Solomani Rim War
- War between the Third Imperium and the Solomani Confederation during which a large portion of the Solomani Rim Sector was returned to Imperial control.
Hoping to profit from Imperial preoccupation with the Third Frontier War and the disorganization which followed upon the abdication of Styryx in 989, the Solomani reasserted their control over the complete Solomani Sphere, including those portions reabsorbed into the Imperium (see Solomani Autonomous Region).
Rim War Locations
The Rim War primarily affected the following sectors:
- Aldebaran Sector
- Alpha Crucis Sector
- Canopus Sector
- Daibei Sector
- Dark Nebula Sector
- Daibei Sector
- Diaspora Sector
- Langere Sector
- Magyar Sector
- Neworld Sector
- Old Expanses Sector
- Reaver's Deep Sector
- Solomani Rim Sector
- Spica Sector
- Ustral Quadrant Sector
Early Solomani Gains
The initial phase of the war went very well for the Solomani.
- Although the Imperium maintained sizable fleets along the border, they were inferior in strength to the massed naval elements of the Solomani Confederation. In most areas, the Solomani regained the border worlds lost to the Imperium in the last half century and even occupied a number of worlds that had never been part of the Solomani Sphere.
- However, Solomani fortunes were checked in 993 when a large invasion force attempted to regain the worlds in the Old Expanses Sector; it encountered near-fanatical resistance and was repulsed with heavy losses.
Rim War Stalemate
The period from 993 to 998 was one of stalemate. The Solomani abandoned their plans of further expansion in order to rebuild their forces. However, their policy of inflexibly defending every border world was a constant drain on their resources, and the Solomani were not able to regain the initiative.
- By 998, the Imperial Navy had achieved strategic dominance, as the greater industrial base of the Imperium made its power felt.
Rim War End Phase
- The basic Imperial strategy was to attack along two parallel axes of advance, with lesser task forces spreading out to create a huge pocket of Solomani Territory. Although the Solomani occasionally achieved a tactical success against a task force (such as the Battle of Kagukhasaggan in early 1002), they were unable to halt the main advances. With the liberation of the Vegan district in 1001, the Imperium gained the secure base envisioned in the reign of Styryx.
- The loss of the Vegan district prompted the Solomani to embark on a desperate gamble. Recalling the time when the outnumbered Terran Confederation was able to defeat the Vilani Imperium, the Solomani consolidated their remaining naval forces into a single fleet and struck at the Imperial fleet advancing out of the Vegan district.
- At the Battle of Dingir, in early 1002, the Solomani Grand Fleet was scattered and substantially destroyed. The remnants of the Solomani fleet fell back deeper into the Sphere, with the Imperial forces firmly establishing themselves in Terra's own subsector.
The Imperial high command decided that Terra would have to be invaded, in order to end forever all claims of Solomani superiority and thus the use of Terra as a rallying standard elsewhere in the Sphere.
- In order to invade Terra, a sizable fraction of the Imperial forces in the Solomani Sphere were assembled into an assault force, effectively ending the pursuit of the defeated Solomani fleet. The invasion began in the second quarter of 1002, and the hard fought campaign lasted until nearly the end of the year.
- In the end, the Imperium conquered the planet.
- However, the battle for Terra had consumed so much of the Imperial military's resources that the Imperial high command felt they lacked sufficient strength to resume their advance into the rest of the Solomani Sphere. Accordingly, they negotiated a temporary armistice with the Solomani military commanders, who were glad to gain a respite to regroup their remaining forces.
- The war ended on this basis as both the Imperial and Solomani civilian governments, concerned with the strain placed on their economies by the protracted war, informally agreed to extend the armistice indefinitely.
Although scholars continue to debate the wisdom of invading Terra, some claiming that the battle was a marginal if not pyrrhic victory for the Imperium, the general consensus is that the war as a whole was a major victory for the Imperium.
- A substantial amount of the Solomani Sphere was reabsorbed by the Imperium, and a vigorous Vegan Autonomous District was set up to oversee Imperial interests along the new border. While the Solomani Confederation continues to exist, the central tenet of the Solomani Movement is largely discredited. In fact, with the strong Imperial presence along the border, the Solomani Confederation seems to have abandoned any plans to resume the conflict in the near future, concentrating instead on reviving its claims to certain worlds in the more loosely-organized Aslan Hierate.
This is some of the more important history associated with this event:
- (990-1002): Solomani Rim War
- (990 to 992): Solomani Grand Fleet experiences many victories and advances into Imperial space.
- (993): Solomani Grand Fleet suffers heavy losses and defeat at Old Expanses Sector.
- (993 to 998): Rim War stalemate.
- (998): War turns in favor of the Imperial Navy.
- (998 to 1002): Imperial Navy experiences many victories and advances into Solomani space.
- (1002): Siege of Terra
- (1003): Vegan Autonomous District established.
- (1003): With the fall of Terra the Solomani moved their center of Government to Home (Aldebaran 1009), about 30 parsecs rimward.
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Classic Traveller Supplement 11 Library Data (N-Z)
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science