From Traveller Wiki - Science-Fiction Adventure in the Far future
(Redirected from Air/raft)
- Most air/rafts are capable of reaching orbit (occupants must wear vacc suits) but the trip will take several (6 to 8) hours. An air/raft is not intended for extended spaceflight. Interface landers (spacecraft), G-carriers, ship's gigs, shuttles, and other smallcraft perform similar roles.
Common Air/Raft Features
Air/rafts commonly have the following features:
- Four independent, individually replaceable modules insure a maximum of safety, in that each provides one-quarter of the vehicle's total lift.
- A standard air/raft masses about 4 tons, and can carry a payload of about 4 tons, including the pilot and 3 passengers.
- Cruising speed is usually 100 kph, with unlimited range and endurance.
- Many air/rafts are open-topped and subject to the effects of weather and climate.
- The major drawbacks to the air/raft are its low load capacity, its relatively slow speed, and its susceptibility to weather (both the negative effects of bad weather on passengers and the slowing effects of high winds and buffeting).
- Also, most can be overloaded with passengers (a maximum of 8 can fit with minimal comfort) so long as the tonnage maximum is not exceeded.
History & Background (Dossier)
Selected Air/Raft Classes
TL Model Name Weight (Unloaded) Cargo TL-16 Trodall-class Air/Raft 4 tons Cargo: 0.6794 Kiloliters TL-13 Hurakan enclosed Air/Raft 3 tons Cargo: 20.0000 Kiloliters TL-13 Halcyon open Air/Raft 2 tons Cargo: 11.1670 Kiloliters TL-12 Children's Air/Raft Less than 1.0 tons Cargo: 50.0000 Kiloliters
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Marc Miller. Characters and Combat (Game Designers Workshop, 1977), 18.
- Starships and Spacecraft
- Classic Traveller Little Black Book Adventure 3 Twilight's Peak (book)
- Bryan Steele. Mercenary (Mongoose Publishing, 2008), .Frank Chadwick. Mercenary (Game Designers Workshop, 1978), .
- Classic Traveller Little Black Book Supplement 8 Library Data (A-M)
- Grand Census
- MegaTraveller 101 Vehicles
- MegaTraveller Imperial Encyclopedia
- MegaTraveller World Builder's Handbook
- Periodical: Third Imperium 10
- Traveller: The New Era Main Rulebook (pg. 363)
- Reformation Coalition Equipment Guide
- SGS: Imperial Small Craft Vol. 2
- EXTERNAL LINK:  (Trodall-class Air/raft)
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Bari Z. Stafford
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science