Tal Varisa (world)
|Tal Varisa/Velous (Far Home 0911)|
|Classic Era (1115)|
|Primary||G1 V D|
- As an industrial world, this planet has well-developed manufacturing and processing industries. Manufactured goods are a major export item.
- Its economy is rapidly growing and living conditions are expected to rapidly improve barring outside forces.
- It is a member of the Firstworlds in the Velous Subsector of Far Home Sector.
- This world-system hosts a Military Base, usually associated with military ground forces, which may be located on or off-world.
- About 90% of the population is composed of baseline humans.
- About 10% of the population is composed of Hoppers.
Description (Astrography & Planetology)
- It is a part of the Risa Cluster.
- Tal Varisa is the oldest human-inhabited world in the Distant Fringe. It is the capital of the Firstworlds, a major industrial center and one of the most important shipyards in the region.
Binary Solar System
Tal Varisa Binary Star System Star Name Hierarchy Category Mass (Sol) Temp (K) Luminosity (Sol) Durad
Primary Main Sequence 1.02 5200 - 6000 1.102 Unit Diameter Min Distance Hab Zone Jump Shadow M-Drive Limit AU 0.00936 0.08707 0.83 - 1.36 0.936 9.36 Orbit # * * 3 3 7 Remarks None Star Name Hierarchy Category Mass (Sol) Temp (K) Luminosity (Sol) Ishida
Secondary White Dwarf 0.36 14000 - 14000 0.005 Unit Diameter Min Distance Hab Zone Jump Shadow M-Drive Limit AU 0.00016 0.00587 0.06 - 0.09 0.016 0.16 Orbit # * * * * 0 Remarks Close orbit around primary
Durad-Ishisa-Tal Varisa System
The primary is Durad, an ordinary yellow main sequence star. It has a luminosity of 1.102 Sols, a mass of 1.02 Sols and a diameter of 1.567 million km. It retains Ishida, a dwarf companion star, in a close orbit. Ishida has a luminosity of 0.0003 Sols, a mass of 0.42 Sols and a diameter of 18,100 km. The inner system consists of (II) a vacuum worldlet, and (III) a very thin atmosphere hospitable world – orbital position (I) is empty. (IV) Tal Varisa orbits within the habitable zone and is designated the mainworld. (V) an exotic atmosphere bigworld, (VI) a sparse stony planetoid belt, (VII) a ringed large gas giant, (VIII) a large gas giant, (IX) a vacuum iceworld, (X) a small gas giant, and (XI) a vacuum worldlet form the outer system. Many of the worlds retain satellites.
(IV) Tal Varisa
(IV) Tal Varisa is designated the mainworld. It orbits Durad and Ishida at a mean distance of 1.02 AU (153 million km), within the habitable zone. It has an orbital period of 313 days 13 hours and a rotation period of 29.5 hours. The axial tilt is 21 degrees. Tal Varisa has a diameter of 13,026 km, a density of 5.62 g/cm³, and a surface gravity of 1.04 G. The world is geologically active. Its atmosphere is rated as Standard, Tainted, with a mean surface pressure of 1.05 bar and a composition of 76% nitrogen (N2), 22% oxygen (O2), 1% argon (Ar), and 1% water vapor (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2), ozone (O3), neon (Ne) and other trace gases. The taint is caused by pollens of organic origin: at altitudes in excess of 1500m the taint is negligible. Approximately 72% of the surface is covered in oceans of liquid water: average tidal ranges exceed 0.5m. Mean surface temperature: 14°C. The climate is rated as Temperate-Cool and experiences minor seasonal changes during the local year. The atmosphere is dynamic and powerful weather systems, driven by the star and the oceans, sweep across the globe.
Mainworld Size (S)
This world is a Meso World between 12,000km and 13,500km in diameter. The world has a standard gravity between 0.8G and 1.1G. The horizon will appear about 5.1km away. Vessels with 1G of thrust should check with local starport authorities before attempting to land using emergency power.
Mainworld Atmosphere (A)
This world has a pressure of 0.71 to 1.49 atmospheres. While a Standard Atmosphere does not require survival gear this atmosphere also contains an unusual taint such as such as disease, a hazardous gas mix, pollutants, or sulfur compounds which requires the use of a Filter Mask. Some taints may require more protective equipment. TL–3 or more advanced survival gear is required to settle this world.
This world has 65-75% of its surface covered by liquid water. It has significant large liquid bodies. Wilderness refueling is possible.
- (IVa) Versal (UWP G200000-0, orbiting at 25 Diameters/325,000 km)
- (IVb) Vance (UWP F44366A-A, orbiting at 40 Diameters/520,000 km).
Mainworld Geography and Topography
Total surface area: 533 million km², Water surface area: 384 million km², Land surface area: 149 million km². There are two large continents: fertile Samarna, in the northern temperate zone, and arid Thalios, straddling the equator. There are three small continents, mountainous Aspax, forested Gurn and subarctic Garvey, all lying in the southern hemisphere. Subcontinental landmasses, smaller islands and long chains of archipelagos dot the globe. The major bodies of water are the the Great Southern Ocean, the Ocean of Stars, the Central Sea, and the Surge Sea. There are large icecaps at both poles.
Durad-Ishisa-Tal Varisa System
The hot marginally hospitable world lying in orbital position (III) (within the H– region of the inner system) has primitive native life, consisting entirely of microscopic cyanobacteria-parallels that exist in any location where they can find even a minimal trace of shelter and moisture. Their metabolic functions maintain the process of atmospheric renewal.
Tal Varisa, the mainworld, has extensive and abundant native life. Flora is prolific and abundant and tends to have dense, tall stems and grow in distinct clusters. Foliage is generally flat and circular and primarily green in colour. Their metabolic functions drive the process of atmospheric renewal. Almost all flora are flowering and whilst beautiful to look at they produce vast amounts of airborne pollen: these trigger severe allergic responses in humans including acute respiratory problems. Fauna follows a wide variety of body patterns but the prevalent form is Trilateral HS-TB-AN-LL-N, with cartilage interiors, hemolymph fluids and skin exteriors. Most native organisms are digestible by humans: most have a bitter flavour that is something of an acquired taste.
- Vance, Tal Varisa's hospitable outer moon has extensive native life, consisting of microscopic organisms, stromatolite-parallels and primitive flora that can be found in almost every ecological niche. Their metabolic functions drive the process of atmospheric renewal.
- The Varisan Quad Jumper is an odd local species.
Tal Varisa is one of the original Seven Colonies and has been populated for far more than three millennia.
Tal Varisa has a Class A Starport, an excellent quality installation which includes all the expected amenities including refined fuel for starships, brokerage services for passengers and cargo, and a variety of ship provisions. There is a shipyard capable of doing annual maintenance, overhauls and other kinds of repair, and construction of both starships and non-starships. Most ports of this classification have both a Highport and a Downport.
- Status: peace footing (government modifier x1.15).
- Construction Restrictions:
- Maximum TL: TL 11
- Maximum Jump: Jump-2
- Maximum Hull Size: 99,999 dTons
- Naval Capacity: 6,900,000 dTons
- Mercantile Capacity: 34,500,000 dTons
Port facilities within the system include:
World technology level
- Common Communication technologies for this TL include: Holovision, Personal Global Communications, and advanced Translators.
- Common Power Generation technologies for this TL include: Increasingly advanced fusion plants and advanced fuel cells.
- Common Transportation technologies for this TL include:
Tal Varisa is governed by an Impersonal Bureaucracy. The leadership of the government is another form (democracy, dictatorship, oligarchy), but the bureaucracy dictates government policy and its execution. Government leadership is reduced to little more than figureheads and does not select the bureaucracy leadership or its members.
UWP: A877A9A-B TL–11, Port Capacity 6,900,000 dTons Military Base. One of the major ship building hubs for the Distant Fringe. The Military Base is protected by orbital weapon platforms and deep meson gun sites.
Troop Strength: Army: 120,000 Battalions deployed as 240 Field Armies Marines: 2,020 Battalions in 101 Marine Divisions
Fleet Assets include:
- 10 x 35,000 ton TL–11 Tal Varisa class Light Cruisers
- 100 x 95,000 ton TL–11 Magada class Battleships
- 3 x 50,000 ton TL–11 Conquest class Heavy Cruisers
- Resources: D (Very abundant)
- Labor: 8 (Hundreds of millions)
- Infrastructure: D (Comprehensive)
- Efficiency: +4 (Advanced)
A number of important companies have their headquarters at Tal Varisa:
- Blue Star Lines.
- Carmine Investments.
- Corren Associates Bland
- First Astra Bank.
- General Robotics Corporation.
- Milieu Stock
- Mortall Brothers Ltd.
- Munro Calder & Co.
- Humaniti (Human races)
- Native Non-Human Races:
Capital and prime city: Carrington (population 80 million), located on the northern coast of the continent of Thalios.
- Homogeneity: C (Fragmented)
- Acceptance: D (Extremely xenophilic)
- Strangeness: 8
- Symbols: D
Tal Varisa was one of the original Seven Colonies and the first world to be officially colonised by humans within the Distant Fringe, in 2255AD. It was the location at the heart of Year One. It was the capital of the Second Confederation, it was the seat of the Traditionalist faction and the Redoubt Party during the civil wars, and was also the capital of the Third Confederation. It maintained a relatively high level of technology during the Dark Age. It was the location of the incidents that occurred during Slaver Year and was quick to reemerge onto the interstellar stage during the Renaissance.
No information yet available.
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|