A N-class Medical Vessel are specialized craft devoted to the practice of medicine and the biological sciences.
- The Supraclass designation is also known as Ship Mission, Ship Mission Code, Mission, or Ship Hull Designation.
- It is a starship supraclass.
- 1 Library Data Referral Tree
- 2 Description (Specifications)
- 3 History & Background (Dossier)
- 4 References & Contributors (Sources)
Library Data Referral Tree
- Starship User Types
- Advanced Ship Classifications
- Basic Ship Classifications
- Ships by Function
- Speed of Travel
Medical Craft cover a variety of medical and biological sciences missions including hospitalization, ambulancery, first aid, plague hunting, SAR (Search and Rescue) AKA Essandar, and others... in every size class from ACS to the largest FCS hospital ships. They are few, but vital with their specialized medical missions. Many are civilian vessels, but a dedicated few serve as military auxiliaries in the combat support ship grouping.
This image repository contains a selection of communications vessel images:
- No exemplar image yet available.
- A Blakeway class First Response Vessel underway to rescue the crew of a distressed Beowulf class Free Trader...
- A side view schematic of a Deliverance class Lifeboat.
- A small, sleek Marrel Veckor class Lifeboat, popular with the Distant Fringe.
- The Camel class Medical Launch is a first responder smallcraft. This is a simple deck plan for the vessel.
- An Olyora class Medevac Pinnace in orbit preparing to render first aid to wounded planetary combatants.
Strategy & Tactics (Doctrine)
Medical vessels are non-combatants and are not intended to engage in combat. Few carry significant offensive or defensive equipment suites. Their only viable tactic when facing hostiles is to run or hope that their escorts will face down the aggression.
Medical Vessels typically serve the following roles:
- Clinical Vessel (NH)
- Emergency Response Vessel (NR)
- First Response Vessel (NR)
- Hospital Ship (NH)
- Medical Craft (UN) (Namesake)
- Medical Frigate (NH)
- Medical/SAR Craft (NR)
- Medical Scout (NR)
- Medical Ship (N) (Namesake)
- Medical Vessel (N)
- Plague Hunter Vessel (NR)
- Rescue Ship (NR)
- Medevac Pinnace (UNR)
- Medical Launch (UN)
- Medical Shuttle (UN)
- Medical Smallcraft (UN) (Namesake)
- Rescue Smallcraft (UNR)
- Search & Rescue Craft (UNR)
- Starbourne Ambulance (UNR)
Size-Class Roles for Expedition Vessels
- Medical Smallcraft (UN) (1 to 99 tons)
- Very Light Medical Ship (NVL) (100 to 2,499 tons)
- Light Medical Ship (NL) (2,500 to 99,999 tons)
- Medium Medical Ship (NM) (100,000 to 249,999 tons)
- Heavy Medical Ship (NE) (250,000 to 499,999 tons)
- Superheavy Medical Ship (NS) (500,000 to 999,999 tons)
- Ultraheavy Medical Ship (NU) (1,000,000 or more tons)
Supraclass Archetypal Roles
These vessels typically serve the following archetypal roles:
|N-class Medical Craft Supraclass Archetypes|
|Medical Vessel||N (Namesake)||Kurgilash class Medical Scout|| The namesake medical vessel class covers all sorts of vessels from the smallest 100-tonners to truly massive hospital ships that may weight hundreds of thousands of tons in displacement. Yet, despite size disparities, all vessels in this supraclass tend to the medical needs of sophonts and their societies and civilizations. These vessels bring healers, doctors, and menders to prevent or assuage hurt, damage, plague, and disease. 
|Hospital Ship||NH||Relief class Hospital Ship|| Hospital Ships are portable medical facilities, often providing beds, surgical sweets, medical laboratories, and all sorts of the services that doctors, healers, and menders provide. The largest ones provide a full spectrum of healing services while the smaller ones might provide many less services in scope. 
|Rescue Ship||NR||Blakeway class First Response Vessel||Rescue Ships provide less service than a portable, spacefaring medical facility. They are often a beginning step in a sequence of medical care, transferring the wounded to a larger hospital ship or fixed hospital facility. Some act a plague hunters, finding and quarantining systems until more capable laboratory vessels can catch uo and treat pandemics. And yet others perform a variety of medical functions. |
|Life Boat / Escape Pod||UE||SK-3 class Lifeboat||It is one of the smallest spaceships in common use. They typically displace 20 tons or less. Although its primary function is to serve as a life craft in the event that evacuation is required, it can also be used to transport passengers. While many launches perform a utility role as well as life boat and/or escape pod duties, most Type-UE-class smallcraft are specialized to only perform escape pod and/or life boat duties. Any utility capabilities are an afterthought.|
|Medical Craft||UN||Camel class Medical Launch|| Medical smallcraft serve as utility crafts for medical ships. They haul patients back and forth, perform first aid, rescue, and a variety of other life-saving roles and missions. Some are specialized to track down pervasive alien pathogens or hunt down and destroy plagues. At any rate, they serve medical largecraft or provide some measure of medical capability for non-medical largecraft.
|NOTES: There is semantic overlap between many of the classes and codes. Some codes organize by mission or capability, others by size and tonnage, and yet others by other characteristics.|
Medicine is no differ in the TL:13-15 tech epoch than it was thousands of years ago in a simpler, pre-interstellar era of TL:7-9. As the first FTL drive technology is developed by sophont societies in the TL:7-9 tech epoch, the place of medicine in society grows no less important. Space, the vacuum or void, is immensely hostile to most forms of conventional life, and the need to have biological knowledge to mitigate these dangers is just as acute. 
And just as plagues and pervasive diseases often ravage TL:1-3 societies, the interstellar societies of TL:10-12 and TL:13-15 face their own dangers, specific to a world of everyday, mainstream interstellar travel, sophonce, and multiple sophont species interacting. The need for quarantine, vetting procedures, and starfaring vessels able to provide medical services remain an important part of Charted Space. 
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Type NR class Medical Vessel
- Type UE class Life Boat
- Type UN class Medical Smallcraft
Ship Summary List
Some of the most commonly used vessels in this role or these roles include:
|5 Representative Medical Vessel (N) Classes|
|2 Representative Hospital Ship (NH) Classes|
|3 Representative Rescue Ship (NR) Classes|
|9 Representative Lifeboat / Escape Pod (UE) Classes|
|4 Representative Medical Smallcraft (UN) Classes|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Adventure Class Ships Volume 1
- Adventure Class Ships Volume 4
- GURPS Traveller Deck Plans Download
- Traveller the Best of JTAS Volume 1 in Article: ERV – LIFE IN THE SPACE LANES by Kurt Brown
- T5 Core Rules
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science