- A vehicle (...from Latin: vehiculum) is a machine or device that transports passengers or cargo.
- In essence, they are tools constructed using other tools, of varying complexity and sophistication.
Vehicles are a technological item that allows movement of Sophont or Goods from one place to another. Some Vehicles may provide a sealed environment with or without life-support, others may require the occupants and/or crew to provide their own life-support and environmental protection as required.
Transportation is developed separately for three key separate environments:
- Aerospace - Aerospace Vessels
- Land - Land Vehicles
- Water/Liquid - Watercraft
- [a]: Starships are a separate category in this wiki, with its own subdivisions
Some vehicles are able to operate across categories: Multi-Environment Vehicles
Additionally, some methods of transport exist that defy the above classifications: Exotic Craft
Transportation by class of User
Vehicles may be used by Civil, Paramilitary or Military users. Some vehicles will be specific to roles within one of these realms, but often there is cross-over between realms.
n.b. Equivalent divisions exist for Starships
Vehicle Types by Role
- Personal Vehicle (Low Volume Sophont Transport)
- Consumer Vehicle (Medium Volume Sophont Transport)
- Mass Transit Vehicle (High Volume [Public] Sophont Transport)
- Industrial Vehicle (Vehicles for undertaking Industrial processes, e.g. Mining)
- Commercial Vehicle (Vehicles for Transport of Goods)
- Combat Vehicle
- Combat Support Vehicle