Ulysses class Long-Range Scout
|Ulysses class Long-Range Scout|
|Type: LU Long-Range Scout|
|Also see||Science Vessel|
|Canon||No. Unpublished, non-canon fan design.|
|Cost|| MCr413.848 (base)|
|EOS||Still in active service.|
|Passengers||0 High/Med 10 Low|
|Reference||Fan: Ade Alagoric Stewart|
|Starships are designed with the Classic Traveller format, using High Guard Shipyard v1.13 written by Andrea Vallance.|
The Ulysses class Long-Range Scout is a science research starship.
- It is a Paramilitary Ship and a Long-Range Scout.
- The vessel is a TL-11 design.
- This is a generic class of vessel.
- Please also see AAB article: Ships of the Distant Fringe.
It is a vessel with 3-G and J-2 performance. The Ulysses class is a survey vessel occasionally encountered within the Distant Fringe region. It is classified as a Research Ship and is constructed as a long-range design. Similar designs have been in use from the time the Distant Fringe was first settled.
- It carries light armament and a defensive suite.
- It ordinarily carries no subcraft nor drones.
- It has a 20 sophont crew and no marines.
General Description & Deck Plans
No information yet available.
Basic Ship Characteristics
Following the Imperial Navy and IISS Universal Ship Profile and data, additional information is presented in the format shown here. The small craft factor indicates the number of squadrons (...of ten subcraft) carried on the ship. Tonnage on the universal ship profile is shown in kilotons (...thousands of tons) where necessary. 
|Basic Ship Characteristics |
|1.||Tonnage / Hull||The Long-Range Scout is constructed using a 600 dTon hull built in a generally cone-shaped configuration. The hull is fully streamlined, giving a good atmospheric performance that is entirely reliant on its gravitic systems.|
|2.||Crew|| Total Crew Complement: 20
x9 Command, x2 Engineering, x5 Gunnery, x3 Service, and x1 Medic.
There are 20 Staterooms.
There are 20 Low Berths, typically used for specimen storage.
|3.||Performance|| The vessel mounts a DeVoss-type Jump-2 drive, a Maneuver-3 drive and a Power Plant-3, giving performance of 3-G acceleration and producing 18 Energy Points. The ship has an agility rating of 1 and an emergency agility of 3. The internal fuel tankage gives the power plant 6 weeks duration.
|4.||Electronics|| Adjacent to the bridge is a Model/3 Computer: the vessel has a backup Model/3 Computer.
|6.||Armament||The normal weapons fit-out for a Long-Range Scout is:|
|7.||Defenses|| The hull is unarmored.
The vessel is not fitted with screens or other passive defensive systems.
|8.||Craft||The vessel carries no subcraft.|
|9.||Fuel Treatment||The vessel has internal fuel tankage of 267 dTons.|
|10.||Cost|| The basic cost of the vessel is MCr413.848.
|11.||Construction Time|| 96 weeks (24 months) as standard.
|12.||Comments||Standard cargo capacity amounts to 25 dTons.|
The Ulysses class is classified as a Research Ship and is typically employed in commercial planetary surveys and resource exploration as well as astrographic exploration. It is also used to support military operations and conduct espionage. The Ulysses is broadly representative of the type and has a typical fit out of weapons systems and onboard electronics.
Class Naming Practice/s & Peculiarities
A number of companies manufacture ships equivalent to the Ulysses class. They vary in hull shape and internal layout but all share the same basic design and all have very similar capabilities and performance characteristics.
- Each variant class is named by the company that produces it, but these organizations generally draw on traditional naming protocols. It is not uncommon for a historical class name to be reused.
- Individual vessels within a class are issued specific serial numbers and transponder codes but are traditionally named by their first crew. This is considered a serious affair and a ship with a frivolous name is considered "unlucky".
Selected Variant Types & Classes
- Type TBD class Research Ship
- Ulysses class Long-Range Scout
|This article has Metadata|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Marc Miller, Frank Chadwick, John Harshman. High Guard (Game Designers Workshop, 1980), 20-37. (Design Sequence Used)
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master Scout Emeritus Adie Alegoric Stewart of the IISS
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science