Coeus class Assault Pinnace
|Coeus class Assault Pinnace|
A Coeus class Assault Pinnace under spaceflight.
|Type: UIP Assault Pinnace|
|Also see||Combat Transport / Utility Craft|
|Canon||Yes. Published, canon smallcraft design.|
|EOS||Still in active service.|
|Passengers||0 High/Med 0 Low|
|Reference||I.S.P.M.V Tethys 1-8.|
|Starships are designed with the Classic Traveller format, using High Guard.|
The Coeus class Assault Pinnace is a combatant smallcraft.
- It carries very light armament and a military defensive suite.
- It ordinarily carries no subcraft, no ship's vehicles, and drones only when needed.
- It has a 2 sophont crew and 8 marines.
- A Coeus class Assault Pinnace approaching a Tethys class Mercenary Transport and preparing to dock.
General Description & Deck Plans
- A schematic view of a Coeus class Assault Pinnace.
- A top view schematic of a Tethys class Mercenary Transport including its six Coeus class Assault Pinnaces.
Basic Ship Characteristics
Following the Imperial Navy and IISS Universal Ship Profile and data, additional information is presented in the format shown here. The small craft factor indicates the number of squadrons (of ten craft) carried on the ship. Tonnage on the universal ship profile is shown in kilotons (thousands of tons) when necessary. 
|Basic Ship Characteristics |
|1.||Tonnage / Hull||40 tons. Streamlined Wedge Hull.|
|3.||Performance / Engineering||Propulsion:|
|4.||Electronics||Model/1 Flt ship computer.|
|6.||Armament / Weaponry||The normal weapons fit-out for it is:|
|8.||Craft / Drones||None|
|9.||Fuel Treatment||Fueling Equipment:|
|11.||Construction Time||11 months to build, 10 months in quantity.|
This a venerable design originally developed by a Sylean Federation Navy design from the earliest days of the Third Imperium. The early Imperium struggled to build warships adequate to its needs and by the end of the Pacification Campaigns, found it necessary to hire increasing numbers of mercenaries and the Tethys class Mercenary Transport design made extensive use of this assault craft. The vessel has been designed and redesigned from TL-9 to now, TL-14 versions. The TL-12 models were the most highly produced and many of the models have undergone numerous upgrades. 
Class Naming Practice/s & Peculiarities
Vessel Peculiarities: The Coeus class Assault Pinnace is known for its very hardy and reliable targeting computer, its well designed layered armor, and its terrible airlocks, which frequently have been upgraded or replaced. The originals experienced so many seal failures ant the design was expanded with multiple, intermediate lock mechanisms to reduce the failure rate. Many crew members and even marine passengers wear their vacc suits, unsealed, in the suits under almost all conditions. 
Class Naming Practice/s: The Coeus is named after an ancient god from the Terran Greek mythological pantheon and was one of the Titans , the giant sons and daughters of Uranus (Heaven) and Gaia (Earth). Coeus pinnaces tend to be named after mythological characters and creatures. 
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Type UI class Combat Transport Smallcraft
- Aekguthand class Assault Cutter
- Assault Lander class Marine Gig
- Coeus class Assault Pinnace
- Gallant class Assault Shuttle
- Great Eastern class Troop Transport
- K'Bam class Assault Lander
- Kihrvak Platoon Drop Ship class Marine Cutter
- K'Slice class Attacker Tender
- Lowalaa class Assault Cutter
- Mal'Gnar class Assault Skiff
- Nirvana class Modular Dropship
- Paulos class Troop Transport
- Raptor class Combat Lander
- Slicer class Assault Shuttle
- Steffern class Assault Lander
- Sturmge class Assault Shuttle
- TC02 Grave Endeavor class Dropship
- TC04 Valkyrie class Dropship
- Type-1112 class Landing Boat
- Ziigusna class Military Pinnace
|This article has Metadata|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Marc Miller, Frank Chadwick, John Harshman. High Guard (Game Designers Workshop, 1980), 20-37. (Design Sequence Used)
- Jordan Weisman. I.S.P.M.V Tethys (FASA, 1980), 1-8, Cover, Poster.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science