|Homeworld||Zhodane (Zhodane 2719)|
|Reference||Alien Module 4: Zhodani|
- The Zhodani Consulate rules a sphere approximately 70 parsecs in diameter immediately to corespinward of the Imperium, believed to include in excess of 80% of all racial Zhodani.
- Much of the remainder inhabits the Zhodani client states, although other sub-species of Humaniti are also to be found in the client states and the consulate.
- 1 Physiology & Environment (Ecology)
- 2 Psychology & Philosophy (Mindset)
- 3 History & Background (Dossier)
- 4 Culture & Society (Ethnology)
- 5 Government & Politics (Leadership)
- 6 Language & Letters (Communication)
- 7 Calendar & Timekeeping (Chronology)
- 8 Technology & Trade (Economy)
- 9 Military & Intelligence (Force Projection)
- 10 Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
- 11 References & Contributors (Sources)
Physiology & Environment (Ecology)
The Zhodani are a discrete, though interfertile, sub-species of Humaniti, independently descended from human stock transplanted by the Ancients. In general, they tend to be taller than Solomani or Vilani, and lithe of build. Averaging 2.0 meters in height and massing upwards of 90 kilograms, they tend to be swarthy in complexion and dark-haired.
Zhodani have a strong tendency to be significantly taller than the average Terran and often have swarthy, olive-brown complexions, with dark eyes and hair. Some have noted that platinum-haired Zhodani seem to have an unnaturally high prevalence.
- The Zhodani gene pool is much less variegated than that of Terrans although thanks to the size of the Zhodani Consulate, and the intermixing of human gene pools, considerable variation exists in physical appearance.
Psychology & Philosophy (Mindset)
Zhodani Religion & Philosophy: The Zhodani Consulate promotes a quasi-religious philosophy called Morality's Path, in which adherents (...virtually the entire Zhodani population within the Consulate) strive to pass through various life cycles and eventually unite with the universal energy field by leading virtuous lives.
Religion and Philosophy
The Zhodani Consulate promotes a quasi-religious philosophy called Morality's Path, in which adherents (virtually the entire Zhodani population within the Consulate) strive to pass through various life cycles and eventually unite with the universal energy field by leading virtuous lives. Zhodani are prohibited from subscribing to other faiths.
According to Morality's Path, the "good" of a personality is recycled into new living beings for fulfiling it's duties in life, while the "bad" of a personality is permanently lost.
Rights & Common Philosophies
With rare exceptions, Zhodani are extremely patriotic. Zhodani citizens possess a high degree of personal honesty. Indeed, the Zhodani feel uncomfortable in most places outside the Consulate, where "liars and thieves are allowed to wander around loose."
Privacy of thought is highly respected among the Zhodani upper classes, although proles have no such right. Nobles have almost complete personal privacy rights, and intendants nearly as much.
Non-Zhodani Rights in Zhodani Society
Rights of foreign nationals vary with whatever treaty is in effect between the Consulate and the foreign power. The treaty with the Imperium is unclear in its protections. Most visitors have no protections for mental privacy, but diplomatic personnel and some selected commercial representatives are provided visas which allow psionic shields to be worn.
The Zhodani have a general distaste for other human races that do not practice psionics. Effective indoctrination and the ever-present possibility that one's mind is being read have removed dishonesty and deviance as commonly seen. Disagreements still occur, competition thrives, passions flare - but all takes place in an atmosphere of honesty and truth. Individuals can express their feelings openly and problems are dealt with.
In non-psionic societies, much is kept secret within the mind. A Zhodani visiting the Imperium would be appalled by the deviousness and dishonesty that pervades society.
Imperial distaste for the Zhodani is based on two facts.
- First, the Zhodani practice psionics, and an Imperial cannot be sure at any time that a Zhodani is not invading his mental privacy. Imperials feel exposed and uncomfortable in the presence of Zhodani.
- Second, because of their psionic abilities, the Zhodani have the most effective authoritarian rule in history. Imperial citizens, used to a great degree of local autonomy, fear Zhodani conquest because of the loss of freedom it would entail.
History & Background (Dossier)
The Zhodani date their empire from the traditional date of the first organized use of psionics on Zhodane, -6731 Imperial, the year of the first olympiad. They achieved jump drive about 1300 years later, in -5415 Imperial. The expansion of the Zhodani was gradual and uneventful. Although some states on the fringe resisted absorption into the Consulate, most were annexed peacefully.
The First Frontier War
The Zhodani first came into conflict with the expanding Third Imperium in the 6th century of the present era. The First Frontier War (589 - 604) marked the beginning of open hostilities, involving all eight coreward subsectors, and lasting for fifteen years.
The Second & Third Frontier Wars
Subsequent wars (the Second Frontier War in 615-620 and the Third Frontier War in 979-986) saw tremendous Zhodani incursions into the Spinward Marches. Mishandling of the Third Frontier War caused the abdication of Emperor Styryx in 98.
The Fourth Frontier War
The Fourth Frontier War was little more than a skirmish, compared to earlier conflicts. Neither side was prepared for the war, and an armistice was quickly worked out.
The Fifth Frontier War
Latest in the series of Frontier Wars between the Zhodani and the Imperium. Following several years of unrest and provocation, Zhodani forces attacked across the Imperial borders while previously placed guerrillas on selected Imperial worlds began uprisings. Vargr and Sword World forces allied with the Zhodani also participated in the attacks.
The armistice, signed in 1110, resulted in the loss of no worlds to the hostiles and returned to the status quo.
See Fifth Frontier War for more information.
Culture & Society (Ethnology)
The Zhodani give the name Driantia Zhdantia to their interstellar community. The name is commonly translated in Anglic as Zhodani Consulate. The consulate consists of about 6,500 systems spread through more than 175 subsectors. It is located spinward and coreward of the Imperium.
Smaller differences include the greater homogeneity of the Zhodani genotype, while Imperial Humans have a wide variety of genotypical appearances, Zhodani are nearly uniformly of swarthy complexion, dark-hair, and of significantly greater height than Solomani, Vilani, or most other Humans. Zhodani nobles often wear a turban-like headdress which serves to accentuate their height.
Nobles and Intendants have a single name, chosen on the individual's 5th Olympiad.
Intendants' names end in the suffix:
- (-iepr). (Social Status Level A-10 Knight / Dame Equivalent)
Nobles have several suffixes, depending on rank:
- (-atl) corresponds to social level B (11). (Social Status Level B-11 Baronet Equivalent)
- (-stebr) to C (12). (Social Status Level C-12 Baron / Baroness Equivalent)
- (-tlas) to D (13). (Social Status Level D-13 Marquis / Marquesa Equivalent)
- (-tlasche') to E (14). (Social Status Level E-14 Viscount / Viscountess Equivalent)
There are several suffixes for F (15) and over, but most likely encountered name suffixes in the Imperium will be:
- (-iashav) for F (15) or higher. (Social Status Level F-15 Count / Countess Equivalent)
Proles have two names, a family name and a personal name. The personal name comes first. Family names are numerous, most originating from place names (town, estate, or planet) or occupations (miller, baker, radioman), although the significance has been largely lost.
Common prole suffixes are:
- (-qaf) "from", as in Dliant Jdiprzhdilqaf, or Dliant from Jdiprzhdil, a large estate on Zhodane.
- (-nad) "-er", as in Tliaqrnad, or miller, from Tliaqre', "to grind grain".
Other name examples include:
- Qenzh Chtilnats
- Shtelke' Dliatsevqaf
- Plevianeqr Stonjinad
One of the most endearing instiutions of Zhodani life are the Psionic Games, which are a continuing series of competitive (sport) games held by the Zhodani Consulate for excellence in psionic achievement. Competition is staged in nearly all fields of psionics, including telekinetic weight-lifting, distance and accuracy teleportation, and many other events.
Because the Zhodani system provides psionic training to all nobles and to the intendant class, the psionic games are a popular device for the masses to see the powers of their rulers in action.
See Psionic Games for more information.
The Zhodani Society is, first and foremost, a Psionic Society. The use of Psionics informs nearly every aspect of life in the Zhodani Consulate. Life revolves around psionics among the Zhodani.
Zhodani society is divided into three hereditary groups:
- 1. Nobles are the enfranchised ruling class. They perform all high governmental functions, and receive extensive psionic training from childhood.
- 2. Intendants are the managers and administrators of society. They comprise most business executives, military officers below the ranks of admiral or general, and fill most non-elective governmental positions. Intendants are rewarded for great diligence, service to the state, or victory in the Psionic Games through the granting of noble titles.
- 3. Proles (or proletarians) constitute the masses, are forbidden the use of psionics, and do not receive training. Proles include all members of the military below officer grade, most merchants and scouts, supervisory and junior management personnel, technicians, craftsmen, and laborers.
Zhodani society is generally a happy one. Individuals are members of a functioning whole, with each making a contribution to its success. The relative lack of upward mobility for the proles is offset by the possibility for their children to move upwards if they have the proper potential. The burden of responsibility imposed on the intendants is lightened by the ever-present possibility of reward through elevation to the noble classes. The nobles themselves temper their burden of authority with comfort derived from their station in life.
The presence of psionics in the hands of those in power means that many aspects of society work at a highly efficient level, especially in comparison with the Third Imperium. Psionics benefit Zhodani society in may ways, including the following:
- Psychology, behavioral science, communications science, and education are more refined and exact than in other societies.
- Educational methods are finely tuned, and capable of teaching concepts rapidly and accurately.
- Mental deviance or criminal tendencies can be detected early and corrected easily.
There is no upward mobility for proles unless psionic powers are detected in them as children, in which case they will be inducted into the intendant class.
- Intendants who perform well in their positions can be elevated into the ranks of the nobility.
- In this way, proles can have some hopes for an improved lot for their children; Intendants are encouraged to strive hard, and there is a constant infusion of new blood into the nobility.
- Extensive psionic ability among the ruling classes permits the Zhodani government to weed out subversives early in life, and re-educate them as useful members of society.
Government & Politics (Leadership)
The Zhodani Consulate is characterized as having a high degree of centralization, which sets uniform policies that direct the entire multi-system state and disregards local/planetary differences. The Zhodani Consulate government is usually classified as a Democratic Republic, a form of a Unitary State. The Zhodani Consulate is also sometimes referred to as a Participatory Democracy in which only nobles are allowed to vote.
- Representatives, called Consuls, are elected to ruling councils for one olympiad, with those councils responsible for specific responsibilities within the government. Members of the councils are also given the authority to carry out their programs and orders.
- Please see Zhodani Consulate for more information.
Language & Letters (Communication)
Data recording knowledge of the Zhodani language has not yet been uploaded into this Library database.
- A comprehensive article updating knowledge of Zhodani linguistic forms is required.
- Please see Zdetl/meta for more information.
Calendar & Timekeeping (Chronology)
The Zhodani calendar measures the passage of time based upon their homeworld of Zhdant.
The basic units for the Zhodani calendar are:
- The Zhdanstial (day) is the time it takes for Zhdant to rotate once on its axis. It is equivalent to 1.12587 standard days or 27.02 standard hours.
- The Chten (year) is 244.44 Zhdanstial or 275.2 standard days in length.
Zhodani dating is in olympiads (tleqazdijdiet). Each olympiad is of three Zhodani years; years are 0.75 standard years in length (273 days). An olympiad is used to mark the period from one set of Psionic Games to the next. Zhodani dates are given in olympiads, which are further subdivided into year, season, and day. The first olympiad corresponds to 2209 BC. The dating system itself has been in more or less continuous since then, with minor lapses due to war or temporary decline of ruling parties.
Technology & Trade (Economy)
Most Zhodani worlds are TL 7 to 12 averaging TL 9 to 10.
Psionics even affects Zhodani technology. One example of a Zhodani technology affected by psionics is the Psionic Switch. A psionic switch is a mechanical switch buried behind a wall or equipment panel that is intended to be physicallly manipulated using telekinesis. By installing psionic switches in Zhodani starships, Zhodani engineers make it very diffiuclt for Imperial boarders to gain any sort of control over Zhodani control panels or other hardware.
Zhodani merchants and traders are well-known throughout Zhodani, Imperial space, and beyond.
Zhodani Megacorporations: 1116
Psionics & Sciences
Psionics benefit Zhodani society in may ways and the combinations of scionics with other fields has led to great advances that include the following areas (...and many more):
- Behavioral science, aided by clairvoyance.
- Communications science, aided by telepathy.
- Education sciences, aided by telepathy.
- Health sciences, aided by awareness.
- Physics, aided by telekinesis.
- Psychology, aided by clairvoyance.
- Transportation sciences, aided by teleportation.
The Zhodani use a Base-10 system of mathematics, including mathematical logic, arithmetic, statistics, particle mechanics, and other branches of mathematics.
The Zhodani possess an advanced knowledge of the sciences that includes:
- A formalized method of scientific inquiry.
- Zhdant (planetary) and Space sciences, including astronomy, cosmology, and geosciences.
- Social sciences, including psychology and scoiology.
- Life sciences, including biology and medicine.
- Physical sciences, including chemistry and physics.
- Formal sciences, including mathematics and logic.
- Psionics, including philosophy, theory, and application.
Military & Intelligence (Force Projection)
The Zhodani Military is formally known as the Zhodani Consulate Combined Interstellar Forces, and is one of the most potent militaries in known space.
- Please see Zhodani Consulate article for more information.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
Worlds with Zhodani populations.
World Listing: 1116
Zhodani humans reside on the following systems and worlds:
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article has two or more sources with conflicting information. Because the conflict has not been resolved, all sources are linked to this article.|
- Classic Traveller Adventure 6 Expedition to Zhodane
- Classic Traveller Alien Module 4: Zhodani
- Classic Traveller Supplement 11 Library Data (N-Z)
- Classic Traveller The Traveller Book
- Periodical: Classic Traveller Journal of the Travellers Aid Society No. 9
- MegaTraveller Referee's Companion
- Traveller: The New Era Main Rulebook (pg. 71)
- GURPS Traveller: Alien Races 1
- External Link: 
- Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science