A Pollutant is a harmful or dangerous substance present within the environment.
Pollution is the introduction of harmful materials into the planetary environment. Pollutants can be natural, originating from sources such as volcanic activity, or they can be created by sophont activity, such as waste or runoff produced by industry.
Pollutants reduce the quality of the atmosphere, the hydrosphere, and the land surface.
- They may mutate or kill local organisms.
Deliberately releasing pollution is generally regarded as a serious crime.
History & Background (Dossier)
Major forms of pollution include:
- Atmospheric pollution (typically gases or ash).
- Chemical pollution (such as volatile hydrocarbons).
- Radioactive contamination.
- Soil contamination (typically heavy metals).
- Thermal contamination (affecting the climate).
- Water pollution (typically by fluids).
Decontamination may be required after exposure to pollution.
References & Contributors (Sources)
- Marc Miller. Worlds and Adventures (Game Designers Workshop, 1977), 5.Marc Miller, Robert Eaglestone, Don McKinney. Worlds and Adventures (Far Future Enterprises, 2019), 5.
- J. Andrew Keith. Exotic Atmospheres (Game Designers Workshop, 1983), 1-16. (Special Supplement 2 from the periodical Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society 17)
- Marc Miller. Referee's Manual (Game Designers Workshop, 1987), 22.
- Joe Fugate, J. Andrew Keith, Gary L. Thomas. World Builder's Handbook (Digest Group Publications, 1989), 64-68.
- Terrance McInnes, Dave Nilsen. World Tamer's Handbook (Game Designers Workshop, 1994), 11-17.
- Jon F. Zeigler. First In (Steve Jackson Games, 1999), 70,72.
- Paul Drye, Loren Wiseman, Jon F. Zeigler. Interstellar Wars (Steve Jackson Games, 2006), 125-6.
- Gareth Hanrahan. Core Rulebook (Mongoose Publishing, 2008), TBD.
- Marc Miller. T5 Core Rules (Far Future Enterprises, 2013), 409.
- Paul Elliott. The Universal World Profile (Zozer Games, 2016), TBD.
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Jonathan Sherlock