- For normal worlds, the hydrosphere will be water; on other worlds with exotic, corrosive, or insidious atmospheres, it may be other liquids or fluids such as ammonia.
Library Data Referral Tree
- Observing Charted Space
- Universal World Profile (UWP)
- PBG Sequence
- COG Sequence
- Other System Data
Some worlds with vacuum atmospheres may have hydrographic percentages greater than 0 indicating that the world has ice caps present; the water will not be freestanding liquid. A Desert World may have up to 5% free-standing water and still be considered a Desert World. Conversely, a Water World may have a 96% hydrosphere and still be considered a Water World.
Hydrographic Code Table
|Code||Description|| % Surface Water
| % Surface Water
|0||Desert World||0||0 - 5||It is a super arid (anhydrous) environment.|
|1||Dry World||1 - 10||6 - 15||It is an arid (near anhydrous) environment.|
|2||Dry World||11 - 20||16 - 25||It is a standard (wet) environment.|
|3||Wet World||21 - 30||26 - 35||It is a normative (wet) environment.|
|4||Wet World||31 - 40||36 - 45||It is a normative (wet) environment.|
|5||Average Wet World||41 - 50||46 - 55||It is a normative (wet) environment.|
|6||Wet World||51 - 60||56 - 65||It is a normative (wet) environment.|
|7||Wet World||61 - 70||66 - 75||It is a normative (wet) environment.|
|8||Very Wet World||71 - 80||76 - 85||It is a standard (wet) environment.|
|9||Very Wet World||81 - 90||86 - 95||It is a marine (near superhydrous) environment.|
|A||Water World||91 - 100||96 - 100||It is a supermarine (superhydrous) environment.|
Sophonts are known for having opinions and hydrology and hydrography are no different. Two alternate schools of interpreting the UWP arose within the early Third Imperium and are still argued about across Charted Space. Which is better? Only you can say...
What Hydro Rating should Terra be?
Another longstanding argument ahs been: What hydro rating should Terra be?
- The dispute rages on, but values of 6 to 8 are most common.
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Marc Miller. Worlds and Adventures (Game Designers Workshop, 1977), 4, 6. (Classic Traveller Book 3)
- Joe Fugate. Grand Survey (Digest Group Publications, 1986), 19.
- Marc Miller. Referee's Manual (Game Designers Workshop, 1987), TBD.
- Joe Fugate, J. Andrew Keith, Gary L. Thomas. World Builder's Handbook (Digest Group Publications, 1989), TBD.
- Frank Chadwick, Dave Nilsen. Traveller: The New Era (Game Designers Workshop, 1993), TBD.
- Marc Miller. Marc Miller's Traveller (Imperium Games, 1996), TBD.
- Loren Wiseman. GURPS Traveller Core Rules (Steve Jackson Games, 1998), TBD.
- Martin Dougherty, Hunter Gordon. The Traveller's Handbook (QuikLink Interactive, 2002), TBD.
- Gareth Hanrahan. Mongoose Traveller Main Rulebook (Mongoose Publishing, 2008), TBD.
- Marc Miller. T5 Core Rules (Far Future Enterprises, 2013), TBD.
- Matthew Sprange. Core Rule Book (Mongoose Publishing, 2017), TBD.
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science