Project Longbow is an Imperial mega-scale sensor array designed to detect starships at intragalactic ranges.
Longbow was created to observe the Zhodani Core Expeditions, and, after many decades of data accumulation and calibration was actually able to measure the Zhodani shipping activity along the core axis. Because sensor signatures propagate at the speed of light, the observations were not in real time. Rather, the deeper into the core the sensors “looked,” the older the signatures.
- The Longbow collector plane was located in the Depot (Lishun 1219) system AKA Dynam (world) as part of a sprawling Imperial Navy facility there, aiding in its concealment. The collector plane is a disk of billions of linked receiver elements 42,000,000 kilometers in diameter. This collector yielded a resolution at 1,500 parsecs of 10 meters in long-wavelength infrared and half of a meter in visible light, (meaning that objects larger than 50 centimeters could be distinguished and two objects larger than 50 centimeters apart could be distinguished as two objects).
- According to the Imperial Navy public relations office, the collector was dismantled when the project was shut down.
- Persistent rumors of a second Longbow project continue to circulate.
Acronym for “Long Baseline Observation Window,” the name for a system created in the 800’s for observation of the galactic core and the Zhodani axis of exploration toward the core.
- The largest known application of aperture synthesis ever constructed, Project Longbow was created in deep Imperial secret throughout its existence, but has now been declassified.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
This Project is primarily located in the following areas:
This scientific project is associated with the following worlds and systems:
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article has a secret.|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- GURPS Traveller
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science