- They are also centers of material and manufacturing technologies. They help to set the pace of technological progress, standardization, and innovation.
- A depot generally occupies an entire system. Facilities, material, and personnel are extensive enough to repair and resupply a large fraction of a sector fleet at any time. A depot may be isolated from outside contact for years at a time without serious setbacks. As depots cover large parts of a system, there is no distinction between orbital and surface berthing.
- 1 Description (Specifications)
- 2 History & Background (Dossier)
- 3 Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
- 4 References & Contributors (Sources)
In peacetime, the main functions of a depot are naval command, support, and planning; which includes the design and testing of ships. A large staff of naval architects, the cream of the area, and construction personnel are maintained at most depots. A Depot may operate a training fleet and academies, a mothball fleet, research, 'command and control' and other functions necessary to maintain the Imperial Navy.
- In wartime, depots serve as repair and resupply centers for fleets. In emergencies, the depot's construction yards can be pressed into service for full scale production of military ships.
- Since a depot is obviously a very sensitive installation, security is tight. An extensive array of both entry and exit codes are employed to insure no unauthorized vessels enter or leave the system. Contingents of marines and system defense boats are stationed throughout the system, and are constantly ready for action. Almost all depots have an Amber or Red Zone rating
- Typically, there is usually no more than one naval depot per sector, placed in systems where they will be close enough to the expected action to be useful, but far enough back to insure that they will not be captured.
Each Imperial navy depot is built around providing all the requirements of the Imperial fleets of the sector.
|Typical Naval Depot Services|
|Repairs & Maintenance||A major focus for each naval depot is the maintenance of the navy's starships. Ships are brought to the depot for periodic inspection, annual overhauls, upgrades and installation of new equipment, and repair of damage incurred in the course of operations. In peace time, routine maintenance services are a valuable activity; in time of war, the service is invaluable.
|Personnel Services||Depots are a natural assignment for large numbers of naval personnel. All skills that the navy needs are required at a depot. Support services, administration, dependent support, housing, recreation, and technical services are all needed on a continuing bases at the depot.
|Research & Development||Each depot maintains a large scale research and development office. New ship systems and full ship designs are the usual focus. Work includes reverse engineering foreign ship designs and systems.
|Training||Each depot is naturally given the task of providing training for military personnel. Because of the many different services a depot provides, it is uniquely suited to training personnel for those services. As a result, a depot maintains an extensive training establishment, providing in-depth training for all aspects of starship technology.
Each naval depot has three dedicated fleets of ships assigned to it. Unlike the Regular Fleets, these are specialized ships build for specific purposes. For command purposes, every ship in the Depot is assigned a fleet. However, in some cases, Regular/Reserve Fleet infrastructure and support can be based from a depot rather than a starport naval base.
|Typical Naval Depot Fleets|
|Training Fleet||The training fleet consists of at least one example of each ship commonly found in the sector fleets. These ships are used for the training of naval personnel in all manner of situations. The Training Fleet also contains a number of adversary squadrons to act as an opposition force for the training exercises. The squadrons usually consist of either converted or custom built ships to mimic the foreign ship most likely to be encountered in the sector. The adversary squadrons of depot training fleets are generally considered to be the best trained and most effective squadrons in the Imperial Navy.|
|Security Fleet||The depot's security fleet has the mission of defense of the Depot from all possible dangers. The security fleet maintains a collection of System Defense Boats, early warning ships, and squads of battleships and/or monitors. In times of heightened security, the security fleet can also call upon the training fleet and adversarial squadrons for additional support.|
|Mothball Fleet||The depot is used for the storage of obsolete or obsolescent government and naval vessels that cannot be economically operated, but which retain some value for the moment. As starship classes are retired from service, some transfer to the Reserve fleets or Colonial fleets while others are stored until a use for them can be found, like attrition replacements during war, or until they are scrapped. Because a depot encompasses an entire system and is under the complete control of the Navy, it is an ideal secure storage location for such ships.
Depot worlds have a long history within Charted Space and fully date back to the Ziru Sirka (Anglic: Ziru Sirka), possibly beyond. At any rate, the early Vilani used them as rallying points for their campaigns of intergalactic conquest, err...intergalactic business and advertising.
- By the time of the Ziru Sirka (Anglic: Ziru Sirka), the Bureaux added research and development to the mission of the depot.
- The Rule of Man rearranged the locations of many of the depots, even hid the locations of others, but almost all of them remained industrial powerhouses.
- Most of these built-up areas kept some measure of technical prowess through the Long Night. Some were forgotten, but the locals have long memories. Better yet, many of them remember lost technologies, innovative manufacturing techniques, and have retained lost hoards of manufacturing templates.
- The Syleans used the worlds as data repositories for technological data, places from which to build a regional tech base.
- The early Third Imperium kept these functions and began a methodical program of creating industrial manufacturing standards. The early Third Imperium also established Educational Institutes to aid redevelopment efforts.
Aasha Ziru Sirka (Anglic: Aasha Ziru Sirka) Eshimaar (Anglic: Eshimaar)
During the Ziru Sirka (Anglic: Ziru Sirka), depots, known as Eshimaar (Anglic: Eshimaar), were Aasha Ziru Sirka (Anglic: Aasha Ziru Sirka) marshalling areas and comprised at least 10% of Vilani Naval Bases.
- These facilities were mothballed during peacetime and activated during hostilities.
- Known Aasha Ziru Sirka (Anglic: Aasha Ziru Sirka) Eshimaar (Anglic: Eshimaar) include Shulgiasu (world) and Dingir (world) in Solomani Rim Sector during the Ninth Interstellar War.
Worlds & Sectors (Astrography)
Depots are located throughout Imperial Space including the following areas:
- Antares Sector: 1 depot/s
- Core Sector: 1 depot/s
- Corridor Sector: 1 depot/s
- Dagudashaag Sector: 1 depot/s
- Daibei Sector: 1 depot/s
- Delphi Sector: 2 depot/s
- Deneb Sector: 1 depot/s
- Diaspora Sector: 1 depot/s
- Fornast Sector: 1 depot/s
- Gushemege Sector: 1 depot/s
- Ilelish Sector: 1 depot/s
- Ley Sector: 1 depot/s
- Lishun Sector: 1 depot/s
- Massilia Sector: 1 depot/s
- Old Expanses Sector: 1 depot/s
- Solomani Rim Sector: 1 depot/s
- Vland Sector: 1 depot/s
- Zarushagar Sector: 1 depot/s
World Listing: 1105
Depots of the Third Imperium
Imperial depots are traditionally named for the sector in which they are placed; for example, the Imperial depot in Corridor sector is named Depot/Corridor
|Depots of the Third Imperium|
|#||Name||Alternate Name||UWP||Base||Remarks||Rebellion Allegiance||Gas Giant?|
|1.||Depot (Antares 2021)||Zu or Kudii Ki||A54456A-D||D||Ag Ni / Da Mr||An: Antares||Gas Giant|
|2.||Depot (Corridor 1511)||Camh Ranh||A68646A-D||D||Ni Ga Pa / Da Mr (Miiminri)0||None||Gas Giant|
|3.||Depot (Core 1518)||Uugnii||A86A56A-F||D||Ni Wa Pr / Da Mr||Im: Imperial (Lucan)||None|
|4.||Depot (Daibei 0326)||Bloddwyn||A9B956A-F||D||Fl Ni / Da Mr||Da: Daibei||Gas Giant|
|5.||Depot (Dagudashaag 3121)||Shenpe||A31046A-F||D||Ni / Da Mr||Im: Imperial (Lucan)||None|
|6.||Depot (Delphi 0832)||Depot 1||A58346A-D||D||Ni / Da Mr||Ma: Margaret||Gas Giant|
|7.||Depot (Delphi 1205)||Depot 2 or Halena||A78746A-D||D||Ni Ga Pa / Da Mr||Ma: Margaret||Gas Giant|
|8.||Depot (Deneb 1613)||Sika'im||A10066A-F||D||Na Ni Va / Da Mr||No: Norris (Deneb)||None|
|9.||Depot (Diaspora 2018)||None||A00076A-F||D||As Na Va Pi / Mr Pz||None||Gas Giant|
|10.||Depot (Fornast 1811)||Robinson||A87846A-D||D||Ni Pa / Da Mr||Im: Imperial (Lucan)||Gas Giant|
|11.||Depot (Gushemege 3016)||Dartus||A54066B-C||D||De He Ni Po / Da Mr||St: Strephon||Gas Giant|
|12.||Depot (Ilelish 1022)||None||A56256A-D||D||Ni Pr / Da Mr||Il: Ilelish||Gas Giant|
|13.||Depot (Ley 1420)||None||A55356A-D||D||Ni Po / Da Mr||Im: Imperial (Lucan)||None|
|14.||Depot (Lishun 1219)||Dynam or Gamkuuruu||A78846A-D||D||Ni Pa / Da Mr||None||None|
|15.||Depot (Massilia 0301)||Shimuniipam||A78A76A-E||D||Ri Wa / Mr Pz||Im: Imperial (Lucan)||None|
|16.||Depot (Old Expanses 1213)||Ultraneta||A00056A-F||D||As Ni Va / Da Mr||So: Solomani||Gas Giant|
|17.||Depot (Solomani Rim 1911)||Rasalhague||A00066B-F||D||As Na Ni Va / Da Mr||So: Solomani||Gas Giant|
|18.||Depot (Vland 2728)||Kuushi||A59466A-C||D||Ag Ni / Da Mr||Vl: Vland||Gas Giant|
|19.||Depot (Zarushagar 1920)||None||A68886B-C||D||Ri Pa Ph / Pz Mr||None||None|
- - = No continuing control,
- An = Antares
- Da = Daibei
- II = Ilelish
- Im = Imperial (Lucan)
- Ma = Margaret
- No = Norris (Deneb)
- So = Solomani
- St = Strephon
- VI = Vland
|This article has metadata.|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|