Library Data Referral Tree
- Education in Charted Space
Psionics Institute is a generic name; each such institution was independently organized and maintained.
- Institutes were generally supported by that portion of the population that had psionic talents.
- Since that portion was small, they were viable only on high population worlds (...approximately one billion or more).
Organizations of this nature have existed since before the advent of space travel, but attained prominence only during the Long Night when reproducible scientific discoveries made psionics a teachable, learnable science.
- In the Imperial Antebellum period, psionics institutes were rare, being formed only on a few scattered worlds which, for one reason or another, had an unusually high rate of psionic talents appearing, or which encouraged Psionics for social, political, or commercial reasons.
- In the years after the Civil War, institutes were organized on most high population worlds within the Imperium.
- During the Psionics Suppressions, the institutes' charters were revoked, and talented individuals were persecuted.
- In some cases, the individuals fled to assume new identities on other worlds; in others, whole families emigrated to the Zhodani Consulate or to other places beyond the frontiers of the Imperium.
Following the Psionics Suppressions, there were theoretically no psionics institutes remaining in the Third Imperium.
- In practice, underground institutes remained on many worlds.
|This article has a secret.|