Serpent class Scout/Courier
|Serpent class Scout/Courier|
The Serpent-class is a prominent STOL starship.
|Type: SX Scout/Courier|
|Architect||Donald P. Rapp, Paranoia Press 1981|
|Canon||Yes. Published, canon starship design.|
|EOS||Still in active service.|
|Manufacturer||Delta Research Yards|
|Passengers||3 High/Med 0 Low|
|Reference||"Serpent class Scout Ships." Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society 02 8-9.|
|Starships are designed with the Classic Traveller format, using High Guard.|
The Serpent class Scout/Courier is an exploratory starship.
The Serpent class Scout/Courier is a small starship produced by Delta Research, a Corporation based in Beyond Sector. The ship has an aerodynamic hull and may perform high speed glides in thin, standard and dense atmospheres.
- A Serpent class Scout/Courier landed on the surface of a planet.
General Description & Deck Plans
- A Deck Plan schematic for a Serpent class Scout/Courier.
Basic Ship Characteristics
Following the Imperial Navy and IISS Universal Ship Profile and data, additional information is presented in the format shown here. The small craft factor indicates the number of squadrons (...of ten subcraft) carried on the ship. Tonnage on the universal ship profile is shown in kilotons (...thousands of tons) where necessary. 
|Basic Ship Characteristics |
|1.||Tonnage / Hull||The Serpent class is constructed using a 100 Ton hull built in a generally Conical configuration. The hull is fully streamlined and has a vee-tail and variable-sweep wings, giving excellent atmospheric performance that is further enhanced by its onboard gravitic systems.|
|2.||Crew|| x1 Crew.
|3.||Performance|| The vessel mounts a Mannschenn Type R2-53 Jump-2 drive, twin Delta Research TS 1410/V Maneuver-2 drives, and a Quadri-Dynamics J-4700/Mk III Fusion Power Plant-2, giving performance of Jump-2 and 2-G acceleration. The ship has an Agility rating of 2. The internal fuel tankage is sufficient for one Jump-2 and one consecutive Jump-1 and gives the power plant 20 weeks duration.
|4.||Electronics||Adjacent to the bridge is a LHeP(Or) Series 12/136 Model/2bis computer: no backup computer is installed.|
|5.||Hardpoints|| x1 dorsal hardpoint.
|6.||Armament||The normal weapons fit-out for a Serpent class is:|
|7.||Defenses|| The hull is unarmored.
|9.||Fuel Treatment||The vessel has internal fuel tankage of 40.0 Tons.|
|10.||Cost|| The basic cost of the vessel is MCr34.280
|11.||Construction Time|| 40 weeks (9 months) as standard.
|12.||Comments|| Standard cargo capacity amounts to 3.0 Tons.
Collapsible Fuel Tank
The first vessel in the class was laid down in 1090. Over seven hundred Delta Research Scout/Couriers are currently in active service with both the Comsentient Alliance Scout/Exploration Service and the Imperial Interstellar Scout Service, particularly in those Sectors lying "Behind the Claw."
Class Naming Practice/s & Peculiarities
Delta Research produce a civilian version of the Serpent. The sensor array is downgraded (to "standard", or paramilitary grade equipment) and the vessel is supplied unarmed, but the staterooms, fittings and finish are of superior quality. It is also slightly cheaper, costing MCr33.280.
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Type S class Scout/Courier
- Type SX class Scout/Courier
|This article has Metadata|
- Loren Wiseman. "Serpent class Scout Ships." Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society 02 (1979): 8-9.
- Marc Miller, Frank Chadwick, John Harshman. High Guard (Game Designers Workshop, 1980), 20-37. (Design Sequence Used)
- Donald P. Rapp. Scouts & Assassins (Paranoia Press, 1981), 18-19,insert.
- Gareth Hanrahan, Dom Mooney. High Guard (Mongoose Publishing, 2008), 114-115.
- EXTERNAL LINK: ACE DOG MT Serpent stats
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science