- Computers are commonly known as Processors throughout much of Charted Space.
- It is an important item of Ship Equipment.
- I: Information Science / Information Technology (Info-)
- C: Cognitive Science / Cybertechnology (Cogno-)
- E: Education in Charted Space
Computers are rated according to a vast variety of characteristics and capabilities, but general quality paradigms have been established.
- Computer Implant
- Control Console
- Control Panel
- Fire Control Computer
- Hand Computer
- House Brain
- Map Box
- Neural Net
- Ship's Computer
The development of Information Technology (IT) and particularly the key device of IT, the computer is a key advancement of any technological civilization.
- Computer technology greatly assists in the advancement of knowledge. Scientists used it to better store, collate, and push out the boundaries of scientific knowledge. Linguists use it to catalogue known languages and improve universal translators. Bureaucrats use it to aid in process of governance, massively increasing efficiency.
- Nearly every tech level of advancement leads to an exponential increase in pure research capability and a greatly sped up doubling of existing knowledge.
- Computers and other forms of data processing and storage expand the extilligence of a civilization, which is to say its ability to pass on learning from one generation to the next.
References & Contributors (Sources)
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|
- Periodical: Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society 01 in Article: "Computer Programming" by: Marc Miller
- Periodical: Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society 24 in Article: "Using your Model/1bis" by: Marc Miller
- Periodical: Challenge 25 in Article: "Using Your Model/2 bis" by: Marc Miller
- Periodical: Stellar Reaches 08 in Article: "Using Your Model 2 Bis, Revisited. Part 1" by: Joshua Bell
- Periodical: Stellar Reaches 10 in Article: "Using Your Model 2 Bis, Revisited. Part 2" by: Joshua Bell
- Traveller Wiki Editorial Team
- Author & Contributor: Lord (Marquis) and Master of Sophontology Maksim-Smelchak of the Ministry of Science