- It is part of Charted Space.
- 1 Astronavigational Codes
- 2 Description (Specifications)
- 3 History & Background (Dossier)
- 3.1 Political Lineage: 1105
- 3.2 Demographics
- 3.3 Major Historical Events Timeline: 1116
- 3.4 Early History
- 3.5 Kingdom of Sylea
- 3.6 Federation and Vilani
- 3.7 Cleon and Federation
- 3.8 Twilight & Federation Growth
- 3.9 Federation to Third Imperium
- 3.10 Government and politics
- 3.11 Image Repository
- 4 Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
- 5 References & Contributors (Sources)
|Sylean Federation||Pre-Imperial||SyFe||No standard code||Pre-Imperial foundational state. Founded -650.|
|Sylean Federation||1st Survey (300)||Sy||2-ltr code||SyFe (Sy) became the Third Imperium|
|Third Imperium||2nd Survey (1065)||Im||4-ltr code||Add last 2 letters for Domain. e.g. ImDs: Imperial, Domain of Sol.|
|Third Imperium Sylean Worlds||2nd Survey (1065)||ImSy||4-ltr code||Cultural Region|
- Large interstellar federation which served as the basis for the Third Imperium.
- Succeeded by the Third Imperium and Sylean Worlds, a cultural region with in the Third Imperium.
The Sylean Federation evolved out of the ancient Kingdom of Sylea, centered on the world of Sylea (today called Capital) in the year -650 during the Long Night. The Sylean Federation itself evolved in its turn into an ambitious sector-wide polity in Core Sector during the final 650 years of the Long Night. Guided by the last President of its Grand Senate, Grand Duke Cleon Zhunastu, the Sylean Federation was transformed into the Third Imperium in year 0.
Political Lineage: 1105
- Balkanized Sylea → Sylean Empire (Sylean World-State) → Sylean Protectorate → Long Night → Kingdom of Sylea → Sylean Federation → Sylean Worlds Cultural Region (present)
Significant populations of the following sophont races exist within this polity:
Major Historical Events Timeline: 1116
These are some of the more important historical events that have affected this polity:
- (-1900 to -906): Sylean Protectorate
- (-905 to -651): Kingdom of Sylea
- (-650 to 0): Sylean Federation
- (-495): Sylean Federation expands as far as Vland, well into the Lishun, Antares, and Fornast sectors.
- (-30): Cleon Zhunastu heads an industrial consortium, Zhunastu Industries, which controls the Sylean Federation.
- (0 to Present): Sylean Worlds cultural region established within the Third Imperium.
Established on Sylea in -650 (replacing the single-world Kingdom of Sylea and its hereditary planetary monarchy with a more expansionist and republican government), the Federation grew slowly, absorbing several surrounding worlds and increasing trade and interaction between worlds.
Kingdom of Sylea
The Kingdom of Sylea was the global government that ruled the planet Sylea from year -905 to year -650. It was mainly confined to one world, unlike the interstellar Sylean Protectorate it replaced. The Kingdom was ruled by a hereditary planetary monarch along with a legislative body, the Sylean Grand Senate.
By the 7th Century pre-Imperial, a reform movement saw the Sylean hereditary monarchy abolished in favor of an elected chief executive (the Grand Duke) and the Kingdom of Sylea became a republic, the Sylean Federation.
Federation and Vilani
The trade scouts from the Sylean Federation were wide ranging in their efforts to find possible trading partners.
Cleon and Federation
By -30, the real power in the Federation was an industrial consortium headed by Cleon Zhunastu. Cleon, a Solomani noble of great vision, used his family industrial base and the support of other families (obtained by the persuasiveness of his personality) to obtain behind-the-scenes control of the Federation government and begin an active campaign to increase the number of worlds under its control.
Twilight & Federation Growth
After thirty years of economic and diplomatic maneuvering (and occasional military action), Cleon had increased the size of the Federation, extending its control to the edge of what is now Core sector. Cleon envisioned a territory larger than a single sector, however, and concluded that the tightly controlled, highly centralized nature of the government of the Sylean Federation was not suitable for a large, starspanning empire. Cleon decided the Federation had served its purpose, and began plans for a more suitable form of interstellar government, which would allow greater local autonomy but maintain cohesion over large distances. In addition, to restore the past glories of the Rule of Man (and therefore lay claim to all former territories of the First and Second Imperiums), Cleon proposed to revive the Imperium.
This was made possible by the fact that in the closing years of the period known as Twilight, one of the last claimants to the throne of the Rule of Man had made Sylea his capital. Cleon traced the legitimacy of the Sylean Federation backwards through this emperor to the Rule of Man and (since the Rule of Man claimed to be the lawful successor to the Vilani Imperium) to the First Imperium as well.
Federation to Third Imperium
In the 651st year of the Sylean Federation, the Grand Senate of the Federation persuaded Cleon to accept the Imperial crown. That year, he was crowned First Emperor of the Third Imperium and proclaimed the 651st year of the Sylean Federation to be the Year Zero of the Third Imperium.
Government and politics
- Cleon, a Solomani noble of great vision, used his family industrial base and the support of other families (obtained by the persuasiveness of his personality) to obtain behind-the-scenes control of the Federation Government and begin an active campaign to increase the number of worlds under its control.
Executive power for the Sylean Federation was vested in a hereditary and planetary monarch, the Grand Duke of Sylea.
Legislative power in the Sylean Federation was vested in the Sylean Supreme Court.
- Please see Sylean Supreme Court for more information.
Legislative power in the Sylean Federation was vested in the Sylean Grand Senate.
- Please see Sylean Grand Senate for more information.
No information yet available.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
World Listing: 0
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|