Universal Manufacturing Template
- It is a key manufacturing technology within Charted Space.
Library Data Referral Tree
UMT's are very specific data files that describe in excruciating detail the specifications to manufacturing a technological device. They contain critical pathways, dual use methodologies, prerequisite technology paths, and in depth instructions for both an object and all of the technologies leading to it. Such information can be incredibly valuable or decidingly commonplace. The simpler UMT's can be purchased from the street peddlers of more technologically advanced worlds while more sensitive technologies might only be available on megacorporation fab worlds or naval depots.
Interstellar Industrial Manufacturing Standards
Ancient Terra once had an organization called the ISO (International Organization of Standards), which created manufacturing standards for the various nation-states of Old Earth. The Rule of Man brought a similar idea to the Second Imperium and overlaid the idea on the manufacturing capabilities of the Vilani Bureaux. From that fertile cross-pollination of two industrial giants was developed the Imperial Naval Depot system and several manufacturing standardization schemes.
Standardized Ship Designs
Standard Designs: There are a number of standard design plans known as Universal Manufacturing Template (UMTs) widely available; they have been in use for a long time, and are available for a nominal fee (Cr100 for the set).
- Starships: Standard starship plans available are: 100-ton Scout/Courier, 200-ton Free Trader, 200-ton Yacht, 400-ton Subsidized Merchant, 600-ton Subsidized Liner, 800-ton Mercenary Cruiser, and 400-ton Patrol Cruiser.
- Smallcraft: Standard plans are also available for the following small craft: 20-ton Launch, 30-ton Ship's Boat, 30-ton Slow Boat, 40-ton Pinnace, 40-ton Slow Pinnace, 50-ton Cutter, 95-ton Shuttle, and 10-ton Fighter.
- Other standard plans may be available at various localities. Standard designs are easier to produce; their prices reflect a 10.0% reduction in normal pricing. The details of the standard designs are shown in naval manuals. Standard design vessels are often available used (…10 to 40 years old) at reductions in price ranging from 10.0% to 40.0%, as indicated by local restrictions. 
Long ago, the Imperial Naval Depot System worked out means for not only classifying the technological levels of manufactured goods, and standard codes to name an object, but also the other qualities and characteristics of any manufactured item. This system, the QREBS System is used throughout the Third Imperium and beyond.
QREBS stands for:
No information yet available.
Most Common Standardized Smallcraft Types
- Cutter (50-ton)
- Fighter (10-ton)
- Launch (20-ton)
- Pinnace (40-ton)
- Ship's Boat (30-ton)
- Shuttle (95-ton)
- Slow Boat (30-ton)
- Slow Pinnace (40-ton)
Most Common Standardized Starship Types
- Free Trader (Type A) (200-ton)
- Mercenary Cruiser (Type C) (800-ton)
- Safari Ship (Type K) (200-ton)
- Laboratory Ship (Type L) (400-ton)
- Subsidized Liner (Type M) (600-ton)
- Subsidized Merchant (Type R) (400-ton)
- Scout/Courier (Type S) (100-ton)
- Patrol Cruiser (Type T) (400-ton)
- Yacht (Type Y) (200-ton)
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Manufacturing. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. The text of Wikipedia is available under the Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|