A Sector is a astrophysical co-ordinate system applied to Charted Space.
Mapping unit in astrography equal to sixteen subsectors.
- Typical density 350 to 650 worlds per sector.
Sectors are named, and several synonyms are in common use, including:
- march (or marches),
- reach (or reaches),
- quadrant, and
e.g. The Spinward Marches, for example, is a sector.
While not enforced, the IISS has been using a system of quadrants (four subsectors each) to further subdivide astrographic sectors. Terran Greek lettering are used to mark these quadrants: Alpha, Beta, Delta, and Gamma.
This terminology was developed after many of the core sectors of the Third Imperium were already established and in these areas, it is far more common to hear subsectors referred to by their associated duchy.
History & Background (Dossier)
The mighty Ziru Sirka originated the sector astrography system. As a giant interstellar empire considerably more advanced than its neighbors, it conquered much of Charted Space. What the Romans are to Terran history is what the ancient Vilani are to the history of Charted Space.
They came, saw, and conquered. And their subjective partitions of space became the standards for astrography. When non-Vilani traders adopted the system, it truly became cemented as the most widely adopted system of interstellar astrography used within Charted Space.
Not all interstellar polities use the Vilani sector system... internally, but they all provide traders with sector compatible star charts to facilitate trade. Even some of the newest races to Charted Space have quickly adopted the system. Profit is a powerful motivator. Even the Terrans who conquered the Ziru Sirka were forced to adopt this Vilani astrographic adaptation.
Charted Space Overview
As a rough means of comparing size, the sector counts of the large interstellar states and areas of settlement are:
Sectors of the Major Races in Charted Space Polity (Government) Society (People) Sectors Remarks Third Imperium Imperial & Vilani 19 None Aslan Hierate Aslan 15 None Hive Federation Hiver 11 None Two Thousand Worlds K'kree 09 None Vargr Extents Vargr 09 None Zhodani Consulate Zhodani Humaniti 08 None Solomani Confederation Solomani Humaniti 05 None Droyne Oytrip Yatroy Droyne Interspersed None
- Several sectors are known by other names (by non-imperial races). Strangely enough they use the same co-ordinate system.
- The earliest known use of the term sector was among the Vilani, who used a slightly smaller 'parsec', compared to the current, Solomani-derived parsec.
- The library refers to all sectors with the word Sector, thus Riftspan Reaches, or Dark Nebula are known as Riftspan Reaches Sector or Dark Nebula Sector in Library Entries even though the former name is used in normal discussion.
Charted Space Table
The following key helps to explain the Charted Space Table:
- Red (Pink) Sectors are Mostly Imperial-Controlled
- Yellow Aslan
- Green Vargr
- Purple Hiver
- Orange Solomani
- Blue Zhodani
- Clear (Balkanized Space) [No major polity and/or dominant polity]
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Classic Traveller Beltstrike
- Classic Traveller The Traveller Book
- MegaTraveller Vilani & Vargr
- Marc Miller. Marc Miller's Traveller (Imperium Games, 1996), 186.
- External Link: Don McKinney's Sector Sources (Last updated in 2009)
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science