The role of Gunner is a professional vocation.
- The role is also known as a Weapon Operator or Specialist.
- A gunner is a member of a ship's crew
- An individual must be qualified (skilled) to perform the role.
One gunner may be hired per turret on a ship. Armed small craft require a gunner in addition to the pilot. If there is more than one gunner, the most skilled is designated the chief gunner and draws 10% more pay. The gunner position may be omitted if there is no major threat to the ship.
On larger vessels, the ship should have a chief gunnery officer and at least one petty officer for each type of weapon aboard. A major weapon (a Spinal Mount) should have a crew of one per 100 Tons of weapon; bay weapons should have a crew of at least two; turret weapons should have a crew of at least one per battery. Each screen device (Force Field Generators, Nuclear Dampers, or Meson Screens) should have a crew of at least four. The gunnery section should have 10% officers, and 30% petty officers. Personnel are drawn from the gunnery branch and the technical services branch.
An individual's skill as a Gunner is rated by their Certificate:
- Level 1 (Qualified)
- Level 2 (Competent)
- Level 3 (Experienced / Expert)
- Level 4 or more (Master)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Classic Traveller Book 2 Starships (Game Designers Workshop, 1977)
- Classic Traveller Book 5 High Guard (Game Designers Workshop, 1980)
- MegaTraveller core books (Game Designers Workshop, 1987)
- The Traveller's Handbook Traveller D20 (QuikLink Interactive, 2002)
- T5 Core Rules (Far Future Enterprises, 2013)
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science