While the official IISS Trade Classification emphasizes low hydrography and a poor atmosphere requiring protective breathing equipment, IISS scouts in the field tend to extend its meaning to a variety of deadly environments. Bureaucrats, as usual, are known to kvetch (complain) about such technically incorrect designations.
Hellworlds or Inhospitable Worlds are worlds with environments not hospitable to conventional lifeforms.
- Its size, atmosphere, and hydrographic make it an extremely unattractive world.
- Hellworld (abbreviated "He") is a Trade classification for a world inhospitable to most sophonts.
- Its environment or Atmosphere and Hydrosphere make it an extremely unattractive inhospitable world.
|Desert World||De||--||23456789||0||--||--||--||Anhydrous world. Little to no available water.|
|Fluid World||Fl||--||ABC||123456789A||--||--||--||Non-water fluids.|
|Hell World||He||3459ABC||2479ABC||012||--||--||--||Difficult environment. Poor atmosphere.|
|Rad World||None||--||--||--||--||--||--||Extreme radiation.|
|Storm World||None||--||--||--||--||--||--||Extreme weather.|
Probably Planetary Orbit & Climate
- However, they may be inhabited by unconventional or exotic lifeforms.
|TC||Inner (-)||HZ-2||HZ-1||HZ||HZ+1||HZ+2||Outer (+)||Remote & Far Systems||Remarks|
|He||Unlikely||Likely||Likely||Possible||Likely||Likely||Unlikely||Hell Worlds are barely hospitable or inhospitable to an extreme.|
While hell worlds are extremely unattractive for colonization efforts, in the absence of more attractive and reachable worlds, many sophont species elect to colonize hell worlds. Many of these worlds have later turned out to be sources of rare and valuable organics, metals, and radioactives resources.
Possible Hellworld Characteristics
While many hellworlds are located outside of the habitable zone (Hz), some are located within the Hz or "Goldilocks Zone" and may be hellworlds for some of the following reasons:
- Too cold
- Too hot
- Lacks liquid water
- Contains chemicals incompatible with conventional life (insidious environments, often fluid worlds)
- Contains an overabundance of corrosives
- Has an atmosphere unsuited to conventional lifeforms
- Lacks an atmosphere (Vacuum worlds)
- Is racked with extreme, violent weather (Storm worlds)
- Is inundated with radiation (Rad worlds)
- Contains extremely hostile and dangerous lifeforms or native biochemistries
- Or for other unspecified reasons