Palatine class Merchant Trader
|Palatine class Merchant Trader|
|Type: R2 Merchant Trader|
|Also see||Merchant Vessel|
|Canon||No. Unpublished, non-canon fan design.|
|Cost|| MCr331.728 (base)|
|EOS||Still in active service.|
|Hull||Flattened Sphere Hull|
|Passengers||12 High/Med 40 Low|
|Reference||Ade Alagoric Stewart|
|Starships are designed with the Classic Traveller format, using High Guard.|
The Palatine class Merchant Trader is a mercantile starship.
- It is a civilian ship and a Merchant Vessel.
- The vessel is a TL-11 design.
- Please also see: Ships of the Distant Fringe
The Merchant Trader is a small commercial transport.
- It is classified as a Commercial Mercantile Ship and is constructed as a conventional design. Similar designs have been in use from the time the Distant Fringe was first settled.
General Description & Deck Plans
No information yet available.
Basic Ship Characteristics
Following the Imperial Navy and IISS Universal Ship Profile and data, additional information is presented in the format shown here. The small craft factor indicates the number of squadrons (...of ten subcraft) carried on the ship. Tonnage on the universal ship profile is shown in kilotons (...thousands of tons) where necessary. 
|Basic Ship Characteristics |
|1.||Tonnage / Hull||The Palatine class Merchant Trader is constructed using a 700 dTon hull built in a disk-shaped configuration. The hull has airframe properties, giving good atmospheric performance that enhances its gravitic systems.|
|2.||Crew|| Total Crew Complement: 16
x4 Command, x1 Engineering, x6 Gunnery, and 3x Service, of which 1 doubles up as flight crew for the subcraft as required. In addition, the vessel carries x2 Passenger Stewards.
There are 40 Low Berths, tended by the stewards.
|3.||Performance|| The vessel mounts a DeVoss-type Jump-2 drive, a Maneuver-1 drive and a Power Plant-2, giving performance of jump-2, 1-G acceleration and producing 14 Energy Points. The ship has an agility rating of 0 and an emergency agility of 2. The internal fuel tankage is sufficient for one Jump-2 and gives the power plant 6 weeks duration.
|4.||Electronics||Adjacent to the bridge is a Model/2 Computer: the vessel has a backup Model/2 Computer.|
|5.||Hardpoints|| x7 hardpoints.
|6.||Armament||The normal weapons fit-out for a Palatine class is:|
|7.||Defenses|| The hull is plated, braced and structurally reinforced, with an armor rating of 1.
The vessel is not fitted with screens or other passive defensive systems.
|9.||Fuel Treatment||The vessel has internal fuel tankage of 154 dTons.|
|10.||Cost||The basic cost of the vessel, complete with its complement of subcraft, is MCr331.728.|
|11.||Construction Time|| 104 weeks (26 months) as standard.
|12.||Comments||Standard cargo capacity amounts to 300 dTons.|
Class Naming Practice/s & Peculiarities
A number of companies manufacture ships equivalent to the Palatine class. They vary in hull shape and internal layout but all share the same basic design and all have very similar capabilities and performance characteristics.
- Each variant class is named by the company that produces it, but these organizations generally draw on traditional naming protocols. It is not uncommon for a historical class name to be reused.
- Individual vessels within a class are issued specific serial numbers and transponder codes but traditionally are named by their first crew, though from a list of approved options. This is considered a serious affair and a ship with a frivolous name is considered "unlucky".
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Type R2 class Subsidized Merchant AKA Far Liner
|This article has Metadata|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Marc Miller, Frank Chadwick, John Harshman. High Guard (Game Designers Workshop, 1980), 20-37. (Design Sequence Used)
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science