Combat Support Ship
- They serve as combat multipliers enhancing the primary line combatants of battleships and cruisers and the secondary line of various escorts.
- Many call them auxiliaries or tertiary combatants. Despite the moniker "tertiary combatant," they are not meant to participate in any form of open combat, but only in self defense actions as their primary role is to support secondary and primary naval combatants.
- Almost any civilian hull can be redesignated as a Q-class if meant for dedicated military service as an auxiliary.
- Specific military transports meant to assault enemy planets, moons, and other installations under fire are designated I-class Combat Transports.
- The Supraclass designation is also known as Ship Mission, Ship Mission Code, Mission, or Ship Hull Designation.
- It is a starship supraclass.
- 1 Library Data Referral Tree
- 2 Description (Specifications)
- 3 History & Background (Dossier)
- 4 References & Contributors (Sources)
Library Data Referral Tree
- Starship User Types
- Advanced Ship Classifications
- Basic Ship Classifications
- Ships by Function
- Speed of Travel
- Capital Ships acting in a combat support role to warships.
- Smallcraft of various types that primarily perform utility functions as Utility Craft.
- A whole variety of other auxiliaries function in a combat support role as force multipliers.
No information yet available.
Strategy & Tactics (Doctrine)
These craft have a wide variety of uses from cargo, fuel and passenger transport; policing; customs enforcement; to search and rescue operations and support.
- This class of vessel includes a variety of smallcraft including militarized pinnaces, shuttles, cutters, ship's boats, and all other non-jump capable spacecraft of less than 100 tons. The exception to this are system defense boats whose role is system defense. Often the names are used interchangeable, but they are often classified by role and size.
- These craft are tertiary combatants at best and are not intended to operate near the battlefront for any length of time. They are armed for self defense at best, and typically must evade line combatants to survive. Their mission tasking is to support and enhance the missions of primary and secondary combatants.
- Assault Tanker (QF)
- Auxiliary Merchant (QC)
- Bulk Ordnance Carrier (QT)
- Cargo Transport (QC)
- Combat Support Ship (Q) (Namesake)
- Degaussing Vessel (QZ)
- Electronic Warfare Ship (QZ)
- Fleet Auxiliary (Q)
- Fleet Logistics Ship (QR)
- Fleet Repair Vessel (QV)
- Fleet Replenishment Ship (QR)
- Fleet Replenishment Vessel (QR)
- Fleet Support Vessel (QR)
- Fleet Tanker (QF)
- Fleet Tender (QR)
- Fuel Tanker (QF)
- Light Transport (QT)
- Logistics Transport (QR)
- Logistics Vessel (QR)
- Military Cargo Carrier (QC)
- Military Replenishment Vessel (QR)
- Military Ship Repair Vessel (QV)
- Military Special Mission Ship (QZ)
- Military Specialty Ship (QZ)
- Military Tanker (QF)
- Military Transport (QT)
- Modular Light Fleet Auxiliary (Q)
- Ordnance Carrier (QR)
- Ordnance Vessel (QR)
- Passenger Transport (QC)
- Repair Ship (QS)
- Repair/Salvage Ship (QV)
- Replenishment Ship (QR)
- Replenishment Vessel (QR)
- Resupply Vessel (QR)
- Resupply/Replenishment Vessel (QR)
- Rift Tanker (QF)
- Military Specialty Ship (QZ)
- Salvage Ship (QV)
- Store Ship (QR)
- Stores Ship (QR)
- Supply Ship (QR)
- Tanker (QF)
- Tanker/Replenishment Ship (QF)
- Transport Tanker (QT)
- Armed Gig (UQG)
- Combat Support Smallcraft (UQ)
- Cutter (UQC)
- Fuel Shuttle (UQF)
- Gig (UQG)
- Lifeboat (UE)
- Lighter (UQ)
- Militarized Smallcraft (UQ)
- Militarized Utility Craft (UQ) (Namesake)
- Military Boat (UQ)
- Pathfinder (UQ)
- Patrol Cutter (UQC)
- Pinnace (UQP)
- Refueling Lighter (UQ)
- Runabout (UQC)
- Shuttle (UQS)
- Utility Craft (U)
Size-Class Roles for Combat Support Ship Vessels
- Combat Support Smallcraft (UQ) (1 to 99 tons)
- Military Cargo Carrier (QC) (100 to 2,499 tons)
- Light Combat Support Ship (QL) (2,500 to 99,999 tons)
- Medium Combat Support Ship (QM) (100,000 to 249,999 tons)
- Heavy Combat Support Ship (QH) (250,000 to 499,999 tons)
- Superheavy Combat Support Ship (QS) (500,000 to 999,999 tons)
- Ultraheavy Combat Support Ship (QU)(1,000,000 or more tons)
- Battle Rider (BR)
- Combat Barge (WBG)
- Combat Transport Smallcraft (UI)
- Fighters (F)
- Militarized Utility Craft (UQ)
Supraclass Archetypal Roles
These vessels typically serve the following archetypal roles:
|Q-class Combat Support Ship Supraclass Archetypes|
|Combat Support Ship||Q (Namesake)||Hummock class Replenishment Ship||Combat Support Ships are the auxiliaries of interstellar fleets, the vessels that make sure there are enough beans and bullets to keep a fleet supplied, fueled, and combat ready. They range from supply ships, fuelers, tankers, replenishers, and a variety of other tertiaries that keep the combatants going.
|Military Cargo Carrier||QC||AX-L class Modular Light Fleet Auxiliary||None|
|Military Tanker||QF||Dromedary class Tanker/Replenishment Ship||None|
|Heavy Combat Support Ship||QH||Iadiadlsiz class Fleet Tanker||None
|Light Combat Support Ship||QL||Entremis class Military Transport||None
|Medium Combat Support Ship||QM||Champa class Fleet Replenishment Ship||None
|Military Replenishment Vessel||QR||Workhorse class Ordinance Carrier||None|
|Superheavy Combat Support Ship||QS||Giant class Tanker||None
|Military Transport||QT||Workhorse class Bulk Ordnance Carrier||None|
|Ultraheavy Combat Support Ship||QU||Monstrosity class Fleet Tanker||No information yet available.
|Ship Tender / Mobile Spaceyard||QV||Panther class Repair Vessel||Military Ship Repair Vessel TBD|
|Military Special Mission Ship||QZ||Donskoy Kasak class Degaussing Vessel||None|
|Militarized Utility Craft||UQ||Yaeai class Recon Pinnace||Noncombatant militarized smallcraft are relatively rare, but often perform important combat support functions such as communication relay points, sensory reconnaissance, logistics management, and a number of other important roles.|
|NOTES: There is semantic overlap between many of the classes and codes. Some codes organize by mission or capability, others by size and tonnage, and yet others by other characteristics.|
A timeless military strategem has been the concept of fighting forces as dragons, mythical monsters with very dangerous, fighting front end conceptualized as teeth and a support, logistics end conceptualized as a tail. The ratio of fighting forces to support forces is called the teeth-tail ratio. Many elite forces maximize the ratio, famously forcing cooks and clerks to employ the weapons of war when pressed for manpower.
However, most fighting forces are not elite and are optimized at the other end of the teeth-tail spectrum with many logistics and support forces for every front line combatant. For every first line naval capital ship, a very wide variety of secondary and tertiary combatants exist including I-class Combat Transports and Q-class Combat Support Ships, which include repair vessels, replenishment ships, recovery ships, intelligence vessels, scouts, couriers, assault transports, and all nature of other vessels that function as the "tail" to the spinal mount-carrying "teeth" of ship-killing capitals...
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Type UE class Life Boat
- Type UF class Fuel Shuttle
- Type UQ class Militarized Utility Craft
Ship Summary List
Some of the most commonly used vessels in this role include:
|44 Representative Combat Support Ship (Q) Classes|
|7 Representative Military Cargo Carrier (QC) Classes|
|11 Representative Military Tanker (QF) Classes|
|2 Representative Heavy Combat Support Ship (QH) Classes|
|2 Representative Light Combat Support Ship (QL) Classes|
|1 Representative Medium Combat Support Ship (QM) Classes|
|11 Representative Military Replenishment Vessel (QR) Classes|
|4 Representative Superheavy Combat Support Ship (QS) Classes|
|2 Representative Military Transport (QT) Classes|
|1 Representative Ultraheavy Combat Support Ship (QU) Classes|
|1 Representative Ship Tender / Mobile Spaceyard (QV) Classes|
|2 Representative Military Special Mission Ship (QZ) Classes|
|9 Representative Lifeboat / Escape Pod (UE) Classes|
|6 Representative Fuel Shuttle (UF) Classes|
|2 Representative Combat Support Smallcraft (UQ) Classes|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- This article is an amalgamation of many different materials published since 1977.
- Fighting Ships of the Shattered Imperium
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science