Anglic is a language that is used by the Solomani race of Humaniti whereever they reside. It is a hypercentral language and is often used as a lingua franca (trade language) throughout Charted Space. The dominant dialect of Anglic is called Core Anglic although lay people often use the terms interchangeably.
- There is decidedly French influence on the Anglic of the Third Imperium. 
- It is also commonly referred to as Galanglic.
- It is a hypercentral language.
Anglic (also known as Galanglic for Galactic Anglic) is one of the official languages of the Third Imperium.
A distant descendent of Terran English, Anglic was used as a general communication language between people among the Terran forces - even though most of them had a different mother tongue, depending on their country of birth.
On many worlds, Anglic is only a second language used for system traffic control, commercial operations, and interstellar communications. Indeed, according to the initial waves of settlements a world has known in its history, the local language(s) may well be Vilani, a language from one of the many human civilizations which were incorporated in the first Imperium, or one of the Terran languages.
For the most part, most variations of modern Anglic use structures similar to modern English, as is still used on Terra.
Morphology is the study of the internal structure of words.
- Most variations of modern Anglic use morphologies very similar to modern English, as is still used on Terra.
Phonology, the study of the sound systems of a language.
- Most variations of modern Anglic use phonologies very dissimilar to modern English, as is still used on Terra.
Grammar is the structure of a language.
- Much like Terran German, Modern Anglic capitalizes all nouns, whether proper or not, unlike Terran English. This often leads to conflict with English speakers who use a different system of grammatical rules for capitalization of words.
Syntax is the study of how words combine to form grammatical sentences.
- Phrase, clause, grammatical function, grammatical voice, etc.
Etymology: Modern Anglic naturally includes words from various origins, notably many Vilani words. In addition the evolution of the language has made it completely different from the old Terran English.
See Anglic Lexicon
A lexicon is the word supply of a language.
- Word, lexeme, lemma, lexicon, vocabulary, terminology, etc.
Semantics is the study of the meaning of words (lexical semantics), and how these combine to form the meanings of sentences.
- Meaning, sense, entailment, truth condition, compositionality, etc.
Pragmatics is the study of how language is used by its speakers.
- Presupposition, implicature, deixis
Anglic uses two primary scripts, both considered official:
Historical Linguistics: The First Imperium itself had several languages: it had been born out of a gathering of worlds which all had their own civilizations and languages. However, given the centralized structure of the First Imperium, the Vilani language had imposed itself as a common language.
After the Terran forces conquered the First Imperium, Anglic became naturally the official language of the Rule of Man (or the Second Imperium -2294 to -1776) and remained a common interstellar language for trade and commerce during the Long Night. At the founding of the Third Imperium, the official language of the Sylean Federation was Sylean, but Anglic was in widespread use throughout Core Sector. As the Imperium recontacted and absorbed other states, it was found to be the most commonly encountered language for trade and soon became dominant.
The Third Imperium has not been able to prevent the emergence of a wide variety of Anglic dialects. Interstellar communications, holocrystals, and recordings help to spread a uniform pronunciation of Anglic throughout the entire Imperium. Within the Imperium, any Anglic speaker can understand almost any other, but isolated communities on worlds with little contact with the interstellar trade lanes shift their speech patterns to form dialects. Notable examples include the Tenjada Moralitate, the Solomani Preserve, and the various polities of Holowon Sector, Amderstun Sector, and especially Katoonah Sector.
In addition, broad areas within the Third Imperium have established their own pronunciation patterns; accepted dialects include:
- Rim (which includes Terra)
- Core (the central region of the Imperium)
- Riftian (the spinward frontiers)
- Transform (the Antares region)
- Galaach an Anglic derived trade language used in the Ushran Empire
In addition to different formal dialects there are thousands of individual pidgin and creole languages that have developed from Anglic, especially on backwater worlds that retain a different local language entirely. A trader might be able to communicate in formal or pidgin Anglic at a starport, and find that the natives a kilometer away speak an unintelligible dialect known only to natives.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)