I-class Combat Transports are a supraclass of ships all with a similar assault mission to brave enemy fire and bring troops to the battlefield, provide suppressive fire, and transport combat materials planetside.
- Sometimes civilian hulls are up armored and hardened for dedicated military service under fire and are thus redesignated as I-class combat haulers. These are militarized civilian hulls, generally inferior to a dedicated military hull.
- Barges are often used in similar roles.
- The Supraclass designation is also known as Ship Mission, Ship Mission Code, Mission, or Ship Hull Designation.
- It is a starship supraclass.
Library Data Referral Tree
- Advanced Ship Classifications
- Basic Ship Classifications
The main reason to procure combat transports is to have a dedicated logistics capability that can move fighting sophonts, spare parts, supplies, and other materials to war zone locations where they are needed. 
- A Hoeywea class Troop Carrier in landed position prepared to recover Aslan warriors.
- An Iylvir class Light Assault Troop Carrier cruising through system space preparing for planetfall.
- A side view of a Caine class Troop Transport, a military combat transport used by the Bright Conclave.
- A deployed Venters class Assault Ship orbiting a gas giant on a system defense mission.
- A side view of a Fearless class Assault Transport.
- A side view of a Miranda class Military Transport.
- A Coeus class Assault Pinnace approaching a Tethys class Mercenary Transport and preparing to dock.
- A side view of a Gallant class Assault Shuttle smallcraft.
- Two Paulos class Troop Transports streaking to targets, one engaging its non-standard stealth device.
- A schematic side view of a M-1070 Lamprey class Orbital Assault Craft with a normative human for size comparison.
Strategy & Tactics (Doctrine)
Combat Transports are meant to assault enemy planets, moons, and other installations... and often under enemy fire. While purpose built combat transports exist, many such craft are converted from civilian ships. If formally procured, such ships are often armed, uparmored, and otherwise militarized. In some cases, civilian vessels are simply pressed into service. Such pressed ships don't tend to last long in the face of hostility.  Combat Transports are most often sent in after an extended planetary bombardment is conducted.
Combat Transports typically serve the following roles:
|I-class Combat Transport Supraclass Archetypes|
|Assault Troop Carrier||(IA)|
|Asteroid Assault Ship||(IAP)|
|Cavalry Regimental Transport||(IA)|
|Combat Transport||(I) (Namesake)|
|Combat Vehicle Transport||(IV)|
|Commando Assault Ship||(IA)|
|Light Assault Transport||(IA)|
|Light Assault Troop Carrier||(IA)|
|Military Landing Ship Infantry||(IT)|
|Multipurpose Combat Transport||(II)|
|Regimental Assault Cruiser||(IA)|
|UI-class Combat Transport Smallcraft Supraclass Archetypes|
|Combat Transport Smallcraft||(UI) (Namesake)|
|Orbital Assault Craft||(UIB)|
Size-Class Roles for Combat Support Ship Vessels
- Combat Lander (UI) (1 to 99 tons)
- Combat Cargo Carrier (IC) (100 to 2,499 tons) (Escort or Very Light Vessel)
- Light Combat Transport (IL) (2,500 to 99,999 tons)
- Medium Combat Transport (IM) (100,000 to 249,999 tons)
- Heavy Combat Transport (IH) (250,000 to 499,999 tons)
- Superheavy Combat Transport (IS) (500,000 to 999,999 tons)
- Ultraheavy Combat Transport (IU) (1,000,000 or more tons)
- Boarding Smallcraft (UIB)
- Battle Rider (BR)
- Combat Barge (WBG)
- Combat Transport Smallcraft (UI)
- Fighters (F)
- Militarized Utility Craft (UQ)
Supraclass Archetypal Roles
These vessels typically serve the following archetypal roles:
|I-class Combat Transport Supraclass Archetypes|
|Combat Transport||I (Namesake)||Iylvir class Light Assault Troop Carrier||The Namesake category of military transports includes the smallest smallcraft troop landers to the largest army transports, typically armored to resist enemy fire and armed to provide some measure of suppressive fire of their own.
|Assault Transport||IA||Tleiatre class Intruder Transport||These vessels specialize in supporting ground operations, and usually are associated with the delivery of troops in combat zones. They also serve in other combat support roles including combat resupply, medevac, communications, and direct/indirect fire support.|
|Multipurpose Combat Transport||II||Provider class Military Transport||Multipurpose Combat Transport often serve several roles and are an all around multipurpose logistic vehicle with the ability to serve as a combat transport as well.
|Troop Transport||IT||Ihatei class Transport||Troop transports move the most common surface combat asset planetside: Infantry. And infantry of all types from the most archaic mounted cavalry to the most high tech battledress or battlle pods.
|Combat Vehicle Transport||IV||McCrawley class Attack Transport||Vehicle transprts move fighting and utility vehicles to the surface from the smallest of utility jeeps to the largest armored tanks. They often require more sophisticated and demanding engineering than simpler troop transports.|
|Combat Transport Smallcraft / Combat Lander||UI||Sturmge class Assault Shuttle||Combat transport smallcraft or combat landers are smallcraft tasked to bring fighting men, soldiers, mercenaries, marines, etc. to the surface combat environment under fire. Many also carry combat equipment, AFVs, supplies, and/or carry weapons to suppress defenders.
|Boarding Smallcraft||UIB||Barrister's Gavel class Boarding Gig||Boarding smallcraft are combat transport smallcraft focused on boarding actions in space, rather than on delivery to planetside. They will typically not carry vehicles larger than an individual soldier, since they would not fit in a typical target's corridors. Likewise, any mounted weapons are typically to secure the docking, and are not able to fire into the target's corridors to support the boarding.
|NOTES: There is semantic overlap between many of the classes and codes. Some codes organize by mission or capability, others by size and tonnage, and yet others by other characteristics.|
No matter how complex or technological advanced combat gets, the basic proviso that infantry take and hold ground has never changed. Getting sophonts with smallarms to the combat zone after the fleets have cleared the way has changed little from the earliest days of sophontic societies. Combat transports perform this role, often under fire.
Aslan Clan Transports & Ihatei
Aslan society blends the three role users of human assumptions meaning that the ideas of civilian, paramilitary, and military are far more fluid and mixed than in human societies. One of the overwhelming drives of Aslan society is the compulsion for Aslan males to expand and seek more land as Ihatei. As such, Aslan vessels of all types tend to be quickly and fluidly re-purposed as needs arise. An Aslan merchant vessel may peacefully trade one day and be an impromptu mercenary transport the next.
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Type IA class Assault Transport
- Biskra class Regimental Assault Cruiser
- Cobra class Combat Lander
- Eiaikeiar class Intruder Transport
- Hoeywea class Troop Carrier
- Infinite Stratos class Assault Transport
- Iylvir class Light Assault Troop Carrier
- Lias class Fleet Transport
- Liberty III class Independent Merchant
- Lombardo class Assault Transport
- LSM 12 class Assault Transport
- Maxwell class Troop Transport
- Nest class Troop Transport
- Razruzhenye class Assault Carrier
- Rude Surprise class Commando Assault Ship
- Siderion class Asteroid Assault Ship
- Smopi class Transport
- TC16 Jyhala class Assault Cruiser
- Torment class Assault Cruiser
- Type 071 Yuzhao class Assault Cruiser
- Type RA class Assault Ship
- Unwelcome Guest class Commando Assault Ship
- Type IC class Combat Cargo Carrier
- Type IH class Heavy Combat Transport
- Type IL class Light Combat Transport
- Type IS class Superheavy Combat Transport
- No exemplar yet available.
- Type IT class Troop Transport
- Caine class Troop Transport
- Dominion class Troop Transport
- Garrison class Troop Transport
- Gram class Troop Transport
- Heward class Troop Transport
- Ihatei class Transport
- Khas'ahi class Troop Transport
- Kitzukhan class Troop Transport
- Notorious class Troop Transport
- Ronkli class Combat Transport
- Sanlunche class Troop Transport
- Type MLSI class Military Landing Ship Infantry
- Un Vaeg class Troop Transport
- Vey class Troop Transport
- Yawl class Troop Carrier
- Type IV class Combat Vehicle Transport
- Type UI class Combat Transport Smallcraft
- Aekguthand class Assault Cutter
- Assault Lander class Marine Gig
- Coeus class Assault Pinnace
- Gallant class Assault Shuttle
- Great Eastern class Troop Transport
- K'Bam class Assault Lander
- Kihrvak Platoon Drop Ship class Marine Cutter
- K'Slice class Attacker Tender
- Lowalaa class Assault Cutter
- Mal'Gnar class Assault Skiff
- Nirvana class Modular Dropship
- Paulos class Troop Transport
- Raptor class Combat Lander
- Slicer class Assault Shuttle
- Steffern class Assault Lander
- Sturmge class Assault Shuttle
- TC02 Grave Endeavor class Dropship
- TC04 Valkyrie class Dropship
- Type-1112 class Landing Boat
- Ziigusna class Military Pinnace
- Type UIB class Boarding Smallcraft
Ship Summary List
Some of the most commonly used vessels in this role or these roles include:
|1 Representative Combat Transport (I) Classes|
|1 Representative Assault Transport (IA) Classes|
|0 Representative Combat Cargo Carrier (IC) Classes|
|0 Representative Heavy Combat Transport (IH) Classes|
|0 Representative Multipurpose Combat Transport (II) Classes|
|0 Representative Light Combat Transport (IL) Classes|
|0 Representative Medium Combat Transport (IM) Classes|
|0 Representative Superheavy Combat Transport (IS) Classes|
|0 Representative Troop Transport (IT) Classes|
|0 Representative Vehicle Transport (IV) Classes|
|0 Representative Combat Transport Smallcraft (UI) Classes|
|0 Representative Boarding Craft (UIB) Classes|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|