Treader class Free Trader
|Treader class Free Trader|
|Type: A2 Free Trader|
|Also see||Tramp Vessel|
|Canon||No. Unpublished, non-canon fan design.|
|Cost|| MCr104.700 (base)|
|EOS||Still in active service.|
|Passengers||2 High/Med 10 Low|
|Reference||Fan: Ade Stewart|
|Starships are designed with the Classic Traveller format, using High Guard.|
The Treader class Free Trader is a small mercantile starship.
The Treader class is a merchant vessel commonly encountered within the Distant Fringe region. It is classified as a Transport and is constructed as a conventional design. Similar designs have been in use from the time the Distant Fringe was first settled. Some believe that it was a further development of an ancient Solomani design.
- The vessel is a TL-11 design.
General Description & Deck Plans
No information yet available.
Basic Ship Characteristics
Following the Imperial Navy and IISS Universal Ship Profile and data, additional information is presented in the format shown here. The small craft factor indicates the number of squadrons (of ten subcraft) carried on the ship. Tonnage on the universal ship profile is shown in kilotons (thousands of tons) where necessary. 
|1.||Tonnage / Hull||The Free Trader is constructed using a 200 dTon hull built in a conical configuration. The hull is streamlined and has airfoil surfaces, giving good atmospheric performance that is reliant on its onboard gravitic systems.|
|2.||Crew|| Total Crew Complement: x6
There are x10 Low Berths, primarily used for transporting livestock.
|3.||Performance / Engineering|| The vessel mounts a DeVoss-type Jump-2 drive, a Maneuver-1 drive and a Power Plant-2, giving performance of Jump-2, 1-G acceleration and producing 4 Energy Points. The ship has an agility rating of 1. The internal fuel tankage is sufficient for one Jump-2 and gives the power plant 4 weeks duration.
|4.||Main Section / Electronics||Adjacent to the bridge is a Model/2 Computer: the vessel does not have a backup computer.|
|5.||Hardpoints|| x2 hardpoints.
|6.||Armament / Weaponry||The normal weapons fit-out for a Treader is:|
|7.||Defenses|| The hull is unarmored.
The vessel is not fitted with screens or other passive defensive systems.
|8.||Craft / Subcraft||The vessel carries no subcraft.|
|9.||Fuel Treatment||The vessel has internal fuel tankage of 44 dTons.|
|10.||Cost|| The basic cost of the vessel is MCr104.700.
|11.||Construction Time|| 44 weeks (9 months) as standard.
|12.||Remarks|| Standard cargo capacity amounts to 80 dTons.
There is a 1 dTon secure locker.
The Distant Fringe is said to be a far spinward-rimward area inhabited by colonists and refugees originating on Terra and separated by vast, almost uncrossable rifts that were once broached by a massive system of calibration points. Those few academics within Charted Space who have heard of the Distant Fringe regard it as little more than a tall tale. Likewise, many of the inhabitants of the Distant Fringe believe the existence of Charted Space to be mythical.
These vessels are very rarely encountered outside of the Distant Fringe region. However, misjumps do occur and anomalies with bizarre spacetime and jumpspace effects exist: as such, craft of this type are not entirely unknown within Charted Space.
The Treader class shares a basic hull pattern with the Wanderer class Luxury Yacht. The design is representative and a large number of variants exist, particularly with regard to the allotted weapons systems, onboard electronics, and the fit out of internal spaces.
Class Naming Practice/s & Peculiarities
A number of companies manufacture ships equivalent to the Treader class. They vary in hull shape and internal layout but all share the same basic design and all have very similar capabilities and performance characteristics.
- Each variant class is named by the company that produces it: these organizations generally draw on traditional naming protocols. It is not uncommon for a historical class name to be reused.
- Individual vessels within a class are issued specific serial numbers and transponder codes but traditionally are named by their owners. This is considered a serious affair and a ship with a frivolous name is considered "unlucky".
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Type A2 class Far Trader
- Akkigish class Far Trader
- Akkigish class Subsidized Merchant
- April Hare class Far Trader
- Avian class Far Trader
- Empress Marava class Far Trader
- Fanzhienz class Far Trader
- Farrou class Far Trader
- Garu class Far Trader
- Gizicih class General Trader
- Hero class Far Trader
- Hnneshant class Trade Boat
- Hugin class Trader
- Jayhawk class Far Trader
- Khershawn class Trader
- Maru class Merchant
- Nymph class Merchant
- Prince Ferren class Far Trader
- Princess Gunnhilde class Far Trader
- Salamander class Far Trader
- Soho class Light Freighter
- Treader class Free Trader
- Type A2L class Far Trader
- Type HR class Trader
- Type VA class Trader
- Wulf class Free Trader
|This article has Metadata|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Marc Miller, Frank Chadwick, John Harshman. High Guard (Game Designers Workshop, 1980), 20-37. (Design Sequence Used)
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science