(0 to Present): Third Imperium
- The Imperium is also called the Third Imperium.
- It was founded in 0 by Cleon Zhunastu from the Sylean Federation in what is now Core Sector.
- The Imperium grew swiftly during the pacification campaigns and more slowly thereafter until stability was reached in the 600’s, by which time the Imperium had absorbed much of the territory of the First and Second Imperiums.
- It is also known as the Ziru Sirkaa. Please note the Vilani double -aa ending to contrast it from the First Imperium, which was known as the Ziru Sirka with a single -a ending.
- Please see Emperors of the Third Imperium, Imperial Cultural Region, Imperial Moot and Imperial Nobility for related information:
- 1 Astronavigational Codes
- 2 Description (Specifications)
- 3 History & Background (Dossier)
- 4 Government & Politics (Leadership)
- 4.1 Overview: 1116
- 4.2 Interstellar Relations: 1116
- 4.3 Government Structure: 1116
- 5 Military & Intelligence (Force Projection)
- 6 Technology & Trade (Economy)
- 7 Trade Routes (Economic Astrography)
- 8 Worlds & Sectors (Political Astrography)
- 9 References & Contributors (Sources)
A wide variety of astronavigational codes have been used within and without the Imperium over its history. At least two major surveys by the IISS, the First Survey and Second Survey have helped to evolve this system.
Third Imperium Primary Astronavigational Codes # Polity Survey Code Type Remarks i. Sylean Federation Pre-Imperial SF No standard code Pre-Imperial foundational state. Founded -650. ii. Sylean Federation Pre-Imperial SyFe No standard code Pre-Imperial foundational state. Founded -650. iii. Sylean Federation 1st Survey (300) Sy 2-ltr code SyFe (Sy) became the 3rd Imperium I. Third Imperium 2nd Survey (1065) Im3I
4-ltr code Add last 2 letters for Domain.
e.g. ImDs: Imperial, Domain of Sol.
- Please see domain astronavigational codes information below.
1a. Third Imperium
2nd Survey (1065) CsIm 4-ltr code Client States have not yet been formally made full members of the Imperium.
- Many host Imperial military, naval, and/or scout bases despite this informality.
The Third Imperium possesses seven domains in 1116.
Third Imperium Domain Astronavigational Codes # Domain Survey Code Type Remarks 1. Domain of Sylea 2nd Survey (1065) ImDc 4-ltr code Established in 000.
- The oldest domain and source of the pre-foundational state, the Sylean Federation.
2. Domain of Vland 2nd Survey (1065) ImDv 4-ltr code Established in 076. 3. Domain of Gateway 2nd Survey (1065) ImDg 4-ltr code Established in 079. 4. Domain of Ilelish 2nd Survey (1065) ImDi 4-ltr code Established in 081. 5. Domain of Antares 2nd Survey (1065) ImDa 4-ltr code Established in 110. 6. Domain of Sol 2nd Survey (1065) ImDs 4-ltr code Established in 111. 7. Domain of Deneb 2nd Survey (1065) ImDd 4-ltr code Established in 589.
Cultural Region Codes
Some parts of the Third Imperium have divergent cultures from the mainstream sensibilities of the Imperium and it has become expedient to develop a federalized system of Imperial Cultural Regions to better meet the needs of these divergent regions. Some of these regions hold official imprimatur from the Emperor while others hold a less official status:
Third Imperium Imperial Cultural Region Astronavigational Codes # Region Survey Code Type Remarks 1. Amec Protectorate 2nd Survey (1065) ImAP
4-ltr code Third Imperium, Amec Protectorate (Dagu) 2. Atsah Cultural Region 2nd Survey (1065) ImAC 4-ltr code TBD
- Established in ???.
- Culturally Imperial Vargr.
3. Darmine Cultural Region 2nd Survey (1065) ImDC 4-ltr code TBD
- Established in ???.
- Culturally Darmine (race).
4. Geonee Cultural Region 2nd Survey (1065) ImGC 4-ltr code TBD 5. Hezeraek Cultural Region 2nd Survey (1065) ImHC 4-ltr code TBD 6. Jonkeereen Cultural Region 2nd Survey (1065) ImJC 4-ltr code TBD 7. Lancian Cultural Region 2nd Survey (1065) ImLR 4-ltr code TBD
- Established in ???.
- Culturally associated with the Lancians.
- A long rebellious area.
8. League of Antares 2nd Survey (1065) ImLA
4-ltr code Third Imperium, League of Antares (Anta) 9. Luriani Cultural Association 2nd Survey (1065) ImLC
4-ltr code Third Imperium, Luriani Cultural Association (Ley/Forn)
- Established in ???.
10. S'mrii Cultural Region 2nd Survey (1065) ImSC 4-ltr code TBD
- Established in ???.
11. Suerrat Cultural Region 2nd Survey (1065) ImSR 4-ltr code TBD
- Established in ???.
10. Sydymic Cultural Region 2nd Survey (1065) ImYC 4-ltr code TBD
- Established in ???.
11. Sylean Worlds 2nd Survey (1065) ImSW
4-ltr code Third Imperium, Sylean Worlds (Core)
- Established in ???.
12. Tapazmal Cultural Region 2nd Survey (1065) ImTC 4-ltr code TBD
- Established in ???.
13. Thaggeshi Cultural Region 2nd Survey (1065) ImGC 4-ltr code TBD
- Established in ???.
14. Vegan Autonomous District 2nd Survey (1065) ImVD
4-ltr code Third Imperium, Vegan Autonomous District (Solo)
- Established in ???.
15. Vilani Cultural Region 2nd Survey (1065) ImIC 4-ltr code TBD
- Established in ???.
The Imperium is the focal point of history within Charted Space.
- As it rises and falls, so does interstellar civilization... for better or worse.
- It is a powerful aggregate super-polity, supra-polity, a hyperpower, and as it goes, so does the greater state of war and peace amongst the Major Races.
- Some conjecture that the Imperium itself is the results of Ancients social engineering, a venerated Hiver manipulation, or something else. Noone really knows if the Imperium arose on its own bootstraps or as the result of mysterious outside powers.
- Whatever it may be, the Imperium is the 800-pound gorilla in the room and interstellar diplomacy is largely focused around the foibles and tribulations of this single supra-polity. All others rank behind it.
The Imperium is a series of consecutive galactic empires reaching back into recorded interstellar history.
Traveller Third Imperium Overview # Imperium Years Mileu/s Timeline Literature Body Publisher/s Remarks 1a. Pre-First Imperium (-9235 to -4046) Rise of the Vilani Standard OTU Various Various Rise of the Vilani 1b. First Imperium (-4045 to -2205) Ziru Sirka Standard OTU GURPS Traveller: Interstellar Wars Steve Jackson Games Ziru Sirka 1c. Sub-First Imperium (-2422 to -2205) Interstellar Wars Standard OTU GURPS Traveller: Interstellar Wars Steve Jackson Games Interstellar Wars 2a. Second Imperium (-2204 to -1776) Rule of Man Standard OTU Classic Traveller GDW Rule of Man 2b. Post-Second Imperium (-1775 to 0) Long Night Standard OTU Classic Traveller GDW Long Night
- The interregnum between the Second and Third Imperiums.
- Widespread collapse of interstellar civilization.
3a. Third Imperium (0 to 1116) Third Imperium Standard OTU Classic Traveller GDW Third Imperium 3b. Sub-Third Imperium (0 to 199) Milieu 0 Standard OTU Marc Miller's Traveller Imperium Games "Iron Era of the Third Imperium" (0 to 499) 3c. Sub-Third Imperium (200 to 499) Milieu 200 Standard OTU Traveller (5th Edition) Far Future Enterprises "Iron Era of the Third Imperium" (0 to 499)
- Milieu 200
- The early years of the fledgling Third Imperium.
- A meteoric rise and expansion of territory...
3d. Sub-Third Imperium (500 to 999) Milieu 500
- First Civil War
Standard OTU Traveller (5th Edition) Far Future Enterprises "Silver Era of the Third Imperium" (500's to 999)
- Milieu 500
- Internal conflicts and the first civil war...
3e. Sub-Third Imperium (990 to 1100) Mileu 990 Standard OTU Traveller20 QuikLink Interactive "Golden Era of the Third Imperium" (Year 1,000+) 3f. Sub-Third Imperium (1100 to 1116) Mileu 1100 Standard OTU 1. Classic Traveller
3. Mongoose Traveller
Various "Golden Era of the Third Imperium"
- Mileu 1100 (Default Setting)
- A well-established Third Imperium reaching governance limits...
- A mature empire looking to the future...
3g. Post-Third Imperium (1116 to 1220) Rebellion, Collapse & Virus Standard OTU 1. MegaTraveller
2. Traveller: The New Era
- The Golden Era of the third Imperium was cut short...
- This period chronicles the collapse of the Third Imperium in great detail.
- Sometimes called Collapse & Interregnum.
3h. Post-Third Imperium (1116 to 1220)
(1116 to 1130)
Years of the Imperium Eternal Alternate ATU GURPS Traveller Steve Jackson Games Years of the Imperium Eternal
- An alternate timeline where the Third Imperium did not collapse.
4a. Pre-Fourth Imperium (1221 to 1247) Years of the Collapse Standard OTU Traveller: The New Era GDW Years of the Collapse 4b. Fourth Imperium (1248 to 1899) Milieu 1248 Standard OTU Traveller:The New Era: 1248 Avenger Enterprises Fourth Imperium 5a. Galaxiad (1900 to the Far Future) Milieu Galaxiad Standard OTU Traveller (5th Edition)
Far Future Enterprises Galaxiad
- An exciting new storyline set in the universe of Traveller!
A. Goals: 1116
The preamble of the Warrant of Restoration of the Imperium reads:
The worlds of the universe lie separated by the vastness of space, each alone, and dependent upon its own resources. In the past, a greater community of worlds has existed, promoting a greater good for all its members, and for all those who have interacted with it. The time has now come to reestablish that greater community. On the foundations of the past, in order to promote: Safe travel among the stars, the exploration of worlds circling those stars, the pursuit of knowledge, mutually profitable trade and commerce, the active exchange of information and tech the individual pursuit of personal betterment, and the collective pursuit of community good, we hereby reestablish the Grand Empire of the Stars.
Please see Warrant of Restoration for more information.
B. Symbols: 1116
- National Leader: Emperor of the Third Imperium
- Leadership Home: Grand Imperial Palace
- National Emblem: Imperial Sunburst
- National Anthem: Emperor's Anthem
- National Flag: Imperial Sunburst
- National Architecture: Consortium Trinary
- National Architecture: Imperial Palace
- National Architecture: Justice Ministry Building
- National Architecture: Moot Spire
- National Architecture: Tomutov's Palace
- National Executive: Emperor & Iridium Throne
- National Legislature: Moot
- National Judiciary: Justice Ministry
- National Currency: Imperial Credit ("crimp") (IC).
- Please see Imperial Currency for more information.
- National Color: Imperial Red
- National Creature: Poni
- National Founder: Cleon Zhunastu I
- National Language: Anglic & Vilani
- National Literature: Unknown
- National Motto: Unknown
- National Sport: Unknown
The following overview is available of this polity:
- Astrography: This polity is located over 19 sectors.
- Astrography: This polity is estimated to have between 10,000 to 12,000 World-systems.
- Capital: The capital of this polity is Capital (world).
- Population: This polity is estimated to have a population of 17,989,466 (millions) (almost 18 trillion inhabitants).
- Population: The most numerous race/s of this polity are: Races of Humaniti
- Economy: The economic output (gross product) of this polity is estimated at 138,935,068 (BCr) (...almost 139 quadrillion credits).
- Economy: The per capita earning of inhabitants in this polity is estimated at 7,723 (Cr).
- Economy: The resources available in this polity are estimated at 8,629,159 (RU).
- Economy: The shipyard capacity of this polity is estimated at 19,157 (Mtons)
- Economy: The Starport Authority population is estimated at 157,981,050 (employees).
- Military: The armed forces of this polity are estimated at 2,500,000 (BEs).
- Technology: The average technology level of this polity is estimated at TL-12 (C).
- Technology: The highest attainable technology level of this polity is estimated at TL-15 (F).
- Technology: Technology level research in this polity is working towards mastering TL-16 (G).
History & Background (Dossier)
The end of the Third Imperium was hastened by increasingly dangerous power games, which culminated in a Second Civil War.
Political Lineage (1116)
- First Imperium AKA Ziru Sirka AKA Vilani Imperium
- Second Imperium AKA Rule of Man AKA Terran Imperium
- Long Night
- Sylean Federation
- Third Imperium
Significant populations of the following sophont races reside within this sector:
- Humaniti (Human races)
- Jonkeereen (Variant Human Race)
- Nexxies (Variant Human Race)
- Selenite (Variant Human Race)
- Solomani (Major Race)
- Tredhili (non-canon)
- Vilani (Major Race)
- Ziadd (non-canon)
- Ael Yael
- Aslan (Major Race)
- Droyne (Major Race)
- Terragens (Non-human Terran races)
Demographic Data Table: 1116
Significant populations of the following sophont races reside within this polity:
Imperial Sophont Demographics (Populations 10+ billion) Race Population Type Remarks Humaniti 015 trillion Major Race (Various)
- Imperial Man
Humaniti is the dominant species on the many thousands of systems and worlds within the Third Imperium and while most humans are of Solomani, Vilani, or mixed ancestry, literally dozens of other races and sub-species of humans exist: Minor Human Races, Human Chimerae, Variant Races, ethnic groups, and nearly every other possibility imaginable. Humans are a prolific species and can be found in large numbers throughout vast tracts of both the Third Imperium and Charted Space. Suerrat 359 billion Minor Human Race The Suerrat are a prolific race of hairy humans with atavistic (ape-like) features and a powerful, well-developed space empire prior to being conquered by the Vilani. Their great numbers, wealth, and prosperity still make them a powerful force within the Imperium. Lancians 235 billion Minor Human Race The Lancia or Lancians are a minor human race conquered by the Vilani whose culture has long been repressed. Other than their background and culture, they physically resemble baseline genetic humans in almost every way. Vegans 155 billion Non-Human Race The Vegans are a strange human-like race of arid, low-gravity, near-vacuum desert-dwellers. Their communal culture with its distinctive tuhuirs has long baffled human observers. Their society and space empire has long been a crossroads and pawn between larger major races. Syleans 119 billion Minor Human Race The Syleans are genetic humans with a powerful spirit and ambition. Their cultural achievements form a solid cornerstone of the Imperium and one of their own was reputed to be the founder of the Third Imperium. Cleon I has been reported of Solomani-Vilani ancestry, while others record his heritage as pure Sylean. The religion, philosophy, and trade instincts of the Syleans are widely considered second to none, while maintaining a mysterious spiritual aspect that few non-Syleans ever seem to fully grasp. Luriani/Roryniar 104 billion Minor Human Race The Luriani are an enigmatic race of humans, adapted to a semi-aquatic life. Their flexible culture has allowed them to prosper, even while under foreign yokes. Some attribute it to luck or serendipity, but the Luriani know better. Kaggushus 092 billion Minor Human Race The Kaggushus are powerful, genetically-engineered humans, with a long record of ground combat prowess. Their homeworld has long played an important role in Imperial history and their culture has long been repressed. Sigka 090 billion Non-Human Race The Sigka are an aquatic minor race known for their wide-ranging trade missions and advanced technological prowess. As an aquatic proto-species, they were known for great piscinoid aggregates that shoaled and schooled together and their society cooperates and collaborates with each other in ways that other species can only marvel at... Darmine 076 billion Minor Human Race The Darmine are a minor human race, which has little variance from the human genetic baseline including interbreeding capability. Their culture has long been rebellious and has ever since been tracked by the Imperial authorities. Aslan 073 billion Major Race The Aslan are a young and powerful race of felinoid-like sophonts, united in spirit, but not in temporal power. Their often quarreling empire, the Aslan Hierate lies rimward and many Aslan have settled into the Imperium as refugees and exiles with a long and proud record of dedicated and loyal service. Lurent 070 billion Non-Human Race The Lurent are a mysterious, nomadic species with a unique planetoid starship design, a penchant for trading, and a wanderlust second to none. Few know much about the Lurent and they like it that way. Geonee 065 billion Minor Human Race Shorter dwarf-like humans who developed on a heavy gravity, geologically unstable world, which gave them incredible strength and a powerful penchant for taking risks. Their space empire was developing when the Vilani conquered them. Geonee society has always had a rebellious streak as well as a number of well-kept secrets. Bruhre 060 billion Non-Human Race The Bruhre are massive hexapods accustomed to a sulfur-tainted atmosphere and an exotic biochemistry, largely incompatible with mainstream Humaniti and sophontdom. Their culture is extremely complex, and intolerant of outside ways. However, they have keen scientific and philosophical insights that still motivate researchers to overcome their intolerance to learn their insights despite being isolated from mainstream Imperial culture... Selenites 060 billion Variant Human Race The Selenites are human beings, geneered to survive in the microgravities of space habitats. They have experienced explosive population growth and their numbers now make them a force to contend with. Llyrnians 050 billion Non-Human Race The Llyrians or "Devils" are a strange, trisymmetrical, digging species adopted by and allied to the Geonee. Their zero-G combat aptitude make them some of the most capable ship-to-ship fighters ever known. Vargr 042 billion Major Race The Vargr are an enormously adaptive race, capable of fitting in anywhere. As a variant race, they have some racial insecurities, but one of their biggest concerns is whether the Third Imperium will ever fully integrate them into their society. Answerin 040 billion Minor Human Race The Answerin are baseline humans with little genetic variation, while their culture sets them greatly aside. Their powerful psychological sciences help them conquer fear in unparalleled ways. They are fatalistic in one aspect and supremely self-confident in others. Their service as mental health specialists and, oddly enough, fearless mercenaries is in high demand throughout Charted Space. S'mrii 028 billion Non-Human Race The S'mrii are an enigmatic alien race of insectile centauroids with a long history of loyal and dedicated service to the Imperium. The history of their ancient culture is studded with great tragedies and even greater technological achievements. Nenlat 024 billion Non-Human Race The Nenlat are a strange trisymmetrical race of amphibianoids known for their strong tastes for adventure and exploration. Their technological aptitude makes them commonplace on tramp freighters, interface starships, and exploration teams throughout Charted Space. Dolphins 020 billion Non-Human Race Dolphins, an aquatic species and variant race from Terra, were brought by the Solomani to interstellar space. They have prospered ever since and their keen astrogational skills are in high demand. Ziadd 017 billion Minor Human Race The Ziadd are a minor human race with atavistic Neanderthal-like characteristics. Their dynamic culture and keen mercantile instincts have made them famous throughout the Imperium. Llellewyloly 015 billion Non-Human Race The "Dandies" are a finicky bunch of non-humanoid sophonts with a near-unique biology, full of complex social rules that make it hard for outsiders to join their society. Their unique outlook allows them to see many problems "outside of the box", which has led to some remarkable technological innovations. Much of their society is still blanketed in mystery despite centuries of interaction with Humaniti. Chirpers 015 billion Non-Human Race Chirpers are a simple apolitical race of pet-like sophonts that some suspect are proto-sophonts, primitive versions of the Droyne, or possibly even related to the Ancients. They might be simple babes in the woods or they could be a species far more devious... Bwaps 010 billion Non-Human Race The Bwaps are an amphibious, newt-like species dependent on moist air humidity, who are an ubiquitous part of nearly every institution, bureaucracy, and paperwork processing organization throughout the greater Third Imperium. Their regenerative automy ability is well-known (...they can regenerate entire limbs), but their secret experiments into Psychohistory are only rumored at. The mild unassuming image of a Bwap functionary is portrayed throughout the popular media, but what other secrets do these master bookkeepers hold? Kirissukyoya 010 billion Non-Human Race The Kirissukyoya a strange trisymmetrical race of starfaring merchants. Their race was known for high quality merchandise throughout Deneb Sector until internal differences led to a global war which devastated Kiri civilization. They are still re-learning and re-gaining their former glories after a devastating conflict in which the Droyne mysteriously intervened. Observers still ponder why the normally reclusive Droyne intervened... Tahavi 010 billion Non-Human Race The Tahavi were the first non-human race encountered by the Vilani and their early exposure to a sophisticated technological race has greatly benefited them. They have developed into a powerful race of starfaring merchants despite being an aquatic race greatly hampered in trade with terrestrial walkers...
- Base calculations made by Nathan Brazil using T5SS data.
The history of the Third Imperium is generally separated by Sanctioned Imperial Chroniclers into a number of different periods:
The Progress of The Third Imperium Eras of Imperial History Dates Imperium Remarks Dawn of the Third Imperium 000 - 119 Third Imperium Iron Era The Antebellum Years 120 - 474 Third Imperium Iron Era Imperial Disarray 475 - 621 Third Imperium Silver Era Imperial Recovery 622 - 767 Third Imperium Silver Era The Stumbling Years 768 - 939 Third Imperium Silver Era The Solomani Crisis 940 - 1002 Third Imperium Golden Era The New Millennium 1003 - 1084 Third Imperium Golden Era The Golden Age 1085 - 1106 Third Imperium Golden Era Fifth Frontier War 1107 - 1110 Third Imperium Golden Era An Uncertain Future 1111 - 1115 Third Imperium Golden Era Rebellion, Collapse & Virus 1116 - 1220 Interregnum Bronze Era
- Sometimes called Collapse & Interregnum.
Years of the Collapse 1221 - 1247 Interregnum Bronze Era False Spring 1248 - 1899 Fourth Imperium Steel Era Milieu Galaxiad 1900 - Far Future Interregnum Platinum Era
Most of the domains were never totally absorbed into the Imperium. This was a recipe for disaster.
- Please see Domain for more information.
To each archduke, he assigned the continuing pacification of the domain’s many systems and their integration into the Imperium. The domains were:
- 1. Antares (Lishun, Antares, Mendan, Amdukan)
- 2. Gateway (Ley, Glimmerdrift Reaches, Gateway, Crucis Margin)
- 3. llelish (Ilelish, Zarushagar, Reaver’s Deep, Daibei)
- 4. Sol (Dispora, Old Expanses, Solomani Rim, Alpha Crucis)
- 5. Sylea (Core, Fornast, Massilia, Delphi)
- 6. Vland (Corridor, Vland, Gushemege, Dagudashag)
- 7. Deneb (Spinward Marches, Deneb, Trojan Reach, Reft).
The intent was to appoint an archduke to be responsible for their supervision. However, the Civil War broke out before an archduke was appointed.
- Following the civil war, the emperors expressed concern about individuals with powers equaling their own, so they moved to lessen the power of the archdukes in the Imperial government. Because of this, no archduke of Deneb was ever appointed. As a result, the domains came to have little practical significance. Each archduke did retain the power to create knights and baronets.
- In the years after the Fourth Frontier War, and after the problems it presented from lags in communication, Emperor Strephon felt a strengthened archduke position could enable the Imperium to more quickly respond in defending the realm. Against the protests and opposition of some prominent members of the Moot, Strephon reestablished the domain as a level in the bureaucracy of the Imperial Navy and returned to the Domain the ability to collect taxes. Still later, Strephon gave the archdukes the ability to legislate and enforce the desires of the emperor on the local level.
- One of Strephon’s last acts before his murder was to finally appoint an archduke of the Domain of Deneb:
- Archduke Norris
History-Era: Mileu 1100
No information yet available.
The Divided Imperium: With the assassination of emperor Strephon and all immediate heirs to the throne in 1116, the resulting turmoil has caused some confusion as to who will succeed Strephon to the throne.
- Thus, at the moment, factionalism in the Third Imperium is at an all-time high. Even with the uncertainty of the current moment, the Third Imperium still stands. The archdukes are instituting local stopgap measures until such time as a strong central government can be re-established.
Major Historical Events Timeline: 1116
These are some of the more important historical events that have affected this polity:
- (-1776 to 0): Long Night
- (76 to 120): Pacification Campaigns
- (76): Domain of Vland founded.
- (79): Domain of Gateway founded.
- (81): Domain of Ilelish founded.
- (97): Domain of Antares founded.
- (0): Domain of Sylea founded.
- (111): Domain of Sol founded. (Originally: Domain of Diaspora)
- (175 to 191): Julian War
- (220 to 348): Vargr Campaigns
- (244): Dynastic Crisis
- (332): Imperial Road reconnected to Imperial Core.
- (380): Peace of Ftahalr (End of Aslan Border Wars)
- (589 to 1109): Frontier Wars
- (604 to 622): First Imperial Civil War
- (624): Imperial Express Boat Network established.
- (640 to 675): Sydymic War
- (704 to 940): Solomani Autonomous Region
- (772 to 798): Psionics Institute Scandals
Government & Politics (Leadership)
The government of the Third Imperium is a very chaotic yet stabilizing institutional supra-polity widely considered to be a feudal confederation. It is adequately organized to unite in times of trouble yet culturally flexible enough to be tolerant of a very wide variety of sophonts with an extremely diverse spectrum of sensibilities, cultures, mindsets, trophic preferences, and folkways.
- Feudal Confederation: The Imperium can be best thought of as a form of feudal confederation. Member worlds of the Imperium agree to pay taxes and obey a few fundamental laws which the Imperium promulgates, known as the High Laws.
- Third Imperium Duties: In return, the Imperium agrees to patrol the space between the worlds, to protect interstellar trade, to encourage travel and commerce, and to arbitrate diplomatic relations between worlds. Beyond this, individual worlds are left to their own devices so long as they acknowledge the power of the Imperium to rule the stars.
Internal Politics: 1116
Any polity or supra-polity as large as the Third Imperium is bound to have a number of competing internal constituents and the Imperium is no exception.
Internal Factions by Sophont Species
There are too many competing groups to easily list, but here are a number of the better known groups:
Other Differentiated Factors
Please note that these various groups are differentiated and defined on a number of different levels:
Political Factions: 1116
The following are some of the best known factions within the Imperial Moot:
- Moot Monarchist Bloc
- Orange Party
- Red Party
- Republican Factions (anti-Royalists)
- Solomani Supremacists
- Sylean Supremacists
- Vilani Supremacists
Interstellar Relations: 1116
This polity conducts diplomacy and maintains active relations with many other polities.
Allied Powers: 1116
Positive relations exist with the following other polities:
Neutral States: 1116
Neutral relations exist with the following other polities:
Enemy Powers: 1116
Negative relations exist with the following other polities:
Member States: 1116
The following organizations and states have acquiesced part of their sovereignty, thus forming sub-polities, to this supra-polity:
- Ael Yael Protectorate
- Amec Trade Protectorate
- Darmine cultural region
- Ebokin Matriarchy
- Geonee Confederation
- Lancian Cultural Region
- League of Antares
- Luriani Cultural Association
- Nenlat Republic
- S'mrii ConSentiency
- Suerrat Republic
- Sylean Worlds
- Vegan Autonomous District
- Z'krall Protectorate
- Zirduluush Protectorate
Government Structure: 1116
The Third Imperium holds to classical divisions of governance including an executive, legislative, and judicial branches supported by a large bureaucracy and a powerful military.
- Both the bureaucracy and the military are split into numerous subdivisions.
- The division of power between the three branches is not equal and the executive, through the person of the Emperor, holds supreme power.
- Both the legislative, the Moot, and the judicial are subordinate to the executive.
- Both the bureaucracy and the military answer to the Emperor although the nature of the feudal confederation creates the following status quo:
- The bureaucracy is largely subordinate to the Emperor with local parts of its subject to various members of the Imperial Nobility.
- The core of the military, the Imperial Navy and Imperial Marines, is subordinate to the Emperor while many other parts of the military answer to Sector Dukes and local powers.
A. Executive Branch
Executive power for the Third Imperium is vested in the Emperor.
- The Emperor's power is supreme within the Grand Empire of the Stars.
- Imperial Sanction and Imperial Decree
- Please see Emperors of the Third Imperium for more information.
B. Legislative Branch
- Some claim the the Emperor has subverted the power of the Imperial Moot, and that the Moot is no longer a representative or deliberative body.
- Please see Imperial Moot for more information.
- Please see Imperial Law for more information.
C. Judicial Branch
Judicial power for the Third Imperium is vested in the Ministry of Justice.
- The Imperial Ministry of Justice exercises authority over violations of Imperial law, especially when those violations occur on Imperial territory, including within the extrality boundary of starports. Judges, justices, and the other personnel of the Imperial justice system are part of the Ministry of Justice.
- The Ministry of Justice possesses a number of duties including:
- Imperial Courts: High nobles, acting as the Minister of Justice, operate the Imperial Courts.
- Imperial Prison System: The Ministry of Justice also maintains the Imperial Prison System to house convicted criminals.
- Special Agents: Lastly, the Ministry of Justice appoints Special Agents to travel throughout the Imperium to investigate specific cases, and to ensure fair and impartial administration of justice. Most of these agents act with the direct authority of the Minister, and a few have limited Imperial Warrants, making them personal representatives of the Emperor. It is rumored that there are special "super" agents with vastly greater authority granted to them.
- Please see Ministry of Justice for more information.
D. Bureaucracy: 1116
- Institutions: Imperial power is present on member worlds in the form of consulates, bureaucratic offices, bases, and sometimes, larger enclaves of Imperial power are located where they can enforce the Emperor’s will.
- Please see Imperial Bureaucracy for more information.
E. Military: 1116
The military of this polity is subordinate to the supreme executive (civil governor) of this supra-polity, the Emperor.
- Please see Military & Intelligence (Force Projection) tab for more information.
Military & Intelligence (Force Projection)
- While the centralized Third Imperium maintains an Imperial military, the Imperium, is by nature, a feudal government, and nearly every power-holder under the Emperor maintains additional private militaries if they can. These forces can be called upon and even pressed into the service of the Imperial military.
A. Ground Forces: 1116
This military, the ground forces of the Third Imperium or the Imperial Army, includes:
- Imperial Army
The Imperium also regulates and even sometimes hires:
The Imperial naval forces are the largest branch of the military of the Third Imperium. The IN patrols the interstellar highways and maintains the stability of the interstellar trade order while maintaining enough distance and cultural tolerance for some very diverse cultures to prosper. The Navy primarily consist of the following divisions:
Naval Technology: Vast resources beyond the Quadrant. The bulk of the Navy is built to Tech Level 15 standards with some newer models incorporating Tech Level 16 breakthroughs. The fleets of the Quadrant have not yet completed the transition from Tech Level 14 standards.
- Please also see Imperial Rules of War for related information.
C. Special Forces: 1116
Some of these elite forces include:
D. Paramilitary Forces: 1116
Related paramilitary institutions that support the Imperial military includes:
- Imperial Interstellar Scout Service
- Mashkim (System or Planetary Police)
- Ducal Security Forces
- Mainworld Security Forces (Constabulary)
- Irregular "For Hire" Mercenaries
- Regular Contractual Mercenaries
E. Intelligence Agencies: 1116
A related intelligence-gathering institution that supports the Imperial military includes:
- Imperial Intelligence Command (ImpCom)
- Imperial Naval Intelligence (INI)
- The INI can draw on the assets of the entire Imperial Navy and is primarily concerned with military intelligence; it tracks starship and troop operations, and can mount intelligence gathering activities into all parts of the Imperium.
- Imperial Ministry of Justice (MOJ)
- The MOJ is primarily concerned with Imperial society; it has contacts with the court systems of the worlds of the empire, and it has an intelligence network which concentrates on criminal activity. The MOJ is especially valuable when dealing with the criminal elements of the empire and can offer great rewards (in terms of amnesty or pardon) to those who support its mission.
- Imperial Secret Service (ISS)
- Imperial Naval Intelligence (INI)
Technology & Trade (Economy)
The Imperium maintains a very high level of interstellar trade and uses the Imperial Military to maintain the safety of the spaceways.
Technology Timeline: 1116
A rough timeline of technological achievement is as follows:
- (-1776): TL-10 Syleans maintain minimal interstellar trade
- (-650): TL-11 Sylean Federation established
- (-150): TL-12 Robot manufacturing reestablished
- (300): TL-13 Vargr Campaigns taking place (210-348)
- (700): TL-14 Xboat system being built (624-718)
- (1000): TL-15 Solomani Rim War taking place (998-1002)
Interstellar Commerce & Trade: 1116
Interstellar commerce and trade are the foundation of the Third Imperium and such trade is considered of vital importance to the Emperor. Great efforts are extended to provide a stable and secure environment in which to trade. While trade is regulated to a degree, the commercial environment on the interstellar scale is largely laissez faire and is often far more regulated by local duchies and world or system governments than by the Imperium itself. As long as the Imperium receives its share, the other details are left to local governments.
Corporation Listing: 1116
The following businesses operate out of or in this polity:
Interstellar Currency & Finance: 1116
The Imperium uses the Imperial Credit, informally known as the Crimp, as its currency. The Crimp is well-known for its stability and ability to hold value.
- Please see Imperial Currency for more information.
Research & Technology: 1116
- Corporate Research Center
- Imperial Research Station
- Megacorporate Research Center
- Private Research Center
Calendar & Timekeeping (Chronology)
The Third Imperium maintains a standard calendar, which sets a timekeeping baseline for all parts of the Imperium.
- Please see Imperial calendar for more information.
Calendar Specifications: Imperial dates count from the year of the founding of the Third Imperium, specifying the year zero as a holiday year.
- Dates before that are negative; dates after that are positive, usually with the sign suppressed.
- Imperial dating uses a Julian system for specifying days.
- Each day in the year is consecutively numbered beginning with 001.
- Thus, in the year 1105, the first day of the year is 001-1105.
- Weeks of seven days and months of 28 days are used to refer to lengths of time, but rarely to establish dates.
The majority of the Third Imperium has standardized on a Base-10 system of mathematics, including:
- Mathematical logic
- Particle mechanics
- And other branches of mathematics.
The majority of the Imperium possess an advanced knowledge of the sciences that includes:
- A formalized method of scientific inquiry.
- Earth (planetary) and Space sciences, including astronomy, cosmology, and geosciences.
- Social sciences, including psychology and sociology.
- Life sciences, including biology.
- Physical sciences, including chemistry and physics.
- Formal sciences, including mathematics and logic.
Trade Routes (Economic Astrography)
The following astrographic features and trade routes are widely used by interests within this polity:
Mains, Branches & Arms
Clusters & Traces
- No information yet available.
Rifts, Voids & Jump Bridges
- No information yet available.
Other Astrographic Features
Worlds & Sectors (Political Astrography)
The Third Imperium controls vast swathes of Charted Space. Some have called the Third Imperium an Empire of many Dukes. A complicated system of governance developed over a several millennia timespan of the three Imperiums and has the following characteristics:
- Empire Politic (Emperor)
Third Imperium Political Astrography # Division Name Ruler Remarks 1. Imperium
(Entire Imperium: All of the sectors)
Empire Politic Emperor Highest Astrographic Division. 2. Domain
(Several sectors with size differences)
Domain Archduke Most powerful nobles short of the Emperor. 3. Sector
Realm Sector Duke Extremely powerful nobles 4. Subsector
(A subsector with possible additional worlds)
Duchy Subsector Duke
Powerful and very capable nobles. 5. Cluster or Trace
Count Promising nobles. 6. World Marquisate Marquis Fledgling nobles
- Lowest Astrographic Division.
The capital of this polity is located on this world:
World Listing: 1116
The following systems and worlds can be found within this polity:
Sector Map: 1116
The location of this polity in Charted Space can be found on the following map:
Political Divisions: 1116
- The Imperium’s territory is divided into sectors.
- These are, in turn, divided into subsectors and systems.
- Groups of sectors, called domains, have been created above the sector level.
- Some parts of sectors are further subdivided into duchies and counties.
- Frontier areas are sometimes designated districts and later given more formal subsector designations as development occurs.
Territorial Overview: 1116
The three Imperiums each expanded or lost territory within the Imperium proper:
Imperial Territorial Overview (-4045 to Present) # Sector First Imperium Second Imperium Third Imperium
(0 to Present)
Domain Remarks i. TOTALS: 27 Sectors 28 Sectors 28 Sectors 7 Domains It is suspected that the Imperium is approaching its governance limits as of 1116.
- The Imperium is a strongly expansionistic state.
01. Alpha Crucis Sector Held: Partial Held: Full Held: Partial Domain of Sol This is an Imperial frontier area. 02. Amdukan Sector Held: Partial Held: Minority Lost Domain of Antares This Imperial territory was lost to the depredations of foreign powers. 03. Antares Sector Held: Full Held: Full Held: Majority Domain of Antares This is an Imperial frontier area. 04. Core Sector Held: Full Held: Full Held: Full Domain of Sylea This is an Imperial core sector. 05. Corridor Sector Held: Minority Held: Partial Held: Majority Domain of Vland This is an Imperial frontier area. 06. Dagudashaag Sector Held: Full Held: Full Held: Full Domain of Vland This is an Imperial core sector. 07. Daibei Sector Held: Partial Held: Partial Held: Majority Domain of Ilelish This is an Imperial frontier area. 08. Deneb Sector Frontier Frontier Held: Majority Domain of Deneb This is an Imperial frontier area. 09. Delphi Sector Held: Majority Held: Majority Held: Majority Domain of Sylea This is an Imperial core area. 10. Diaspora Sector Held: Full Held: Full Held: Full Domain of Sol This is an Imperial core sector.
- This sector is noted for the presence of a number of sub-polities within the greater Third Imperium.
11. Empty Quarter Sector Held: Partial Held: Partial Held: Partial Domain of Antares This is an Imperial frontier area. 12. Fornast Sector Held: Full Held: Full Held: Full Domain of Sylea This is an Imperial core sector.
- This sector is noted for the Luriani Cultural Association.
13. Glimmerdrift Reaches Sector Frontier Held: Minority Held: Partial Domain of Gateway This is an Imperial frontier area.
- This area is mostly held by many small independent powers known as pocket empires.
14. Gushemege Sector Held: Majority Held: Majority Held: Full Domain of Vland This is an Imperial core sector.
- This sector is noted for the Lancian Cultural Region.
15. Hinterworlds Sector Frontier Frontier Held: Minority Domain of Sol This is an Imperial frontier area. 16. Ilelish Sector Held: Full Held: Full Held: Full Domain of Ilelish This is an Imperial core sector. 17. Ley Sector Held: Partial Held: Partial Held: Majority Domain of Gateway This is an Imperial frontier area.
- This sector is noted as one of the locations of the Julian War.
- This sector is noted for the Sydymic War.
- This sector is noted as the location of the capital of the Luriani at Daraam.
- This sector is noted for the Luriani Cultural Association.
- This sector is noted for the Khuur League of the Sydites.
18. Lishun Sector Held: Full Held: Full Held: Full Domain of Antares This is an Imperial core sector. 19. Magyar Sector Held: Partial Held: Full Held: Partial Domain of Sol This is an Imperial frontier area. 20. Massilia Sector Held: Full Held: Full Held: Full Domain of Sylea This is an Imperial core sector.
- This sector is noted as the location of the Geonee Confederation.
21. Mendan Sector Held: Partial Held: Minority Lost Domain of Antares This Imperial territory was lost to the depredations of foreign powers. 22. Meshan Sector Held: Partial Held: Minority Lost Domain of Antares This Imperial territory was lost to Vargr depredations. 23. Old Expanses Sector Held: Partial Held: Majority Held: Full Domain of Sol This is an Imperial core sector. 24. Provence Sector Held: Minority Held: Minority Lost Domain of Vland This Imperial territory was lost to Vargr depredations. 25. Reaver's Deep Sector Frontier Frontier Held: Partial Domain of Ilelish This is an Imperial frontier area.
- This area is partially held by many small independent powers known as pocket empires.
- The Aslan Hierate has a significant presence in this area in 1116.
- The Carrillian Assembly has a significant presence in this area in 1116.
- The Principality of Caledon has a significant presence in this area in 1116.
- The Solomani Confederation has a presence in this area in 1116.
26. Reft Sector Held: Minority Held: Partial Held: Majority Domain of Deneb
Domain of Vland
This is an Imperial frontier area. 27. Solomani Rim Sector Held: Partial Held: Full Held: Majority Domain of Sol This is an Imperial frontier area. 28. Spinward Marches Sector Frontier Frontier Held: Majority Domain of Deneb This is an Imperial frontier area.
- This sector is noted as the site of multiple Frontier Wars.
- The Zhodani Consulate contests this area in 1116.
- The Darrian Confederation has a presence in this area in 1116.
- The Sword Worlds Confederation has a presence in this area in 1116.
- The Vargr Extents have a presence in this area in 1116.
- It is particularly rich in intelligent life (NILs).
29. Trojan Reach Sector Frontier Frontier Held: Partial Domain of Deneb This is an Imperial frontier area. 30. Verge Sector Held: Partial Held: Majority Held: Full Domain of Ilelish This is an Imperial frontier area. 31. Vland Sector Held: Full Held: Full Held: Full Domain of Vland This is an Imperial core sector. 32. Windhorn Sector Held: Partial Held: Minority Lost Domain of Vland This Imperial territory was lost to Vargr depredations. 33. Zarushagar Sector Held: Full Held: Full Held: Full Domain of Ilelish This is an Imperial core sector.
- This sector is noted for the Darmine Cultural Region.
Territorial Overview Chart Key
Chart Key Sector World % Color Significance Notes Frontier sector 0% (No color) Little District. No ownership.
- Possible influence. Often client states.
- No official presence.
Lost sector 0% (No color) Little Former possession. Rarely remaining client states.
- Often referred to by former Imperial name.
- Often a lingering and unofficial presence.
Minority sector 1% to 10% (Pink or Salmon) Significant District. Typically governed from a nearby domain.
- A significant, but minor presence.
- Often encompass border or periphery areas.
Partial sector 11% to 50% (Pink or Salmon) Very significant Owned but typically governed from a nearby domain.
- Up to half the sector. A very significant presence.
Majority sector 51% to 90% (Imperial Red) Great Own domain. Typically a core sector.
- More than half. A great presence.
Full sector 91% to 100% (Imperial Red) Crucial Own domain. Almost always a core sector.
- The vast majority. A crucial and massive presence.
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article lacks sufficient detail and while it possesses all of the desired stylistic features, it needs more quality content. More work needs to be done to make this a whole page and a good article. This is step 5. in the article refinement process.
- John Harshman, Marc Miller, Loren Wiseman. Library Data (A-M) (Game Designers Workshop, 1981), TBD.
- Marc Miller. The Traveller Book (Game Designers Workshop, 1982), TBD.
- Marc Miller. Imperial Encyclopedia (Game Designers Workshop, 1987), TBD.
- Loren Wiseman. GURPS Traveller (Steve Jackson Games, 1998), TBD. Main Rulebook
- Citation Missing - T5: Core Rules Main Rulebook
- Novel: Agent of the Imperium by Marc W. Miller
- External Link: Traveller Encyclopedia
- Author & Contributor: Lord and Master of Sophontology (Marquis) Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science
- Author & Contributor: Nathan Brazil