineer (Lieutenant) and his is assisted by the MPA (Warrant Officer) onboard there are four Engineering Petty officers that perform maintenance and repairs for the ship's drives and assist with damage control efforts. The Section is supplemented by 4 Engineering droids that assist by performing the PMS tasks and EVA’s for repairs.
- Gunnery Division-The gunnery division is lead by a Master Gunner (Warrant Officer)and he has six very well trained Gunnery petty officers at his command that man the weaponry of the ship.
- Flight Section- Consists of two officers and two Flight Petty Officers
- Special Naval Landing Force Section- Three NCOs and seven troopers with two warbots provide onboard security, shore parties, and boarding parties.
- Medical Department- An Independent Duty Corpsman is the attending medical specialist for the corvette. He is assisted by a medical droid.
- Services Department- The Services Department is headed by a senior petty officer who acts as stores keeper, mess specialist and also acts as the ship’s clerk. The Service Specialist is assisted by a mess droid and an administrative droid.
- Fighters- The Fighter Section consists of a flight of two 10 –ton Chanjitl class Light Fighters. They are stored in the underbelly of the ship consistent with present Zhodani naval design theory
- Ships Boat - The Ships Boat is a 30dt boat that handles many of the re-supply, usually crewed by members of the flight section.
- Grav AFV - a TL 14 light grav gunship that is capable of low orbital egress and provides the SNLF with mobility and additional firepower with VRF Gauss gun and tac-missiles.
The Berka Class is rapidly becoming one of the most frequently encountered small vessels in or near Zhodani controlled space. With the Naval Review that began in 1112 following the Fifth Frontier War, a re-evaluation of doctrine and construction of the small ships. It was a watershed event in Zhodani Naval Architecture and resulted with the introduction of the next generation of blieldliefr (Little ships) that have since been constructed. The Berka-class Fleet Frigate is one of the new generations of little ships to be seen on the frontiers of Zhodani Space. The heavy fleet corvette designation is a reflection of the particle accelerator barbette weapon system on board. In turn, this classification changes the dynamic of the doctrine employment of the Berka-class into a very aggressive role. They are nicknamed the SDB killer. Imperial Intelligence code word for them is the ‘Orca’ class frigate. These small taunt ships are tasked with fleet/squadron escort, commerce protection, and patrol duties. The myriad of missions they perform is almost limitless. The crews are well trained and are noted for an esprit de corps that is called blieldliefr ibl, “little ship fever”, that is cultivated by the ship captains. Over 486 Berka class fleet corvettes are in commission presently with more being constructed on a yearly basis. In the Idar Nobsl Province provides the main shipyard construction centers for the little ships are.
Standard Zhodani Corvette Flotillas are composed of 2-4 Berka Corvettes, 2-4 Banya Corvettes; and 2-4 Bra’la Corvette Transports. The Flotilla Commodore also has an organic Fleet Corvette Tender that allows the flotilla conduct repairs and replenishment operations in forward areas and project soft power when capital ships would illicit both political and military heightened tensions bordering interstellar powers.
It is not uncommon to encounter task squadrons of two to three Corvettes working in tandem the configuration is determined by mission profile. Aggressive anti-piracy for instance would usually be two Berkas and a Banya providing forward screening with its fighters. Another example is a terrestrial showing of the flag or escort missions would be a combination of a two Banyas and Bra’la Corvette which would allow a platoon of ZNSLF and a flight of eight fighters for a soft show of force or soft intervention on frontier worlds.
Class Naming Practice/s & Peculiarities
No information yet available.
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Type EG class Military Corvette
- Antarian class Corvette
- Banya class Light Fleet Corvette
- Berka class Heavy Fleet Corvette
- Fiery class Gunned Escort
- Flare class Gunboat
- Foxtrot class Corvette
- Gunbuster class Corvette
- Kalaron class Corvette
- KE7 Virulent class Corvette
- Kodan class Corvette
- Lakr class Corvette
- Lawful Means class Corvette
- Menace class Corvette
- Ming class Corvette
- Oegveng class Gunned Corvette
- Polaris class Corvette
- Rule of Man class Gunboat
- TC8 Nedric class Corvette
- Type RG class Assault Gunship
- Ueghzgi class Corvette
|This article has metadata.|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|