|Capital Ship Combatants||Escort Combatants||Military Smallcraft||Support Ships|
|Battleship||Cruiser||Carrier||Destroyer||Escort||Frigate||System Defense Boat||Fighter||Assault Transport||Smallcraft||Auxiliaries|
|Commercial Mercantile Ships||Non-Mercantile Commercial Ships||Non-Commercial Ships||Civilian Smallcraft||Highports & Satellites|
|Merchant||Liner||Transport||Commercial Industrial||Commercial Ships||General||Research||Private||Auxiliary|| Orbital
A starship is a spacecraft equipped with a jump drive, essentially allowing it to travel at (roughly) 150 times the speed of light (or faster). Please note that very early (STL) spacecraft did not employ FTL drives. Due to the greatly enhanced travel speed of the jump drive, sophont species with the technology will use it.
Please refer to the following AAB library data for more information:
- Starship User Types
- Major Race / Suprapolity Ships
- Aslan / Aslan Hierate
- Droyne / Droyne Oytrip Yatroy
- Hivers / Hive Federation
- K'kree / Two Thousand Worlds
- Solomani / Solomani Confederation
- Third Imperium / Imperials
- Vilani / [[Ziru Sirka]
- Vargr / Vargr Extents
- Zhodani / Zhodani Consulate
- Speed of Travel
- Jump Drive
Starships are designed to carry people from one star system to another, for the purposes of exploration, survey, trade, patrol, raiding, tracking, information gathering, conquest... in a word, adventure. Typically, starships have a large percentage of their volume dedicated to fuel, because the jump drive requires a huge investment in energy to transition to jumpspace. This limits the available space for other uses, severely in the case of ships able to jump long distances, or rejump repeatedly (which is a lifesaver if you can afford the space). Some ships greatly enhance capacity without sacrificing safety by mounting external tanks to the ship known as droptanks.
- Civilian Ships: Civilian starships conduct trade, tourism, and a variety of non-violent ends. They tend to be under private ownership and rarely carry more than light armament for self defense purposes.
- Paramilitary Ships: Paramilitary starships are a step in-between civilian and military starships. They patrol the system as police, inspectors, and in a variety instiutional roles. They may carry armament, but usually much less than a comparable military platform.
- Military Ships: Military starships are starships designed to defend a state against aggressors. This typically means that their design requirements are based on performance and survivability under attack. Military starships intended for combat are typically called warships.
Maneuver / Relativistic Drives
Please see the article Jump Drive for more information.
What avionics are to aircraft, astronics are to starships.
History & Background (Dossier)
No information yet available.
Interstellar Travel Motives
The first interstellar ships, while crude in light of more modern FTL jump drives, nevertheless have revolutionized every sophont society that developed them. Two motivations tend to drive the push for interstellar travel:
- 1. Colonization (population pressure)
- 2. Curiosity (exploration)
Some sophont species tend to also be driven by a fear of the unknown, a third common motivator. And yet others possess a religious, ideological fervor to bring their ideas and philosophies to the rest of Interstellar space, a fourth common motivator.
- 3. Fear (paranoia)
- 4. Belief (proselytism)
Starship Representative Sampling
References & Contributors (Sources)
- Classic Traveller Library Data (N-Z)
- Periodical: Challenge 72 in article: "Sublight Drives" by: Dave Nilsen & Frank Chadwick
- Traveller5 Core Rules
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science