- Charted Space encompasses at least 128 sectors and more than 80,000 worlds. Both words are capitalized.
- It also sometimes called Chartered Space.
Please see the following AAB articles for related information:
- Travelling in Charted Space
- Applied Astrography
- Exotic Astrography
- Physical Astrography
- Social Astrography
Humaniti & The Stars
There are groups of humans living on far-distant worlds at the edge of Charted Space. But they did not originate there; they were transported from Terra long ago for reasons unknown by a group or species known now as the Ancients. It is unconfirmed whether human races live beyond the borders of Charted Space.
Intelligent Life & Charted Space
Non-sentient life has been found beyond the little bubble of well-traveled space inhabited by the various major and minor races, but as far as explorers have traveled in any direction they have not found a sentient species that did not originate in Charted Space. The reason for this island of life among a billion barren worlds is unknown. Of course, scientists concede that there may be sentient life out there, beyond the explored regions, who have not yet been contacted. There are certainly many kinds of strange and exotic lifeforms out there, whether they are intelligent or not is the real question
Weltanschauung of Charted Space
- Charted Space
- Imperial Space (Third Imperium)
- Imperial Fringe (Frontier of the Third Imperium)
- Major Race Space (Supra-polities other than the Third Imperium)
- Aslan Space (Supra-polity)
- Droyne Space (Subsumed into several super-polities)
- Hiver Space (Supra-polity)
- Humaniti Space (Spread out among several super-polities)
- K'kree Space (Supra-polity)
- Vargr Space (Balkanized Supra-polity)
- Minor Race Space
- Imperial Space (Third Imperium)
- Uncharted Space
- Wildspace (Black Zone)
Of course, the real world never breaks down so neatly as the layers of a terran layered cake or traditional layered akumidean vilnafku. In reality, balkanized World-States often exist alongside independent Pocket Empires while intermixed with the polities of the major powers, often as the results of postwar treaties.
History & Background (Dossier)
Charted Space is a region, hundreds of parsecs across, that comprises the parts of the galaxy that are inhabited by sophonts and charted by astrographers.
Largest Polities Data Chart
However, even with the immensity of Charted Space, it is but a mere droplet in the vast ocean of stars that is the galaxy.
Largest Polities in Charted Space Based On Population (Populations Over 500 billion) Empire
Highest Remarks Third Imperium 8,988 18,009 H An extremely diverse population of 17,989,466 to 19,009,000 (millions) sophonts (around 18 trillion inhabitants). Hive Federation 4,464 11,817 J No information yet available. Zhodani Consulate 5,850 9,491 G This includes corewared provinces outside the Sector Matrix Aslan Hierate 4,628 7,081 G No information yet available. Solomani Confederation 1,876 2,956 H No information yet available. Two Thousand Worlds 1,077 2,392 F No information yet available. Julian Protectorate 1,097 1,645 F A supra-polity largely dominated by a partnership of humans and vargr located within the Vargr Extents. This number includes all member worlds combined. Third Empire of Gashikan 652 962 C This polity is believed to be the largest human-dominated state not ruled by a major human race. Empire of Varroerth 855 936 G This polity is the largest Vargr-dominated state within the Vargr Extents. Kidunal Abeyance 155 634 C (non-canon): No information yet available.
- Chart created by Nathan Brazil.
Sector Matrix: 1105
The below astrographic charts represent the known bounds of Charted Space.
- 128 of the sectors represent the core areas (black map)
- 88 of the sectors are represented by a 2-letter code (not on blackmap)
- = (216 sectors) = (18 x 12 sectors)
For a map of subsector allegiances, please see Subsector Map.
References & Contributors (Sources)
- TNE The New Era 1248 Sourcebook 1: Out Of The Darkness
- Novel: Traveller 5th Edition Agent of the Imperium
- Author & Contributor: Nathan Brazil
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science