Goliath class Provincial Freighter
|Goliath class Provincial Freighter|
|Type: MF Provincial Freighter|
|Canon||No. Unpublished, non-canon fan design.|
|EOS||Still in active service.|
|Passengers||25 High/Med 100 Low|
|Reference||Fan: Ade Stewart|
|Starships are designed with the Classic Traveller format, using Book 5 High Guard|
- It is a Civilian Ship and a Provincial Freighter.
- The vessel is a TL-9 design.
- Please also see: Ships of the Distant Fringe.
A generic class of civilian vessel, the Provincial Freighter is a commercial transport typically encountered operating within clusters of stars within the Distant Fringe region. It is classified as a Bulk Cargo Carrier and is constructed as a conventional design. Similar designs have been in use from the time the Distant Fringe was first settled.
General Description & Deck Plans
No information yet available.
Basic Ship Characteristics
Following the Imperial Navy and IISS Universal Ship Profile and data, additional information is presented in the format shown here. The small craft factor indicates the number of squadrons (...of ten subcraft) carried on the ship. Tonnage on the universal ship profile is shown in kilotons (...thousands of tons) where necessary. 
|Basic Ship Characteristics |
|1.||Tonnage / Hull||The Provincial Freighter is constructed using a 3,500 dTon hull built in a generally conical configuration. The hull is fully streamlined, giving good atmospheric performance that is further enhanced by its onboard gravitic systems.|
|3.||Performance||The vessel mounts a DeVoss-type Jump-1 drive, a Maneuver-2 drive, and a Power Plant-2, giving performance of Jump-1 and 2-G acceleration. The ship has an agility rating of 2. The internal fuel tankage is sufficient for one Jump-1 and gives the power plant 4 weeks duration.
|4.||Electronics||Adjacent to the bridge is a Model/2 computer: the vessel has a backup Model/2 computer.|
|6.||Armament||The normal weapons fit-out for a Provincial Freighter is:|
|7.||Defenses||The hull is unarmored.|
|9.||Fuel Treatment||The vessel has internal fuel tankage of 220 dTons.|
|10.||Cost||The basic cost of the vessel is MCr1,501.957|
|11.||Construction Time||84 weeks (21 months) as standard.
|12.||Comments||Standard cargo capacity amounts to 2,400 dTons.|
Distant Fringe Vessels
The Distant Fringe is said to be a far spinward-rimward area inhabited by colonists and refugees originating on Terra. The region is extremely isolated, separated from the rest of Charted Space by vast, almost uncrossable rifts that were once broached by a system of calibration Points and the use of tankers. Those few academics within Charted Space who have found references to the Distant Fringe regard it as little more than a tall tale. Likewise, many of the inhabitants of the Distant Fringe believe the existence of Charted Space to be mythical.
Vessels originating within the Distant Fringe are very rarely encountered outside of the region. However, misjumps do occur and anomalies with bizarre spacetime and Jumpspace effects exist: as such, craft of this type are not entirely unknown within Charted Space.
Class Naming Practice/s & Peculiarities
A number of companies manufacture ships equivalent to the Goliath class. They vary in hull shape and internal layout but all share the same basic design and all have very similar capabilities and performance characteristics.
- Each variant class is named by the company that produces it: these organizations generally draw on traditional naming protocols. It is not uncommon for a historical class name to be reused.
- Individual vessels within a class are issued specific serial numbers and transponder codes but traditionally are named by their first crew, though from a list of approved options. This is considered a serious affair and a ship with a frivolous name is considered "unlucky".
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Type MT class Transport
|This article has Metadata|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Marc Miller, Frank Chadwick, John Harshman. High Guard (Game Designers Workshop, 1980), 20-37. (Design Sequence Used)
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science