Low Berth Rack
- Low Passage is transportation while in cold sleep (suspended animation). It is available at relatively low cost to the passenger. The term Low Passage or Low Berth is used in Charted Space to define any form of low cost, tight packing of transportees, but in the Imperium it refers only to suspended animation.
- This device is used to transport a "frozen passenger" and is also commonly known as Cryo Capsule, CryoBerth, Cryogenic Berth, Cryo Coffins.
- It is a kind of Ship Equipment.
Interior fittings: Deck plans typically show various furnishings and fittings which appear within the ship.  Furniture hinders movement and may, in some instances, blocks sighting and weapon fire as well. 
- ”Low Passage” is a type of accommodation. Broad categories of accommodations are Cryo Berth, Chill Berth, and Warm Berth.
- Cryo Berth reduces body temperature to cryogenic levels stopping all bodily functions. Cryo Berths include Cryogenic Berths, Stasis Berths, and Emergency Low Berths.
- Chill Berths reduce body temperature (...for humans from 5C to 30C) thus reducing bodily functions and consciousness.
- Warm Berths are at normal active temperatures and include Staterooms, Bunks, Steerage Berths, and Fast Drug Berths. 
- Miscellaneous: Low berths are stacked (...usually) three high. They are coffin-sized containers, with readouts monitoring the vital signs of transportees mounted at convenient locations. Double stacked and standing (...slightly inclined) are also available but rarer. Standing berths have extra restraints and are used primarily orbit to orbit to avoid atmospheric turbulence injuries. 
- Low Berth Racks are inherently dangerous and mortality rates are statistically high even if the odds are relatively low compared to other interstellar dangers. Extended stays are more dangerous but less so than repeated freezing/thawing. They come in a vast variety of sizes, makes, models, and types. Many are dedicated units for cheap interstellar travel, while others are specialized for emergency medical use. At TL-12 and on the Cryo Capsule can be separated from the freeze/thaw mechanism and be moved as a stretcher for short periods. The use of the Frozen Watch is another application of this technology.  
- Some societies in Charted Space have used them as sophont time capsules, living their finite lives over centuries or even millennia. The legend of Giirkha Girgi has inspired some to becomes Winkles as part of Timer Clubs. In some societies, those wishing to get away from undesirable situations may use low berths to let these pass, such as the unemployed, athletes in the off season, criminals wishing to run out statutes of limitations, etc.  
No information yet available.
Low Berth Variants And Alternatives Table
|Low Berth Variants and Alternatives|
|Type||1. TL||2. Max Time||3. Medic Required||4. Recovery Time||5. Operating Cost||6. Conscience||7. Space||8. Aging||9. Side effects|
|Steerage Berth||TL:1-3+||7-SOC weeks||Yes||None||Cr2,000.0||Yes||1.0 Ton||x2||Mental disorders, physical diseases, etc.|
|Hypothermic Berth||TL:7-9+||TL-7 weeks||Yes||3 hours||Cr200.0||Semi||0.5 Ton||1/2||Death, Heart issues, Confusion, etc.|
|Near-Cryogenic Berth||TL:7-9+||indefinite||Yes||6 hours+||Cr2000.0||No||1 Ton||1/60||Death, Heart issues, Confusion, etc.|
|Cryogenic Berth||TL:7-9+||Indefinite||Yes||40 minutes||Cr100.0||No||0.5 Ton||No Aging||Death, frost bite, etc.|
|Emergency Low Berth||TL:7-9+||TL-7 weeks||Yes||3 hours||Cr400.0||No||0.5 Ton||No Aging||Death, Heart issues, Confusion, etc.|
|Fast Drug Berth||TL:10-12+||Aging limit||No||Minutes||Cr3,133.0||Yes||1.0 Ton||1/60||Drug withdrawal, diseases, lifting injuries, etc.|
|Early Stasis Berth||TL:13-15+||Indefinite||Yes||20 minutes||Cr100.0||No||0.5 Ton||No Aging||Death, frost bite, etc.|
|Stasis Berth||TL:19-21+||Indefinite||Yes||20 minutes||Cr0.0||No||0.5 Ton||No Aging||None|
Low Berth Explication
|Low Berth Explication|
|Steerage Berth||TL:1-3+||This is not a cold sleep device (listed here as an alternative to cold sleep). Bunks normally stacked 3-4 high with shared fresher and small common area. No change to aging from steerage (...unless psychosis increases aging). Side effects include mental disorders (claustrophobia, PSTD, anxiety, depression, etc), physical injuries thus related, diseases. Due to the high risk of diseases and plague ships many ports will not allow Steerage Passengers, some may quarantine ships and passengers upon arrival and thus effect ship schedule. Illegal in the Imperium. |
|Hypothermic Berth||TL:7-9+||Also known as a Chill Berth. Induced hypothermia (body temp between 5C and 30C for humans) reduces heart rate and oxygen use primarily for surgical purposes. Primary method of suspended animation used in AutoDocs. Requires closer monitoring than CryoBerths. Learning programs or audio entertainment can be used by the occupant. Slows aging by half or more at lower temperatures, lower temperatures reduces the effectiveness of learning programs. Side effects include death, heart issues, confusion, and higher risk of pneumonia. Confusion normally clears in 1-6 days, arrhythmias, pneumonia, low platelet counts, and low white count can be treated through normal medicine.  |
|Near-Cryogenic Berth||TL:7-9+||In an attempt to reduce aging and improve survivability of long sleeps, one variant of the Hypothermic Berth was a Near-Cryogenic Berth (body temp between -5C and 5C for humans). The technologically is crude and requires the patient to wear a special suit, with many tubes connecting it to the container itself for the many sensors, but also for the various body fluids the container and the patient will exchange, including several catheters and probes. In particular, the blood of the patient is mixed in high ratio, or sometimes even completely replaced, with an artificial fluid whose function is similar to formaldehyde : preserving the body from decay. Other fluids which need to be controlled include oxygen (or other breathing gases), saline solution (to control body dehydration), excrements and so on. At the end of the cold sleep, the artificial preserving fluid is filtered out. No need to say, this is somehow traumatizing for the body, which explains why cold sleep is risky for the health of the patient.|
|Cryogenic Berth||TL:7-9+||Also known as CryoBerth, Cryo Capsules, Cryo Coffins. Standard Low Berth in known space, uses extremely low temperatures to produce a state of suspended animation. Once frozen, the room can be brought to vacuum and the occupants can remain in suspended animation for hundreds or even thousands of years. No aging occurs in a CryoBerth. If more than a year is spent in suspended animation then it is best to have a full doctor available for the reanimation process, whereas during normal transportation process a trained medic is sufficient. No medical procedures can be preformed on a person in a CryoBerth. Side effects include death, frost bite to extremities, and neurological damage. Neurological damage normally heals in 1-6 weeks, Frost bite can be treated with regrowth or prosthetics. |
|Emergency Low Berth||TL:7-9+||Cryogenic Berth, Early Stasis Berth, or Stasis Berth for 4 people with single mechanism and master control, with activation button inside and outside so master occupant can activate. All occupants suffer the same fate.|
|Fast Drug Berth||TL:10-12+||This is not a cold sleep device (listed here as an alternative to cold sleep). Same as the steerage berth with the passengers under Fast Drug to prevent psychological side effects. Up till TL12, the passenger will be under the influence of the drug for 60 days, after TL12 the antidote is available and the the effects can be stopped at end of passage. Cost drops for long passages, the base of Cr2,900 is for the drugs required (60 days or fraction thereof) and Cr233 per week life support. While Fast Drug slows the metabolism of the passenger, it may not affect germs in the air, thus still having possibility of becoming a plague ship with the resulting port restrictions. Muscle strain and bone injuries are possible, as holding/lifting anything will be 60 times longer than expected and fast drug does not increase endurance.|
|Early Stasis Berth||TL:13-15+||Similar to Cryogenic Berth except uses gravitic, sonic, and damper technology to reduce the body temperature from the core out, but still uses extremely low temperatures to maintain suspended animation. Becomes the Standard Low Berth upon availability. No aging occurs in an Early Stasis Berth. No medical procedures can be preformed on a person in an Early Stasis Berth. Side effects are the same as Cryogenic Berths but at a decreased level.  |
|Stasis Berth||TL:19-21+||Damper theory developed to the point of being able to reduce the action of all molecules. No aging occurs in a Stasis Berth. No medical procedures can be preformed on a person in a Stasis Berth. Extremely low chance of death. |
Low Berth Revival Process
The exact details of the revival process depend upon the exact cryogenic technology used, its TL sophistication, and other details.
- However, as a rough rule, civilian low passage berths take about 30 to 40 minutes for the revival process to work.
- Emergency Low Berths take twice as long to revive.
- Military grade berths take about 15 to 20 minutes for the revival process, with dressing and getting to station approximately 40 minutes.
Unfortunately, the low passage system involves some intrinsic dangers to the passenger, and he runs some risk of not surviving the voyage.
- A certified medic is required to be present during revival.
- Refunds or civil liability if a low passenger fails to survive the trip are not allowed.
The Low Lottery
The Low Lottery: It is customary for the captain to contribute Cr10 out of each low passage towards a lottery. Each low passenger randomly guesses the number of low passengers who will survive the trip. If the winner does not himself survive, the captain receives the money. The ship's steward administers the lottery. 
Expected Low Berth Development Sequence
COLD SLEEP DEVICES & RELATED TECHNOLOGIES:
COLD SLEEP ALTERNATIVES:
Cold Sleep Usage Outside the Third Imperium
|Charted Space Attitudes to Cold Sleep|
|Aslan||Aslan Hierate||They use Steerage and Cryo Berths but a few use bunks and a meditative trance like state (...effects similar to a Fast Drug Berth).|
|Droyne||Droyne Oytrip Yatroy||They use bunks and psionic suspended animation.|
|Hiver||Hive Federation||They have a much higher mortality rate in Cryogenic and Chill Berths and therefore do not use them.|
|Solomani||Solomani Confederation||They use all forms of mass passage.|
|Sword Worlder||Sword Worlds Confederation||They prefer Chill Berths.|
|Imperial Sophonts||Third Imperium||Cryo Berths are standard and Steerage is outlawed due to Vilani influence. Fast Drug Berths have gotten limited approval but are highly monitored.|
|K'kree||Two Thousand Worlds||They are too claustrophobic for any type of tight packing transportation.|
|Vargr||Vargr Extents||They have no consensus or racial preference for any form of mass passage.|
|Vilani||Ziru Sirka (subsumed)||They are morally opposed to Steerage and thus prefer Cryo Berths|
|Zhodani||Zhodani Consulate||They use bunks and psionic suspended animation, but both Cryo and Chill Berths are sometimes available in the Consulate for non-psionics.|
|This article is missing content for one or more detailed sections. Additional details are required to complete the article. You can help the Traveller Wiki by expanding it.|