Hughes class Light Cruiser
|Hughes class Light Cruiser|
|Type: CL Light Cruiser|
|Architect||Ronald B. Kline, Jr.|
|Canon||No. Unpublished, non-canon fan design.|
|Cost|| MCr16,070.373 (base)|
|EOS||Still in active service.|
|Hull||Oreo Pattern Hull|
|Passengers||0 High/Med 0 Low|
|Reference||Fan: Ronald B. Kline, Jr.|
|Starships are designed with the Classic Traveller format, using High Guard Shipyard v1.13 written by Andrea Vallance.|
The Hughes class Light Cruiser is a light warship.
The Hughes class Light Cruiser was originally designed for service with the Fleets of the Domain of Sylea. The primary weapon is the very powerful Meson Gun spinal mount, giving the vessel a punch far above its weight. In order to deal with potential critical damage stemming from its lack of hull armor, it carries multiple spare and secondary systems, including a backup Model/9 fib computer and an extra nuclear damper and meson screen. The design process was strongly influenced by the former Duke of Oreo Subsector, in Massilia Sector, a keen amateur naval architect and an influential figure in the Imperial court. In compliance with the "Oreo Settlement" the ship carries an Alfred class Gunboat. It also has a pair of 20-Ton Gigs for use in Marine operations.
No information yet available.
General Description & Deck Plans
No information yet available.
Basic Ship Characteristics
Following the Imperial Navy and IISS Universal Ship Profile and data, additional information is presented in the format shown here. The small craft factor indicates the number of squadrons (...of ten subcraft) carried on the ship. Tonnage on the universal ship profile is shown in kilotons (...thousands of tons) where necessary. 
|Basic Ship Characteristics |
|1.||Tonnage / Hull|| The Hughes class is constructed using a 22,000 Ton hull built in a Close Structure configuration. The hull is partially streamlined, giving a relatively limited atmospheric performance that is reliant on its onboard gravitic systems.
|2.||Crew|| x231 personnel, including x45 Marines.
|3.||Performance||The vessel mounts a Jump-4 drive, a Maneuver-6 drive, and a Power Plant-10, giving performance of Jump-4 and 6-G acceleration. The ship has an agility rating of 1 and an emergency agility of 6. The internal fuel tankage is sufficient for one Jump-4 and gives the power plant 4 weeks duration.|
|4.||Electronics|| Adjacent to the bridge is a Model/9 fib computer: the vessel has a backup Model/9 fib computer.
|5.||Hardpoints|| x220 hardpoints.
|6.||Armament||The normal weapons fit-out for it is:|
|7.||Defenses||The hull is unarmored.|
|9.||Fuel Treatment||The vessel has internal fuel tankage of 11,000 Tons.|
|10.||Cost|| The basic cost of the vessel is MCr16,070.373
|11.||Construction Time|| 176 weeks (41 months) as standard.
|12.||Comments|| Standard cargo capacity amounts to 2.5 Tons.
The Hughes class Light Cruiser sees service in Fleets across the Domain of Sylea and beyond. It was designed to be produced in shipyards across the Domain and was intended for general Imperial service, and as such it bore no particular cultural or political influences within its architecture. However, it was designated for service with the 146th Fleet stationed in Oreo Subsector, and consequently the eccentric but influential 14th Duke of Oreo became involved in the project.
The 14th Duke was a direct descendant of the aristocratic Halls families, the pre-Imperial rulers of Oreo Subsector. When the Oreo Worlds, the proto-polity they controlled, was absorbed into the expanding Third Imperium they gained a privilege known as the "Oreo Settlement". This mandated that any vessels that were to serve with the 146th Fleet – the designation given to the former Oreo Worlds flotilla and considered by the 14th Duke to be his "personal Fleet" – must be locally designed and manufactured. The privilege had been granted by Cleon I himself and the Duke insisted that it must be honored.
The demand was utterly impractical and strategically suicidal, and the Navy resisted the proposal, eventually resulting in the direct intervention of the Archduke of the Domain. She ruled that all vessels of the Hughes class, no matter where they served, were to carry an Alfred class Gunboat, a small combat craft that was the personal design of the 14th Duke himself. The Alfred was a capable vessel and all parties found the resolution acceptable. The current Duke has maintained his father's policy and as a result many classes of warship operating within the Domain carry at least one Alfred. Some naval officers resent the ongoing Noble influence on naval architecture: others see the broader political benefits that such indulgences can bring.
"Oreo Pattern" hulls are a naval design feature that grew out of the "Oreo Settlement", and which was initially implemented in Oreo Subsector of Massilia Sector for economic reasons following the Civil War. Fundamentally, it is the process of creating hybrid technology ships. Unarmored hulls are locally built at lower tech levels, transported aboard commercial vessels, and fitted out as TL-15 warships at the more advanced shipyards in the region. "Oreo Pattern" starships have proven just as capable as their counterparts originating in other regions of the Imperium and it is now an accepted quirk of warships originating within the Domain of Sylea. 
Class Naming Practice/s & Peculiarities
No information yet available.
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Type CL class Light Cruiser
- Amazone class Light Cruiser
- Atsah class Light Cruiser
- Basilos class Pocket Cruiser
- Blue Ridge class Command Cruiser
- Blunt Force class Light Cruiser
- Death's Head class Light Cruiser
- Delightful class Light Cruiser
- Dimin class Pocket Cruiser
- Foghoks class Heavy Cruiser
- Grinder class Light Cruiser
- Griswold class Light Cruiser
- Guanxou class Light Cruiser
- Gvergh class Cruiser
- Holy Avenger class Pursuit Cruiser
- Hughes class Light Cruiser
- Ikired*Ni class Medium Cruiser
- Imporis class Light Cruiser
- Intrepid class Cruiser
- Iroieah class Light Cruiser
- K'shek class Light Cruiser
- Ka'sch class Battle Cruiser
- Khiirshag class Light Cruiser
- Kilbride class Light Frigate
- Lenat class Light Cruiser
- Lon Mardos class Light Cruiser
- Montrose class Light Frigate
- Oumuamua class Light Cruiser
- Plizhdrint class Light Cruiser
- Pteron class Battle Cruiser
- Pugnacious class Battle Cruiser
- Resadiye class Light Cruiser
- Riavl class Light Cruiser
- Sabre class Light Cruiser
- Salazar class Light Cruiser
- Sanoet class Light Cruiser
- Sarmonocci class Light Cruiser
- SH20K class Light Cruiser
- Shizhdr class Light Cruiser
- Swooping Victory class Defense Cruiser
- Tacoolu class Light Cruiser
- Terminus class Light Cruiser
- Terrible class Light Cruiser
- Ticonderoga class Light Cruiser
- Trundi Fringe class Light Cruiser
- Type C31 class Cruiser
- Valeria class Light Cruiser
- Vlezdre' class Light Cruiser
- Vosh class Security Cruiser
- Warhound class Light Cruiser
- Weakhto class Cruiser
- Winston class Light Cruiser
- Zhdavldlits class Light Cruiser
- Zydar class Light Cruiser
|This article has Metadata|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Marc Miller, Frank Chadwick, John Harshman. High Guard (Game Designers Workshop, 1980), 20-37. (Design Sequence Used)
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis), Captain, and Lead Naval Architect Ronald B. Kline, Jr. of the Imperial Navy
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science