Broadsword class Mercenary Cruiser
|Broadsword class Mercenary Cruiser|
Broadsword class Mercenary Cruiser
|Type: FL Frigate|
|Passengers||11 High/Med 0 Low|
The Broadsword class Mercenary Cruiser is an 800-ton spherical hulled starship designed for a wide range of military and quasi-military missions, and is essentially a type C cruiser. Some changes, alterations, and modifications, however, have been imposed to make the ship more adaptable to a variety of different operations.
The ship itself is unstreamlined, although it has sufficient lack of projections to allow it to skim hydrogen from gas giants in order to refuel. It may land on vacuum worlds, but generally interacts with the surfaces of worlds through its complement of 50-ton cutters, their interchangeable modules, and the ship's single air/raft. The cutters can carry cargo and supplies from a starport to the ship, troops and ATVs to a world surface for battle, or passengers from point to point. The air/raft, while slower, also has orbital capability and can be used when the cutters are otherwise occupied.
History & Background (Dossier)
Used extensively in the outer areas of the Imperium, the Broadsword class mercenary cruiser is designed to perform light military functions over extended periods of time and with great coverage of distance. The cruiser design was specifically commissioned by the Imperium, and examples are used by independent military organizations operating with Imperial approval. In effect, mercenary organizations serve to enforce a basic policy of peace and order in areas where the lmperium itself does not have the resources.
The first ship of this class bore the name Broadsword, and following ships of the class have been named for edged weapons and polearms. As the class grew and more ships were built, the general category of non-missile firing weapons was assumed for naming of additional ships.
New Frontier Trading Partners, a limited corporation based on Excalibur in the Sword Worlds Confederation, procured a fleet of ten mercenary cruisers for use in operations outside the Marches far to spinward. Those vessels carried the names of ten planets within the Sword Worlds— all of them incidentally cognomial swords and thus appropriate to the ship name class. Incidentally, there is some conjecture that the swashbuckling name for the class was a clever marketing decision intended to appeal to the mercenary units that need these vessels; it apparently did influence the Sword World decision, as the competing ship class for the contract was named for Imperial naval heroes.
NON-CANNON: Within the Trouble in the Spinward Marches (CT) Play By Email Campaign The Broadsword Class Cruiser is a primary Imperial Navy Cruiser. The setting tends to be a small ship universe, as such, the Broadswords fill the roll of naval Cruiser quite handily.
- The Cruiser Mameluke is frequently found within the marches, clashing with enemies of freedom and justice.
Selected Type C Variant Ships
References & Contributors (Sources)
- Marc Miller. Starships (Game Designers Workshop, 1977), 20.
- Loren Wiseman. "Broadsword class Mercenary Cruisers." Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society 08 (1981): 24-37.
- Timothy B. Brown. Fighting Ships (Game Designers Workshop, 1981), 21.
- Loren Wiseman. Broadsword (Game Designers Workshop, 1982), 16-31.
- Marc Miller. Imperial Encyclopedia (Game Designers Workshop, 1987), 83.
- Frank Chadwick, Dave Nilsen. Traveller: The New Era (Game Designers Workshop, 1993), 377.
- Frank Chadwick, Dave Nilsen. Brilliant Lances (Game Designers Workshop, 1994), 30.
- Don Perrin. Starships (Imperium Games, 1996), 42-44.
- External Link: Longsword subclass of the Broadsword Class 800 dton Mercenary Cruiser Deck Plans
- External Link: RAFM Broadsword Class Mercenary Cruiser Model and Images
- External Link: Adventure 7: Broadsword
- External Link: Traveller Starship Design - Broadsword class Mercenary Cruiser
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science