- It is located on the Spinward Main.
Description (Astrography & Planetology)
No information yet available.
Binary Solar System
871-438 Binary Star System Star Name Hierarchy Color Classification Remarks 871-438 Primary Primary Red M3 V 871-438 Companion Secondary Red M8 V
1510 871-438 (Imperial)
Starport: Class I.
Diameter: 6,961 miles (11,100 km).
Atmosphere: Very thin oxygen-nitrogen tainted by industrial pollutants.
Control Level: 0.
Tech Level: 8.
World Trade Number: 1.
History & Background (Dossier)
Non-Canon: The system containing 871-438 (Spinward Marches Jewell) consists of a remarkably stable main sequence G1 star, the barren dust ball is in the third orbit. There are two asteroid belts in orbits four and six. In addition, there is a pair of gas giants: a small one in the seventh orbit and a large one in the ninth. The system's Oort cloud contains the usual hundred billion or so comets.
- The two asteroid belts mostly consist of small bodies up to a maximum diameter of ten meters (roughly fifty displacement tons). Over eighty percent of these bodies are carbonaceous chondrite meteorites. The remainder are formed from various different ice compounds. Neither belt contains sufficient mineral resources to be of interest to belters. The inner belt has a diameter of about 0.1 AU and the outer about 1.5 AU.
- The small inner gas giant is a dull bluish-green disc composed of eighty percent hydrogen and fifteen percent helium. The remaining five percent of the giant is composed of the usual heavier gasses: ammonia, argon, carbon dioxide, chlorine, fluorine, methane, neon, nitrogen. Also detectable in trace concentrations are a multitude of other compounds created from these basic gasses as well as some other heavier elements, notably sulfur. This planet has three rocky moons and two icy moons orbiting, none of which showed any signs deserving of further investigation.
- The large outer gas giant is your standard whitish-orange giant composed primarily of hydrogen. Detectable quantities of ammonia, fluorine, helium and nitrogen exist. Notably absent is the presence of carbon based gases and compounds. This gas giant has a system of rings containing large numbers of very small carbonaceous bodies. Also present in orbit are upwards of fifteen natural moons in a variety of orbits.
- Renamed to Ijiwa Mines in the 1200's.
History-Era: New Era
In the Regency era the world is known as Ijiwa Mines.
Diamond, formerly 871-438
- A very small and unimpressive star system. There are numerous random bodies in the system too small and too spaced about to constitute a true belt. However, this system does have two worlds of note, the first being the moon of the only gas giant in the system. This single large moon is an inhospitable frozen iceball tidally locked towards the Gas Giant. Preliminary scans reported a world totally devoid of life, with wide ice plains, some harboring water ice. The world has little in the way of easily obtainable natural resources. The world is bitterly cold, any colony would have to be in domed or underground facilities. Its location has no particular strategic or economic importance. Located on a coreward spur of the Spinward main and away from any trade routes it is considered a "Backwater's backwater". It is for these reasons that for the past millennium the system was mostly ignored.
- In the year 1120, the Domain wide corporation X-TEK Industries, LIC registered a claim to the mainworld via the Imperial Corporate Planetary Acquisitions Act. X-TEK's claim to the world was for a testing facility for weapons and starships.
- Phase I, the creation of a class D/II starport on the surface, has been completed as of 150-1120. This was a 'landgrab' operation involving 10,000 workers taking nearly a month to complete. This facility was to be the staging point for the construction of the research facility at Area 51. Area 51 being the ice plain 50mi north of the starport originally mapped by the IISS and the area X-TEK has designated as its testing range and proving ground. This facility is now fully operational and not open to the public.
- Phases II and IIIa, now completed, involved systematic upgrades to the starport facilities. The starport is now (as of 001-1122) fully upgraded to a Class B/IV with limited highport and non-starship shipyards. A small fleet of Viper-class SDB patrol the area. Phase IIIb will involve upgrading the shipyard to a full starship yard. The X-TEK facility will upgrade from an Upgrade and Repair shop to a full corporate owned and operated X-TEK shipyard. It is expected that it will take 11,000 workers nearly a year to complete.
- Rumors are unsubstantiated at this time in that the Archduke is planning to place a Naval Base at Diamond (871-438). If so this would mean thousands of new jobs as X-TEK would be given a huge naval contract. Such a base would enact serious political repercussions given Diamond's proximity to the Federation of Arden.
- Currently, minor trade routes have been established with Extolay mostly in the field of Naval equipment for the base at that world and, surprisingly, Ruie with 2 Imperial member states importing high technology and ore.
- The other world of note seems to have been a sister to the mainworld which had been thrown off its orbit with the gas giant to form one of its own. This ammonia world has an eccentric and retrograde orbit. It is believed that this world had a far orbit from the gas giant and may have been pulled away when the white dwarf companion came within its closest approach. The world has an exotic atmosphere and is unsuited for any surface installation ,however X-TEK has plans to harvest chemicals from the atmosphere.